|Nickname(s): The Gateway of Dooars|
|Elevation||84 m (276 ft)|
|• Official||Bengali, English|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Jalpaiguri|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Maynaguri|
Mainaguri is a town in Jalpaiguri district in West Bengal. It is known as the "Gate way of Dooars" and is a regionally significant tourist destination for Jalpesh Temple of Lord Shiva & nearby Gorumara Wildlife Sanctuary.
Mainaguri is located at  It has an average elevation of 84 metres (275 feet)..
Mainaguri is about 10 km north-east of Jalpaiguri and 50 km from Siliguri. Local attractions include Jalpesh Temple, Gorumara National Park and Chapramari Wildlife Sanctuary. The nearest airport is Civil Enclave Bagdogra, and the nearest railway station is New Mainaguri.
Five roads connect Mainaguri with
- Siliguri, Jalpaiguri (West)
- Alipurduar, Cooch Behar (East)
- Changrabandha, Mathabhanga (South)
- Malbazar, Lataguri (North)
- Ramsai (North-west).
As of 2001[update] India census, Mainaguri had a population of 27,086. Males constitute 51% of the population and females 49%. Mainaguri has an average literacy rate of 75%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 80%, and female literacy is 70%. In Mainaguri, 11% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Mainaguri provides a quality education to its surrounding students. Students of this area repeatedly do well in board exams. This town provides higher education on general studies.
- Mainaguri College is affiliated by North Bengal University.
- Mainaguri Government Polytechnic College.
- Maiynaguri ITI College.
- B-ed College.
- Mainaguri High School (established in 1946).
- Mainaguri Girls' High School (established in 1947).
- Subhashnagar High School.
- Sahidgarh High School.
- Khagrabari Girls' High School.
- Polwhele High School Domohani (established in 1927).
- Evergreen Public School.
- St. Paul School.
- Morning Star K.G. School(Pvt).
- Sishu Angan School(Pvt).
- Vidyasagar Sishu Niketan(Pvt.)
- S.P.M. Siksha Niketan(Pvt.)
Radhika Library, has been operating here since 1910. Radhikanath Nandi who was the Deputy Collector of the Khasmahal office at Mainaguri, helped to begin the library. At the beginning, 1 anna was decided as the monthly fees of the library. It used to be a rural library. It was upgraded as town library on 1 March 1983. It has more than 14,000 books and around 600 members.
The main mode of transport in the area is roadways. Most of the places are well connected by roads and to rest of India. NH 31 is the main highway of the area. Regular bus services provided by North Bengal State Transport Corporation and Assam State Transport Corporation and other private parties run between all important places of the area. Share jeeps and maxi-taxies are quite popular in the area.
Mainaguri lies in the Northeast Frontier Railway zone of the Indian Railways. There are railway links to the rest of the country directly and via Kolkata. The major railway junction of New Jalpaiguri (Code:NJP) is 45 km from the town. New Mainaguri railway station(NMX) serves the town directly. Another rail station of this city is Mainaguri Road(MYGD). It is about 5 km from the city. Maynaguri Road station is an important station of Malbazar-Changrabandha reviously it was known as Doars railway. Mainaguri Road station is also 'Y' connected with New Maynaguri and New Domohoni rail station.
The Jalpesh Temple is approximately 3 kilometres from away Mainaguri , and is dedicated to Lord Jalpeshwar (Siva). The temple was built in a style akin to Islamic architecture. Inside the temple, there is a Shivling called 'Anadi'. Mahashivaratri is the main festival celebrated in this temple, which is 126 feet high and 120 feet wide. Pilgrims come during Sravani Mela in July–August and during the fair of Jalpesh Mela in February–March to offer special puja to Siva. After worshipping, devotees, whose number reach approximately 1.2 million, collect water from River Teesta and walk barefoot 15 kilometres to the temple.
Other places of interest
1. Jatileswar Temple(dedicated to Lord Jatileshwara or Lord Shiva);
2. Bateshwar Temple;
3. Mahakal Temple;
4. Ramsai Wildlife(Gorumara National Park);
5. Khuksiya Park(Beautiful park with a pool having boating facility & Light and sound show with fountain during week-end nights);
Various festivals are celebrated throughout the year. Kali Puja of Mainaguri is renowned. It also celebrates ID and Christmas Day with similar pompousness.
Sports & Entertainment
Mainaguri has a famous playground (Known as Mainaguri Football Ground) where several football tournaments are held every year.
Other than that several fairs (Baishakhi mela, Mela during durgapuja etc.), Book Fair, one yearly cultural function organised by local clubs is also held. This ground is an inseparable part of the people of Maiynaguri.
Food & Drink
Here are a few restaurants are available which are not very renowned. But still among them these are quite good options.
- Hotel Ashiyana [Nice AC cottages & fantastic ambience with quality food]
- SO-HO, A/C FAMILY RESTAURANT AND BAR [Standard quality food]
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Mainaguri
- www.india9.com profile of Mainaguri
- "Mainaguri Pincode". citypincode.in. Retrieved 2014-05-19.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- www.india9.com on Jalpesh Shiva Temple
- North-Bangel.com: Jalpaiguri
- Cooch Behar Government: Royal History : Book of Facts and Events