This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Logo of MainConcept
|Traded as||NASDAQ: DIVX|
|Founded||Aachen, Germany, 1993|
|Founder||Markus Mönig, Thomas Zabel|
|James Hale, Richard Campbell, Trevor Renfield|
|Products||codecs, applications, plug-ins|
Number of employees
|> 100 employees worldwide|
|Parent||Since February 2015, a wholly owned subsidiary of NeuLion, Inc.|
MainConcept GmbH is a software company founded in Germany by Markus Moenig and Thomas Zabel. They specialize in developing video/audio codecs and also applications and plug-ins related to video/audio encoding. They are a subsidiary of NeuLion, Inc. with employees in Germany, Russia, United States and Japan.
MainConcept is a video codec supplier founded in 1993 in Aachen, Germany and a board member of the MPEG Industry Forum. The Russian video codec company Elecard discussed an opportunity to become part of the company between April 2005 and August 2006. In November 2007 MainConcept became a wholly owned subsidiary of DivX, Inc. In June 2010, Sonic Solutions acquired DivX and its subsidiaries in a cash and stock deal valued at $323 million. Rovi Corporation acquired Sonic Solutions (including the MainConcept business) in February 2011 and later sold off the DivX and MainConcept businesses in April 2014. In February 2015, NeuLion, Inc. acquired DivX, LLC including the MainConcept business.
In August 2007, Adobe Systems licensed the H.264 and AAC technology developed by MainConcept for integration into its Adobe Flash Player software. In April 2010 MainConcept signed a strategic collaboration agreement with AMD to accelerate digital video encode. In September 2010, the company launched MainConcept Reference 2.1 for Mac/Windows providing enhanced support for Mac OS 10.5/10.6, Apple iPad, HTML5.
On June 4, 2013, Rovi Corporation released the MainConcept HEVC SDK 1.0. SDK 1.0 supports Smart Adaptive Bitrate Encoding Technology (SABET) which allows for the simultaneous encoding of up to 10 video output streams with reduced computing cost. SDK 1.0 is available for Windows and SDK 1.0.1, which will be released in July 2013, will add support for Linux and Mac OS X. SDK 1.0 supports the Main profile while SDK 2.0, which will be released in Q4 2013, will add support for the Main 10 profile.
IP licensing / SDK products
|MPEG -1/2||VC-3||Codec SDK|
|H.264/AVC||H.265/HEVC||Dolby Digital Consumer|
|JPEG2000||Motion JPEG||Dolby Digital Pro SDK|
|MPEG-4 Part2/H.263||Converter & Scaler||Dolby Digital Plus Pro SDK|
|DivX||Network Streaming||Scalable Video Coding|
|DV/DVCPRO 25||Audio SDK||ShowCase|
|DV/DVCPRO 25/50||AAC||MCE Encoder|
Application & Plug-In products
|TotalCode Studio||TotalCode Studio Broadcast Pack||TotalCode Studio Audio Pack||Decoder Packs|
|H.265/HEVC||H.264/AVC (10-bit, Intra Class 50 & 100)||Dolby Digital Plus Pro||MPEG-1/2|
|H.264/AVC||XAVC-Intra||Dolby Digital Pro||H.264/AVC|
|DivX, DivX Plus||DVCPRO HD|
|Plug-Ins for Adobe||Plug-Ins for Sony|
|Plug-In for Adobe Flash Media Encoder - AAC Encoder||Plug-In for Sony XDCAM Browser & Content Browser|
|Plug-In for Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 & CS6 - TotalCode for Adobe Premiere Pro||Plug-In for Sony XDCAM SDK based Apps - XDCAM Decoder Pack|
|Plug-In for Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 & CS6 - TotalCode for Adobe Premiere Pro Broadcast Pack||Plug-In for Ziris Screen Cutter - AVC Encoder|
|Plug-In for Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 & CS6 - TotalCode for Adobe Premiere Pro Digital Cinema Pack|
|Plug-In for Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 & CS6 - TotalCode for Adobe Premiere Pro Audio Pack||Plug-Ins for IBM|
|Admira Decoder Pack|
|PSP||VCD||Panasonic P2 DVCPRO|
|iPod||DV||Panasonic P2 AVC-Intra|
|Blu-ray||XDCAM IMX||Digital TV|
- 2007, 2008 and 2009 - the Moscow State University ranked MainConcept's H.264 codec first in its annual H.264-codec comparison.
- High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC)
- "DivX buys video technologies provider MainConcept for $22 mln". Reuters. November 14, 2007.
- "Sonic Solutions to Acquire DivX". Forbes. June 2, 2010. Retrieved September 22, 2010.
- Robin Wauters (June 2, 2010). "Sonic Solutions To Acquire DivX In $323 Million Deal". Tech Crunch. Retrieved 26 June 2012.
- "Rovi To Buy Sonic Solutions For $720 Million". Forbes. December 23, 2010.
- "NeuLion Completes Acquisition of DivX". Marketwired. January 30, 2015.
- James "Dela" Delahunty (August 25, 2007). "MainConcept licenses core codec technologies to Adobe for Flash". AfterDawn. Retrieved September 22, 2010.
- Jai C.S. (April 12, 2010). "MainConcept and AMD Collaborate for GPU Acceleration". TMCnet. Retrieved September 22, 2010.
- "メインコンセプト、MainConcept Reference 2.1 for Mac/Windowsの日本国内販売を開始" (in Japanese). ProNews. September 6, 2010. Retrieved September 22, 2010.
- "HTML5- תלת מימד ותמיכה ב- IBM בתערוכת MainConcept" (in Hebrew). September 12, 2010. Retrieved September 22, 2010.
- "Rovi Releases MainConcept HEVC SDK". Rovi Corporation. 2013-06-04. Retrieved 2013-06-05.
- "HEVC/H.265". Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 2013-06-05.
- David Fox (2013-06-07). "Rovi releases MainConcept HEVC SDK". TVBEurope. Retrieved 2013-06-08.
- "Video filtering and compression by MSU Video Group". Moscow State University. Retrieved September 22, 2010.