|Full name||Mohammad Mahmudullah Riyad|
4 February 1986 |
|Height||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Bowling||Right Arm Off Break|
|Relations||Jannatul Kawsar Mishti (wife) (m.2011)|
|Test debut (cap 55)||9 July 2009 v West Indies|
|Last Test||31 January 2018 v Sri Lanka|
|ODI debut (cap 84)||25 July 2007 v Sri Lanka|
|Last ODI||January 27 2018 v Sri Lanka|
|ODI shirt no.||30|
|T20I debut (cap 13)||1 September 2007 v Kenya|
|Last T20I||29 October 2017 v South Africa|
|T20I shirt no.||30|
|Domestic team information|
|2012||Basnahira Cricket Dundee|
|2016 – present||Khulna Titans|
|2017 – present||Quetta Gladiators|
|2017 – present||Jamaica Tallawahs|
Source: ESPNcricinfo, 24 May 2017
Mohammad Mahmudullah Riyad (Bengali: মোহাম্মদ মাহমুদুল্লাহ রিয়াদ; born 4 February 1986), commonly known as Mahmudullah, is a Bangladeshi cricketer and a former Test and T20I captain. Currently he is the Test vice captain for Bangladesh. He has played First-class and List A cricket for Dhaka Division and has represented Bangladesh in all forms of the game. An all-rounder, he is a lower or middle-order batsman as well as an off spin bowler. He is the first Bangladeshi to score a World Cup hundred.
- 1 Domestic career
- 2 International career
- 3 Brand endorsement
- 4 Personal life
- 5 International centuries
- 6 International Awards
- 7 See also
- 8 References
- 9 External links
In the 2008/09 Bangladeshi domestic season Mahmudullah finished as the second-highest run-scorer in the competition with 710 runs at an average of 54.61 and was subsequently recalled to the ODI squad to face Zimbabwe in three ODIs and a tri-series with Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe. Mahmudullah made his Test debut on 9 July 2009 against the West Indies. He performed poorly with the bat, but obtained the best test bowling figures in a match by a Bangladeshi on debut, with an eight-wicket haul, including a five wicket haul in the second innings. This played a major role in Bangladesh's second Test win, and the first on foreign soil. He is now a regular member in the squad.
The Bangladesh Cricket Board founded the six-team Bangladesh Premier League in 2012, a twenty20 tournament to be held in February that year. An auction was held for teams to buy players, and Mahmadullah was bought by the Chittagong Kings for $110,000.
Mahmudullah Riyad is the highest-paid cricketer in Dhaka Premier Division Cricket League 2017–18, Mahmudullah was the first pick in the player by choice draft for the Dhaka Premier League. He was acquired by Sheikh Jamal Dhanmondi Club. 
Mahmudullah was called up for Bangladesh's ODI squad for the three-match series against Sri Lanka in Bangladesh's tour of the country in July 2007. He made his debut on the tour, in the third ODI, where he was Bangladesh's second highest scorer (with 36) and also took 2 wickets, in a match Sri Lanka won by 39 runs. He went on to be picked for Bangladesh's squads for a Quadrangular Series in Kenya in 2007 and the 2007 Twenty20 World Championship.
As permanent member
Although Mahmudullah scored a Test century batting at number 8 against New Zealand, the selection committee preferred not to promote him up the order due to a perceived weakness against fast bowling, despite the number four spot having no permanent occupant. He was included in Bangladesh's 15-man squad for the 2011 ICC Cricket World Cup. On 20 September, Mahmudullah was named Bangladesh's vice-captain, taking over from Tamim Iqbal after the previous captain and deputy were sacked. When West Indies toured in October, Mahmudullah missed all the fixtures with a viral fever. He recovered in time to rejoin the squad to face Pakistan in three ODIs in November. Mahmudullah scored 56 runs and bowled in just one match, taking three wicket from seven deliveries.
Memorable 2015 World Cup
On 9 March 2015, in the 2015 ICC Cricket World Cup, against England, he scored the first century by a Bangladeshi batsman in World Cup history. Bangladesh went on to win the match and went through to the quarter finals. In the next match, on 13 March, he scored another World Cup century, this time against New Zealand, although New Zealand won by 3 wickets. In six matches in the World Cup he scored 365 runs at an average of 73.00.
2017 ICC Champions Trophy
Mahmudullah scored a century against New Zealand in a crucial virtual Quarterfinals for the semi-final berth.In that same match he along with Shakib Al Hasan set the record for the highest 5th wicket partnership in ICC Champions Trophy history with 224-run partnership.
In January 2018, during the Bangladesh Tri-series final against Sri Lanka, permanent Test captain Shakib injured his left little finger which resulted in bruising and swelling and ruled out from the Test series against Sri Lanka. With that Mahmudullah was named as the captain for the Test team. On 31 January 2018, he became the tenth player to lead Bangladesh in Tests. Shakib Al Hasan was also ruled out of the first T20I, with Mahmudullah once again named as captain in his place. Under his captaincy, Bangladesh recorded their highest total in T20Is (193/5), but finally lost the match for Sri Lanka.
Mahmudullah was signed up by sports agency Imago Sports Management after the 2015 Cricket World Cup. Since 2015, Imago Sports Management has been managing Mahmudullah. HeidelbergCement Bangladesh Limited, a global cement company, has recently endorsed Mahmudullah Riyad, first Bangladeshi to score a century in the World Cup, for its product Scan Cement. Mahmudullah Riyad is the first Bangladeshi centurion in World Cup who signed a contract with HeidelbergCement Bangladesh Limited. Next one year Mahmudullah Riyad will be featured on Scan Cement bill board, TVC and other promotional activities. Beside that, Mahmudullah tag with Helio (Mobile Handset Brand) for their social media content and Raw Nation (bat sponsor).   As of February 2017 Mahmudullah Riyad has endorsement deals with Cheer Up, a beverage brand of PRAN. 
USAID’s Goodwill Ambassador for youth and development in Bangladesh
Mahmudullah will work with United States Agency for International Development to engage thousands of young people via social media and public service announcements on the importance of youth empowerment in Bangladesh, and the need to increase education and nutrition, and reduce gender-based violence. 
On 25 June 2011, Mahmud married Jannatul Kawsar Mishti. On 3 June 2012, he became the father of a son.
|Mahmudullah Riyad's Test centuries|
|1||115||5||New Zealand||Hamilton, New Zealand||Seddon Park||15 February 2010||Lost|
One Day International centuries
|Mahmudullah Riyad's One Day International centuries|
|1||103||114||England||Adelaide, Australia||Adelaide Oval||9 March 2015||Won|
|2||128*||115||New Zealand||Hamilton, New Zealand||Seddon Park||13 March 2015||Lost|
|3||102*||144||New Zealand||Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom||Sophia Gardens||9 June 2017||Won|
One-Day International Cricket
Man of the Match awards
|S No||Opponent||Venue||Date||Match Performance||Result|
|1||West Indies||Warner Park, Basseterre||31 July 2009||7–0–38–2, 1 ct. ; 51* (70 balls, 2x4, 1x6)||Bangladesh won by 3 wickets.|
|2||West Indies||Shere Bangla Stadium, Dhaka||8 December 2012||10–1–38–2 ; 48 (45 balls, 7x4)||Bangladesh won by 2 wickets.|
|3||Zimbabwe||Shere Bangla Stadium, Dhaka||28 November 2014||82* (112 balls, 6x4) ; 4–0–31–0, 1 ct.||Bangladesh won by 21 runs.|
|4||England||Adelaide Oval, Adelaide||9 March 2015||103 (138 balls, 7x4, 2x6)||Bangladesh won by 15 runs.|
Twenty20 International Cricket
Man of the Match Awards
|1||2016 Asia Cup||26 February 2016||United Arab Emirates||36* (27 balls: 1x4, 2x6) ; 2–0–5–2 ; 1 ct.||Bangladesh won by 51 runs.|
- "Shahadat and Kayes dropped for ODIs". ESPNcricinfo. 7 June 2011. Retrieved 2011-06-19.
- "1st Test: West Indies v Bangladesh at Kingstown, Jul 9–13, 2009". espncricinfo. Retrieved 2011-12-18.
- Engineer, Tariq (28 December 2011), Bangladesh Premier League to begin on February 9, Cricinfo, retrieved 2012-01-20
- Isam, Mohammad (19 January 2012), Afridi and Gayle fetch highest BPL prices, Cricinfo, retrieved 2012-01-20
- Bangladesh Premier League: players standing after auction (PDF), Cricinfo, retrieved 2012-01-20
- "Brad Hodge opts out of PSL, Quetta Gladiators name Mahmudullah as replacement". 28 January 2017.
- "Mahmudullah first Icon player picked in DPL draft".
- Maksud (17 March 2017). "Abahani signs Mahmudullah for DPL-2017 – BDCricTime".
- "3rd ODI: Sri Lanka v Bangladesh at Colombo (RPS)". 25 July 2007. Retrieved 2007-09-01.
- "Twenty20 Quadrangular (in Kenya), 2007/08 – Bangladesh Squad". 25 August 2007. Retrieved 2007-09-01.
- "ICC World Twenty20, 2007/08 – Bangladesh Squad". ESPNcricinfo. 9 August 2007. Retrieved 2007-09-01.
- Isam, Mohammad (12 July 2011), Plenty to ponder for Bangladesh selectors, ESPNcricinfo, retrieved 2011-07-12
- Mashrafe Mortaza not in World Cup squad, ESPNcricinfo, 19 January 2011, retrieved 2011-02-04
- Mushfiqur Rahim named Bangladesh captain, Cricinfo, 20 September 2011, retrieved 2011-09-20
- Razzak dropped for West Indies Tests; Shafiul injured, ESPNricinfo, 18 October 2011, retrieved 2011-10-18
- Ashraful recalled for Pakistan Tests, Cricinfo, 7 December 2011, retrieved 2011-12-14
- Records / Pakistan in Bangladesh ODI Series, 2011/12 / Most runs, Cricinfo, retrieved 2011-12-14
- Records / Pakistan in Bangladesh ODI Series, 2011/12 / Most wickets, Cricinfo, retrieved 2011-12-14
- Mahmudullah, Rubel knock England out, Cricinfo, 9 March 2015, retrieved 2015-03-09
- "Batting and fielding for Bangladesh, World Cup 2014–15". CricketArchive. Retrieved 23 March 2015.
- "Cricket Records | Records | / | Bangladesh | One-Day Internationals | Highest partnerships by wicket | ESPN Cricinfo". Cricinfo. Retrieved 2017-08-30.
- "Cricket Records | Records | ICC Champions Trophy (ICC KnockOut) | Highest partnerships by wicket | ESPN Cricinfo". Cricinfo. Retrieved 2017-06-17.
- "Finger injury rules Shakib out of first Sri Lanka Test". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 27 January 2018.
- "In-form Sri Lanka look to upset hosts Bangladesh". International Cricket Council. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "Didn't want it this way but excited: Mahmudullah". BDCrictime. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "Nazmul Hossain Apu replaces Shakib Al Hasan in squad for first T20I". Sport24. Retrieved 13 February 2018.
- "Kusal Mendis, Thisara Perera overpower Bangladesh". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 15 February 2018.
- The Daily Star, Published on 13 April 2015, http://www.thedailystar.net/sports/bangladesh-favourites-says-riyad-77101/
- Heidelberg Cement Bangladesh Limited has endorsed Mahmudullah Ryadh, The Independent, http://www.theindependentbd.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=254651:ryad-wants-to-start-afresh-against-pakistan&catid=154:sports-cricket&Itemid=138
- "The business of sports – Dhaka Tribune". www.dhakatribune.com.
- "Mahmudullah becomes Cheer Up brand ambassador".
- "Mahmudullah Riyad with his new bride", The Daily Star, 26 June 2011, retrieved 2011-07-25
- "Bangladesh in West Indies ODI Series, 2009 – 3rd ODI".
- "West Indies in Bangladesh ODI Series, 2012 – 5th ODI".
- "Zimbabwe in Bangladesh ODI Series, 2014 – 4th ODI".
- "ICC Cricket World Cup, 2015 – 33rd match, Pool A".
- "Asia Cup – 2nd Match – Bangladesh v UAE Scorecard". ESPNcricinfo. 26 February 2016. Retrieved 26 February 2016.