Maison de la danse
|Maison de la danse|
|Théâtre du 8è|
|Location||8th arrondissement of Lyon, Lyon, France|
|Address||8, Avenue Jean Mermoz|
|Design and construction|
The Maison de la danse is a theater located in the 8th arrondissement of Lyon. It was originally founded in 1980 within the Théâtre de la Croix-Rousse before moving in 1992 in what was called the Théâtre du 8ème. This very important place for dance in the Rhône-Alpes region makes programming of international companies and of young companies of Rhône-Alpes. The building also hosts resident company in a creative studio and has a basic reference document on dance with a library composed of over 1,000 shows filmed.
In 1977, five choreographers of Lyon became partners and created the idea of a place exclusively dedicated to dance. The project succeeded on 17 June 1980 with the inauguration of the first building devoted to dance in France and Europe, in the premises of a former ballroom of La Croix-Rousse which later became the Théâtre de la Croix-Rousse. This place was provided by the City of Lyon and its Deputy Minister of Culture Joannes Ambre. The direction was given to Guy Darmet. The success was important and unexpected. In September 1992, the Maison de la danse moved into the 8th arrondissement.
In 20 years, the Maison de la Danse has welcomed more than 500 French and foreign companies, more than 100 works of young French choreographers, 59,000 subscribers and over 1,500,000 spectators.
Restored from May to October 1999, the room has 1,100 seats and also a studio with a capacity of 96 seats, named studio Jorge Donn, inaugurated in 2005.
- "Maison de la danse" (in French). Rhône-Alpes Culture.gouv. Retrieved 27 January 2010.
- "La Maison de la Danse". Appart'ambiance. Retrieved 27 January 2010.
- Filloux-Vigreux, Marianne (2001). La danse et l'institution: Genèse et premiers pas d'une politique de la danse en France (1970-1990) (in French). L'Harmattan. p. 98. ISBN 2-7475-1514-1.
- Collomb, Francisque; Butin, Jean (1988). Francisque Collomb: une écharpe de maire (in French). Horvath. p. 84. ISBN 2-7171-0603-0.
- "La Maison de la Danse souffle ses 30 bougies". Le Progrès (in French). 14 June 2009. Retrieved 27 January 2010.
- "Lyon, puzzle. 6 : Pockemon Crew". Le Monde (in French). Choses vues. 14 September 2006. Retrieved 27 January 2010.
- Mairie de Lyon (2004). Zoom rive gauche — Lire la ville en creux et en relief — Lieux, sites et acteurs du patrimoine (in French). Mission site historique de la ville de Lyon. p. 175.
- "Maison de la danse" (in French). Mairie du 8ème. Retrieved 27 January 2010.
- "Maison de la Danse — Institution. Un lieu unique en Europe" (in French). Millénaire 3, le Centre Ressources Prospectives du Grand Lyon. Retrieved 27 January 2010.