Maimonides Schools for Jewish Studies
|Location||Toronto and Hamilton, Ontario, Canada|
|Colours||Burgundy & black|
Maimonides Schools for Jewish Studies (MSJS) is a degree-granting institution invested with university powers operating pursuant to an act of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Ontario 1968-69. The school is classified as a privately funded Ontario institution with authority to grant Baccalaureate, Masters and Doctorate degrees. Maimonides College, a division of MSJS, offers undergraduate degree programs with major concentrations in the field of Jewish Studies. Maimonides is authorized to offer courses in any discipline and provides undergraduate students with a well-rounded education in the humanities and sciences.
Based in Ontario, Maimonides seeks to educate learners to become knowledgeable and creative participants in society through various course offerings and distant learning programs.
The Legislative Assembly of the Province of Ontario established and chartered the Maimonides Schools of Jewish Studies as an institute of higher learning invested with university powers in 1969. Maimonides College has locations in Ontario as well as an office in the United States; known as Maimonides Great Lakes Administrative Office & Office of Distant (or Distance) Education. This new location primarily serves as an administrative office for the distance education programs, which attract many students from the United States.
The Maimonides Schools for Jewish Studies offers classes in Jewish studies for adult learners in the Greater Toronto Area. Each year, there are three ten-week quarters. Degree and non-degree learners participate. Classes may also be taken for graduate degrees: Master of Jewish General Studies (MJGS) and Master of Arts in Jewish Studies (MAJS).
Areas of study
- Classic texts of Jewish tradition (text): Tanakh and related literature, Classical rabbinic literature and Codes and responsa literature.
- Jewish philosophy and thought (concept): Medieval Jewish philosophy, Modern Jewish philosophy and Jewish mysticism, kabbalah, hasidut, musar.
- History and culture of Jewish civilizations (Context): Ancient, Medieval and Modern
- List of colleges and universities named after people
- Ontario Student Assistance Program
- Higher education in Ontario
- Official website
- Privately Funded Ontario Institutions with Degree-Granting Authority at Ontario Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Maimonides Schools for Jewish Studies.|
|This Canadian university, college, or tertiary institution–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|