|Single by Kid Ink featuring Chris Brown|
|from the album X Files & My Own Lane|
|Released||March 11, 2014|
|Genre||Hip hop, R&B|
|Kid Ink singles chronology|
|Chris Brown singles chronology|
"Main Chick" is a song by American rapper Kid Ink from his second studio album My Own Lane (2014). On March 11, 2014, the song will serviced to rhythmic contemporary radio in the United States as the album's third single. The song features a guest appearance by Chris Brown, with production provided by DJ Mustard.
"Main Chick" was originally included on Chris Brown's X Files mixtape, and after the positive response, it was included on My Own Lane. It debuted at number 69 on the UK Singles Chart upon the album's release and has since peaked at number 60 on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart.
Background and recording
"Main Chick" was produced by DJ Mustard and was recorded by Chris Brown and Kid Ink, during the same session as their hit single "Show Me". The song was originally not going to be featured on the album, so it was included on Chris Brown's mixtape X-Files. It ended up receiving an extremely positive response from fans, making him reconsider the decision to include it on the album. Following the release of the track list for My Own Lane, it was confirmed that the song would be featured on Ink's second studio album after all. However, Kid Ink made slight adjustments to the album version of the song. The Alumni Music Group, 88 Classic and RCA Records serviced "Main Chick" to rhythmic contemporary radio in the United States on March 11, 2014, and to urban contemporary radio in the US on March 25, 2014.
"Main Chick" was met with generally positive reviews from music critics. Edwin Ortiz of HipHopDX said, the song displays "early and often Ink's penchant for tailoring melodies for the masses." Sheldon Pearce of XXL called it a certified hit in any time zone. Grant Jones of RapReviews praised the song's production and called it one of the album's best songs. David Jeffries of AllMusic called it a light, airy and attractive track. Brent Faulkner of Starpulse said, the song was good, but not elite.
Rapper Tyga, a frequent collaborator of Kid Ink, released a remix to the song on January 30, 2014. On February 10, 2014, comedian Kevin Hart requested LL Cool J's "I Need Love" on DJ Whoo Kid's radio show. Whoo Kidd then dared LL Cool J to send him a verse ASAP if he could. Thirty to forty minutes later, LL Cool J sent him the verse over Kid Ink's "Main Chick".
|Australian Urban Singles Chart (ARIA)||11|
|Belgium (Ultratip Flanders)||28|
|Belgium (Ultratip Wallonia)||18|
|Belgium Urban (Ultratop Flanders)||25|
|Germany (Official German Charts)||99|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||69|
|UK R&B (Official Charts Company)||13|
|US Billboard Hot 100||60|
|US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs (Billboard)||16|
|US Rhythmic (Billboard)||3|
|United States (RIAA)||Platinum||1,000,000*|
*sales figures based on certification alone
|United States||March 11, 2014||Rhythmic contemporary radio||
|March 25, 2014||Mainstream urban radio|||
|Urban contemporary radio|||
|United Kingdom||June 9, 2014||Urban contemporary radio|||
- "Kid Ink Speaks On New Album "MY OWN LANE"". YouTube. 2014-01-08. Retrieved 2014-01-16.
- "Chris Brown "X Files" EP". Complex. 2013-11-19. Retrieved 2014-01-16.
- "Kid Ink Almost Included Pharrell On His Album - Page 2 of 3 - XXL". Xxlmag.com. 2013-01-09. Retrieved 2014-01-16.
- "Kid Ink Reveals 'My Own Lane' Album Tracklist". Theboombox.com. 2013-12-13. Retrieved 2014-01-16.
- Emmanuel C.M. (2014-01-14). "Kid Ink Says He Smokes An Ounce A Day - XXL". Xxlmag.com. Retrieved 2014-02-12.
- "Rhythmic Future Releases". All Access Music Group. Archived from the original on 2014-03-11.
- "Urban/UAC Future Releases". All Access Music Group. Archived from the original on 2014-03-21.
- Ortiz, Edwin. "Kid Ink - My Own Lane | Read Hip Hop Reviews, Rap Reviews & Hip Hop Album Reviews". HipHop DX. Retrieved 2014-01-16.
- "Kid Ink Is Unpredictable And Entertaining On 'My Own Lane' - XXL". Xxlmag.com. 2014-01-07. Retrieved 2014-01-16.
- "Kid Ink :: My Own Lane :: RCA Records". Rapreviews.com. 2014-01-21. Retrieved 2014-02-12.
- "Review: Kid Ink, My Own Lane". Starpulse.com. Retrieved 2014-01-16.
- "Kid Ink f/ Tyga & Chris Brown "Main Chick"". Complex. 2014-01-30. Retrieved 2014-02-12.
- "Kid Ink LL Cool J Chris Brown Tyga "Main Chick" Remix". Complex. Retrieved 2014-02-12.
- "Ultratop.be – Kid Ink feat. Chris Brown – Main Chick" (in Dutch). Ultratip. Retrieved May 2, 2014.
- "Ultratop.be – Kid Ink feat. Chris Brown – Main Chick" (in French). Ultratip. Retrieved May 2, 2014.
- "Ultratop.be – Kid Ink feat. Chris Brown – Main Chick" (in Dutch). Ultratop Urban. Retrieved May 2, 2014.
- "Lescharts.com – Kid Ink feat. Chris Brown – Main Chick" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Offiziellecharts.de – Kid Ink feat. Chris Brown – Main Chick". GfK Entertainment Charts.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company.
- "Official R&B Singles Chart Top 40". Official Charts Company.
- "Kid Ink Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved May 15, 2014.
- "Kid Ink Chart History (Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved May 15, 2014.
- "Kid Ink Chart History (Rhythmic)". Billboard. Retrieved April 17, 2014.
- "American single certifications – Kid Ink – Main Chick". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH.
- "Radio 1Xtra Playlist". BBC. 9 June 2014. Archived from the original on 9 June 2014. Retrieved 9 June 2014.