Mahtomedi Senior High School
|Mahtomedi Senior High School|
|8000 75th Street North
Mahtomedi, Minnesota, Washington County 55115
|Principal||Kathe Jo Anne Nickleby
Luanne Wagner (Asst.)
|Student to teacher ratio||23:1|
|Color(s)||Blue and Gold|
|Athletics conference||Metro East|
|Rivals||St. Thomas Academy, Hill Murray High School, North High School|
|Website||Mahtomedi High School|
Mahtomedi Senior High School is a four year public high school located in Mahtomedi, Minnesota. The school houses grades 9-12 with a total population of approximately 1,146 students. About 22% of this population are from surrounding districts due to open enrollment. The school colors are blue and gold, and the athletic teams are known as the Zephyrs. The district (district #0832) was created in 1870, and the original high school was built in 1930. In 1970 a new High School building was constructed several miles south east of the original building and this remains the current High School campus. Based on standardized test scores the state has awarded the school a five-star rating, the highest level that can be achieved. Newsweek recently ranked the school #675 in its "List of the 1200 Top High Schools in America." The school has also made adequate yearly progress in compliance with No Child Left Behind standards. As of 2015 the school had a demographic of 91% Caucasian, 2% Black, 2% Asian, 2 % Two or more races, 2 % Hispanic or Latino, and 1% Native American. Finally, out of the total population, only 9% of students qualify for free or reduced lunch. Mahtomedi competes in the Metro East Conference (formerly known as the Classic Suburban Conference), having joined that conference at its inception in 2001 soon after being a founding member of the Metro Alliance in 1997. Prior to 1997, Mahtomedi was a member of the Tri-Metro Conference.
Mahtomedi High School has a high ranking academic program. Among the top ranked 1,200 high schools in the nation, Mahtomedi placed 663rd. The chart below depicts Mahtomedi academic achievement in comparison to the Minnesota and United States averages for the 2006-2007 school year.
|Average ACT score||Average GPA||Graduation Rate|
Some other notable academic accomplishments include Mahtomedi’s 513 students taking advanced placement classes, and, of the students who take the AP exams after these classes, an 80% passing rate. About 90% of students continue on to college after graduation, and Mahtomedi High School has a dropout rate of 1%.
In 2006, the Mahtomedi School District has proposed a plan to create a magnet program within the high school. This program will focus mainly on technology and engineering, to hopefully increase enrollment. As of 2015, the proposition has not been implemented.
Awards and honors
- National Meeting of American Association of Physics Teachers
- January 2007, Scot Hovan- Gave a presentation on circuits
- Outstanding Chemistry Teacher Award from the American Chemical Society
- 2007- Jenny Steiger
- Presidential Award for Mathematics and Science Teacher
- 2007- Scot Hovan for Science
- National Environment Protection Agency, Energy Star Leader Award
- Only 25 other schools nationwide have achieved this award, 6 of which are in Minnesota
- The Mahtomedi School District saved over $105,596 in the 2005-2006 school year
- National Blue Ribbon Award
- Mahtomedi Senior High School was bestowed with this national award. It is one of two schools in Minnesota to receive it in 2015.
- Girls Tennis - 1 State Championship
- Boys Soccer - 1 State Championship
- Girls Soccer - 6 State Championships
- Boys Alpine Skiing - 9 State Championships
- Girls Gymnastics - 10 State Championships, 8 Sportsmanship Awards
- Football - 1 State Championship
- Wrestling - 2 State Champions
- Golf - 1 State Championship
- Boys and Girls Nordic Skiing - Numerous Conference and Section Championships
Mahtomedi High School competes in the Minnesota High School League, and has athletic teams for fall, winter and spring sports. These teams include boys' and girls' soccer, boys' and girls' cross country, football, girls' swimming and diving, volleyball, boys' and girls' tennis, boys' and girls' basketball, gymnastics, Alpine and Nordic skiing, boys' and girls' hockey, wrestling, baseball, softball, boys' and girls' golf, boys' and girls' lacrosse, and boys' and girls' track and field. All teams play at both the Junior Varsity and Varsity levels.
- "The Top of the Class". The complete list of the 1,200 top U.S. schools. MSNBC. 2007. Retrieved 2007-05-23.
- "2015 National Blue Ribbon Schools Program" (PDF). p. 4. Retrieved 2017-03-12.
- "The National Blue Ribbon Schools Program Award Winners". nationalblueribbonschools.ed.gov. Retrieved 2017-03-12.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Mahtomedi High School