Mail delivery agent
A mail delivery agent or message delivery agent (MDA) is a computer software component that is responsible for the delivery of e-mail messages to a local recipient's mailbox. It is also called a local delivery agent (LDA).
Within the Internet mail architecture, local message delivery is achieved through a process of handling messages from the message transfer agent, and storing mail into the recipient's environment (typically a mailbox).
Many mail handling software products bundle multiple message delivery agents with the message transfer agent component, providing for site customization of the specifics of mail delivery to a user.
List of MDA software for Unix-like platforms
- Cyrus IMAP - A mail server suite that includes a mail delivery agent
- dovecot - A mail server suite that includes a mail delivery agent
- fetchmail - Primarily a Mail retrieval agent (MRA)
- getmail - simpler, more secure, modern fetchmail alternative
- maildrop or courier-maildrop (same program?) - traditional procmail replacement
- procmail - obsolete since it is unmaintained; old, but still used
- bin/mail, the MDA part of Sendmail - Sendmail is one of the oldest email packages
- sieve - a more modern replacement for procmail from the GNU Mailutils package
- Message transfer agent (MTA)
- Mail retrieval agent (MRA)
- Mail submission agent (MSA)
- Mail user agent (MUA) a.k.a. email client
- E-mail agent (infrastructure) (MxA)