Maitland Art Center
Art & History Museums - Maitland
|Architect||Jules Andre Smith|
|Architectural style||Mayan Revival|
|NRHP Reference #||82001036
|Added to NRHP||November 17, 1982|
|Designated NHL||August 25, 2014|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Maitland Art Center.|
The Maitland Art Center (formerly known as The Research Studio) is a historic site in Maitland, Florida. It was founded and designed by architect and artist J. Andre Smith (1880-1959) in 1937 as an artist colony, dedicated to experimental art. Funded by philanthropist Mary Curtis Bok, the colony hosted artists such as Ralston Crawford, Milton Avery, and Consuelo Kanaga. It is located at 231 West Packwood Avenue. On November 17, 1982, it was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places.
The Maitland Art Center is one of the five museums encompassed by the Art & History Museums - Maitland (A&H). The A&H's Maitland Art Center offers artist residency programs, a variety of art classes for adults and children, professional development for artists, and dynamic programming for art appreciation. The A&H is a non-profit organization funded by earned income and contributions by the City of Maitland, the State of Florida, United Arts of Central Florida, grants, and individual donations.
The A&H's Maitland Art Center is one of the few examples of Mayan Revival architecture, also known as Fantasy Architecture in the southeast. The grounds are a common location for outdoor weddings. The art center offers three areas for weddings: the Main Garden, the Chapel, and the Mayan Courtyard.
- List of National Historic Landmarks in Florida
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Orange County, Florida
- National Park Service (2010-07-09). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- Weekly List Of Actions Taken On Properties: 9/22/14 through 9/26/14
- Stapleton, Kevin (January 14, 2015). "Episode 36 Art Colony Bell". A History of Central Florida Podcast. Retrieved February 7, 2016.
- Official website
- Florida's Office of Cultural and Historical Programs
- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) No. FL-364, "Maitland Art Center, 231 West Packwood Avenue, Maitland, Orange County, FL", 26 measured drawings
- Art Colony Bell at A History of Central Florida Podcast