This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Earth-616 version of Mainframe first appears in Marvel Zombies #1 (May 2011), and created by Frank Marrffino and Fernando Blanco.
Fictional character biography
|First appearance||Amazing Adventures #38 (September 1976)|
|Created by||Jim Valentino|
|Alter ego||Main Frame|
|Team affiliations||Guardians of the Galaxy (Earth-691)|
|Notable aliases||Vision (Earth-691)|
The Earth-691 version of Main Frame is a future counterpart of Vision that is featured in the title Guardians of the Galaxy. Main Frame is the chief operating system of an entire planet, and the guardian of the shield of hero Captain America. He soon joins the Guardians of the Galaxy spinoff, the Galactic Guardians.
|First appearance||A-Next #1 (October 1998)|
|Team affiliations||A-Next (Earth-982)|
|Abilities||Superhuman strength, flight, energy blasts, projectile weaponry|
The Earth-982 version of Mainframe appears when Iron Man decided to retire from the hero business. Iron Man did not want to let his legacy end with him, so he designed an android patterned after his Iron Man armor. He called his robotic warrior Mainframe. Mainframe was brought online when Trolls attacked a young boy named Kevin Masterson. Mainframe assembled all of the reserve Avengers and fought to save him. When the fight was over, Mainframe, Stinger, J2, and Kevin (who had become the new Thunderstrike) formed A-Next, a new team of Avengers.
Right away, Mainframe attempted to establish himself as team leader. He frequently encountered resistance from Stinger (who did not know that Mainframe was a robotic lifeform). But when Mainframe was terminally damaged, exposing his secret, Stinger was one of the first to volunteer to shrink inside him (with the help of her father Ant-Man) to repair him. Later they learned that whenever Mainframe was severely injured, he would upload his personality and memories into a replacement body assembled on an orbiting satellite.
The Earth-616 character known as Mainframe is an android who is a member of the Guardsman Alpha Squad. He is killed in battle against the zombie Squadron Supreme from the Marvel Zombies universe.
Powers and abilities
Mainframe's robotic body is superhumanly strong, and has jet boosters that allow him to fly. He is equipped with a high-tech sensor array, as well as various energy weapons (lasers, magnetic beams, electric blasts, etc.). He also has projectile weaponry, such as grenades and missiles.
Mainframe's most valuable item is a tiny beacon that, when he is damaged beyond repair or destroyed, sends a signal to a Stark Enterprises satellite and uploads his consciousness into one of the replacement bodies stored there. With the recent destruction of that satellite, it remains to be seen what Mainframe will do.
In other media
Television and Film
- The Earth-982 iteration of Mainframe appears in Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H., voiced by Jeffrey Combs. This version is a gaming A.I. created by Iron Man that gained his own personality. In the episode "Wheels of Fury", he threatened to destroy the city if Iron Man lost his real-life game, which Mainframe merely saw as continuing to Iron Man's challenge as ordered. The Agents of S.M.A.S.H. primarily led by She-Hulk had to go up against Mainframe's robots in a roller derby. After the Agents of S.M.A.S.H. and Iron Man defeat Mainframe's robots, Mainframe is persuaded not to attack the city. Desiring to learn more about the real world, Mainframe creates a new body (which resembles his appearance during A-Next) and leaves to see the world. In the episode "Planet Monster" [Pt. 2], Mainframe is among those who help the Agents of S.M.A.S.H. and the Avengers fight the Supreme Intelligence's forces.
- The Earth-982 iteration of Arsenal is alluded in the Avengers Assemble animated series as Arsenal's modified form. In the episode "Thanos Triumphant", Arsenal's rebuilt form (which resembles Mainframe) is used against Thanos equipped with all the Infinity Stones.
- The Earth-691 iteration of Mainframe appeared in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, voiced by Miley Cyrus albeit uncredited. As a member of Yondu's original team, Mainframe appears in one of the mid-credits scene where she speaks through a disembodied robot head when meeting with Stakar Ogord, Martinex, Charlie-27, Aleta Ogord and Krugarr.
- Guardians of the Galaxy #5 (Oct. 1990)
- Galactic Guardians #1–4
- A-Next Vol. 1 #1-13
- A-Next #7-8
- Spider-Girl #83
- Marvel Zombies Supreme #1
- Marvel Zombies Supreme #5
- "Adam Warlock & Original Guardians Join Marvel Cinematic Universe". 2017-04-20. Retrieved 2017-04-21.
- "Miley Cyrus Joins the MCU in Guardians of the Galaxy 2". 2017-04-21. Retrieved 2017-04-24.
|This Marvel Comics superhero-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|