||Look up 麥 in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.
Mai is a Chinese surname. It is commonly transliterated as Mak in Hong Kong, based on the Cantonese pronunciation. The meaning of the Chinese character is either wheat or barley. Other transliterations of the surname include Mack, Mark, Mac, and Mach.
Notable people with the surname
- Clement Mak, Former Permanent Secretary of the Constitutional Affairs Bureau
- Alan Mak, Hong Kong director
- Alan Mak, British politician
- Alice Mak, Chinese cartoonist and creator of McMug/McDull
- Juno Mak, Hong Kong singer
- Teresa Mak, Hong Kong actress, known for the role of Fang Yi (方怡) in The Duke of Mount Deer (2000 TV series)
- Dennis Mak, Hong Kong singer
- Tak Wah Mak, Chinese Canadian award-winning researcher known for discovery of the T-cell receptor
- Evergreen Mak Cheung-ching, Hong Kong TVB actor
- Matthew Mak, Hong Kong linguist