Main Central Road
|Main Central Road|
MC road at bridge junction, Adoor
|Maintained by Kerala Public Works Department|
|Length||240.6 km (149.5 mi)|
|From||Kesavadasapuram, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala|
|To||Angamaly, Ernakulam, Kerala|
|Kilimanoor, Nilamel, Chadayamangalam, Ayoor, Kottarakkara, Adoor, Pandalam, Chengannur, Tiruvalla, Changanassery, Kottayam, Ettumanoor, Kuravilangad, Koothattukulam, Muvattupuzha, Perumbavoor|
The Main Central Road, better known as MC Road is the arterial State Highway in the Travancore region of Kerala state, India. It is designated as SH 1 by the Kerala Public Works Department. The highway was built by Raja Kesavadas, Dewan of Travancore.
This road starts from National Highway 66 at Kesavadasapuram in Thiruvananthapuram city and rejoins the NH 544 at Angamaly a suburb of Kochi city in Ernakulam district. The MC Road passes through Venjaramoodu, Kilimanoor, Nilamel, Ayoor, Kottarakkara, Adoor, Pandalam, Chengannur, Tiruvalla, Changanassery, Kottayam, Ettumanoor, Kuravilangad, Monippally, Koothattukulam, Muvattupuzha, Pezhakkappilly , Mannoor and Perumbavoor. Before NH 544 was built through Angamaly, MC road extended up to Karukutty village 6 km away from Angamaly town in the Chalakudy road. Few section of this road is upgraded to NH 220.
MC Road is a popular route to access the shrine of Sabarimala. It covers many important towns of Central and South Kerala.
KSTP road development
The MC road is being renovated under the World Bank aided 'Kerala State Transport Project (2006)'. The upgrading is being carried out in two phases.
- Phase 1
In phase 1, two stretches, Thaikkod (near Venjarammoodu) – Chengannur and Muvattupuzha – Angamaly were upgraded and works were completed in 2010. In addition, a new road link to NH 66 has been completed between Thaikkod and Vetturoad (near Kazhakootam in Trivandrum.
- Phase 2
In phase 2, the Chengannur – Ettumanoor 47 km stretch will be upgraded.The road will have a total width of 10 metres and will facilitate two-lane traffic. The road will also have a 7-metre carriageway and a sealed shoulder, having width of 1.5 metres. The project also features protection walls and adequate drainage facilities.The construction of seven bridges has also been envisaged as part of the project. This includes the proposed constructions at Neelimangalam, Manipuzha, Pannikuzhy, Arattukadavu, Illimala, Thondara and Kallissery. In addition, three existing bridges along the route will also be widened.The work which is estimated to cost around Rs. 293.58 crore was launched on September 14, 2014 and is currently under progress.
The Motor Vehicles Department, in partnership with the Kerala Road Safety Authority (KRSA) and the police has installed automatic traffic enforcement camera systems in between Venjaramoodu - Chengannur section of MC road for detecting speed violations of vehicles.
- Trivandrum (NH66(Old NH47))
- Mannanthala(Akkulam-Neyyar Dam Road)
- Vembayam - State Highway 47 connecting Attingal and Nedumangadu
- Venjarammoodu- State Highway 47 connecting Attingal and Venjaramoodu
- Kilimanoor - State Highway 46 (Kerala) connecting Attingal and Kilimanoor
- Nilamel - State Highway 62 (Kerala) Connecting Varkala & Madathara
- Ayoor (Kollam Road) &Punalur Road)
- Kottarakara NH 208 (Kollam- Thirumangalam Road crosses)
- Adoor Central Junction (Pathanamthitta road (National Highway 183A (India) )& Punalur|Kayamkulam Punalur Road)
- Adoor High School Junction (Kayamkulam Punalur Road)
- Pandalam (Mavelikkara-Pathanamthitta road)
- Mulakuzha (Mavelikara- road via Kodukulanji)
- Chengannur (Mavelikara road via Puliyoor, Kerala)
- Thiruvalla (SH-07 towards Pathanamthitta & Kumbazha)
- Thiruvalla (Ambalapuzha, Kayamkulam road)
- Changanassery (Alapuzha road)
- Changanassery (Vakathanam road)& Vazhoor Road)
- Kottayam (NH 220 towards Kumily & Teni
- Kottayam Baker Jn.(Kumarakom) & Cherthala
- Ettumanur (MG University road)
- Ettumanur (Pala & Poonjar road)
- Ettumanur (Vaikom & Ernakulam road)
- Kuravilangad (Vaikom & Alapuzha road)
- Kuravilangad (Pala road)
- Kuravilangad (Njeezhoor & Peruva & piravom road)
- Monippally (Ernakulam-Palai road, Piravom, Peruva, Vaikom, Ramapuram, Uzhavoor road)
- Koothattukulam (Palai, Piravom & Kalamassery Proposed NH Road)
- Muvattupuzha (Thodupuzha Road, Main Eastern Highway End Reach)
- Muvattupuzha (Kochi-Madurai NH 49 Intersection)
- Perumbavoor (Aluva-Munnar Road & Kolenchery Road)
- Kalady (Malayattoor Road & Aluva Deasm Road)
- Kalady (Mattoor Junction, Nedumbassery Airport, North Paravur Road)
- Angamali (NH 544)
- Punalur -Muvattupuzha road
- National Highway 183 (India)
- NH 66
- NH 544
- Roads in Kerala
- List of State Highways in Kerala