|Initial release||April 1, 2013|
2.3.4/ April 5, 2016
|Written in||WPF and C#|
|Operating system||Windows 7 and later|
It was awarded Best Windows Email Software Program in 2015, and 2014 by IT World and in 2013 by PC World and the email software program differentiates itself from other email clients like Thunderbird, Outlook and Windows Live Mail especially by having a simple design, focusing on speed and offering a platform for email productivity, by allowing other developers to develop applications for the Mailbird open-source app community and platform. The company headquarters is based in the Livit Tech Startup Ecosystem in Bali, Indonesia. In March 2015, Mailbird launched version 2.0, with new features such as Email Snooze, Video Meetings and Speed Reader, and also added integrations for Facebook, WhatsApp, Veeting Rooms and more.
The first version of the Mailbird email software program was created in January 2012 by Danish Co-Founders and serial entrepreneurs Michael Olsen & Michael Bodekaer. The main reason for creating Mailbird came from their frustration with other current email clients like Postbox and Thunderbird, which were too slow and had a cluttered non-intuitive user interface in their view. Bodekaer and Olsen wanted to innovate the email experience, and create a better email software program which would address these challenges in other email clients. After receiving very positive feedback and pre-beta signups, they decided to found the company under the name of Mailbird and assemble a team in February & March 2012.
In January 2013, Mailbird opened their beta to the public on an invite-only basis.
On April 1, 2013, Mailbird Beta was released to the public.
On January 27, 2014, Mailbird 1.0 was released to the public.
On March 17, 2015, Mailbird 2.0 was released to the public.
Awards and recognition
- Best Free Email Client for Windows in May 2013 by PC World.
- Best Free Email Client for Windows in January 27, 2014 by IT World.
- Best Free Email Client for Windows in March 2015 by IT World.
- "Best Free Email Clients for Windows". windowsable.com. Retrieved 2016-07-29.
- Ingraham, Nathan (2013-04-01). "Mailbird is a fast, lightweight, Sparrow-inspired Gmail app for Windows users". The Verge.
- Ingraham, Nathan (2013-03-27). "Mailbird Is Like Sparrow for Windows (and We've Got Invites)". Lifehacker.
- Mombrea, Matthew (2015-03-17). "Mailbird 2.0 - Still the best Email client for Windows and Gmail". IT World.
- Paul, Ian (2013-05-27). "Best free stuff, 2013 edition: The productive businessperson". PC World.
- Ingraham, Nathan (2013-04-01). "Mailbird, A Sparrow-Like Client For Windows, Is Making Email A Platform, Not Just An Application". TechCrunch.
- Mombrea, Matthew (2014-01-27). "Mailbird - The best email client for Windows + Gmail". IT World.