From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Main page)
From today's featured article
(February 22, 1819 – August 12, 1891) was an American James Russell Lowell Romantic poet, critic, editor, and diplomat. He was the first editor of and was one of the The Atlantic Monthly Fireside Poets, a group of New England writers who wrote poetry suitable for families entertaining at their firesides, with conventional forms and meters. His first collection of poetry was published in 1841. He was involved in the movement to abolish slavery, using poetry to express his anti- slavery views. In 1848 he gained notoriety with the publication of , a book-length poem A Fable for Critics satirizing contemporary critics and poets. The same year, he published The Biglow Papers, in which he tried to emulate the true Yankee accent in the dialogue of his characters. This depiction of the dialect and his satires were an inspiration to writers like Mark Twain and H. L. Mencken. Lowell went on to publish several other poetry and essay collections, and in later years was ambassador to the Kingdom of Spain and the Court of St James's. ( ) Full article...
Did you know...
The Capture of the Hessians at Trenton
In the news
On this day...
Today's featured picture
Lufthansa Airbus A320-211 taking off at Stuttgart Airport, Germany. The , consisting of the Airbus A320 family A318, A319, A320, and A321, pioneered the use of digital fly-by-wire flight control systems and side-stick controls in commercial aircraft. Since the 1980s, a total of 7,442 Airbus A320-family aircraft have been delivered, of which 7,122 are in service. The largest A320 fleet is that of American Airlines, with 380 aircraft.
Photograph: Julian Herzog
Other areas of Wikipedia
– Bulletin board, projects, resources and activities covering a wide range of Wikipedia areas. Community portal
– Ask questions about using Wikipedia. Help desk
– For Wikipedia-related communication in languages other than English. Local embassy
– Serving as virtual librarians, Wikipedia volunteers tackle your questions on a wide range of subjects. Reference desk
– Announcements, updates, articles and press releases on Wikipedia and the Wikimedia Foundation. Site news
– For discussions about Wikipedia itself, including areas for technical issues and policies. Village pump
Wikipedia's sister projects
Wikipedia is hosted by the
Wikimedia Foundation, a non-profit organization that also hosts a range of other projects:
This Wikipedia is written in
English. Started in 2001 , it currently contains 5,341,189 articles. Many other Wikipedias are available; some of the largest are listed below.
More than 1,000,000 articles:
More than 250,000 articles:
More than 50,000 articles: