From today's featured article
The fall of the Prussian camp at Hochkirch
The Battle of Hochkirch took place on 14 October 1758 during the Third Silesian War, part of the Seven Years' War. After several weeks of maneuvering for position, an Austrian army commanded by Lieutenant Field Marshal Leopold Joseph von Daun surprised the Prussian army commanded by Frederick the Great. The Austrians overwhelmed the Prussians and forced a general retreat from the village of Hochkirch, 9 kilometers (6 mi) east of Bautzen, Saxony. Most historians consider the battle one of Frederick's greatest blunders. Contrary to the advice of his subordinates, he refused to believe that the cautious Daun would engage him in battle. After a pre-dawn attack, Frederick lost over 30 percent of his army, 5 generals, 70 munitions wagons, and his artillery park. Daun failed to pursue the retreating Prussians, allowing the entire force to escape and regain the momentum over the winter. (Full article...)
Did you know...
Porcelain basket of fruit
- ... that in the mid-18th century, small "Toys" inscribed with "amorous suggestions" (example pictured) were made in Chelsea?
- ... that Matt Mobley set an Atlantic 10 basketball tournament record with nine 3-pointers in a victory over Richmond?
- ... that the contents of the Biblioteca della Comunità Israelitica in Rome, with volumes dating back to the 16th century, were looted by Nazi Germany 75 years ago today, and never recovered?
- ... that Max Jessner travelled to Buriat-Mongolia as part of the Soviet-German Syphilis Expedition?
- ... that Bontecou Lake, near Millbrook, New York, is divided between two drainage basins, making it a bifurcation lake?
- ... that in 1903, the 25-year-old daughter of an illiterate Irish immigrant became the first woman to stand for the Australian House of Representatives?
- ... that the hymn "Mein ganzes Herz erhebet dich", a paraphrase of Psalm 138 based on the Protestant Genevan Psalter, is also sung by German-speaking Catholics?
- ... that businessman Jose Yao Campos admitted in 1986 to having organized 40 different shell companies through which Philippine dictator Ferdinand Marcos could hide his wealth?
In the news
Soyuz MS-10 launch
On this day