In the 1960s and 1970s, the Maithil Brahmins became politically significant in Bihar. Binodanand Jha, Lalit Narayan Mishra, and Jagannath Mishra emerged as prominent political leaders of the community. Under the Chief Ministry of Jagannath Mishra, many Maithil Brahmins assumed important political positions in Bihar. Parmanand Jha is a Nepalese politician who served as the Vice President of Nepal from 23 July 2008 to 31 October 2015. Durgananda Jha was Nepalese democratic fighter.
- James G. Lochtefeld (2002). The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Hinduism: N-Z. Rosen. pp. 490–491. ISBN 9780823931804.
- D. Shyam Babu and Ravindra S. Khare, ed. (2011). Caste in Life: Experiencing Inequalities. Pearson Education India. p. 168. ISBN 9788131754399.
- Verma, Ravindra Kumar (May 1991). "Caste and Bihar Politics". Economic and Political Weekly (Sameeksha Trust) 26 (18): 1142–4. Retrieved 28 March 2013.
- Makhan Jha (1 January 1997). Anthropology of Ancient Hindu Kingdoms: A Study in Civilizational Perspective. M.D. Publications Pvt. Ltd. pp. 38–. ISBN 978-81-7533-034-4.
- List of Maithil Brahmin
- Panjis, the genealogical records maintained among Maithil Brahmins
- Brahmin gotra system