Main Street Cinema
This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Main Street Cinema|
Main Street Cinema with Halloween decor at Disneyland
|Area||Main Street, U.S.A.|
|Opening date||July 17, 1955 (Sunday)|
|Attraction type||Movie theater|
|Theme||Turn of the century|
The theater plays Disney shorts on six different screens while a recorded musical accompaniment plays. Five of the six shorts are played without sound; these shorts are changed from time to time. The sixth short is always Mickey Mouse's 1928 cartoon classic Steamboat Willie, which is played with its original sound, albeit in an edited version to remove objectionable content; it includes an introduction prepared for a 1950s reissue reminding the viewer when the short was created, and that it is still screening today worldwide. In 2010, for the 55th anniversary of the park, footage of Disneyland's opening day was shown.
In June 2019, displays selling Disney resort-brand merchandise were added inside the cinema. They were removed a week later, and benches were added to give a better view of the featured films.
- Houser, Gray (June 14, 2019). "Disneyland's Main Street Cinema Has Been Turned Into a Gift Shop".
- Corless, Tom (June 14, 2019). "PHOTOS: The Main Street Cinema at Disneyland Park Has Been Turned..." WDW News Today.
- "Disneyland stops selling merchandise at Main Street Cinema, adds park benches to the 1955 attraction". June 20, 2019.
- Media related to Main Street Cinema at Wikimedia Commons
- Disneyland Resort attraction page for Main Street Cinema