|Story by||Benny P Nayarambalam|
|Based on||Thommanum Makkalum (Malayalam)|
|Produced by||Rockline Venkatesh|
|Edited by||V. T. Vijayan|
|Distributed by||Aascar Films International|
Majaa is a 2005 Indian Tamil-language masala film directed by Shafi, starring Vikram, Asin, Vadivelu, Pasupathy, Anu Prabhakar, Vijayakumar, Manivannan, Murali and Biju Menon. The music is composed by Vidyasagar. It tells the story of two adopted children changing from their old, mischievous ways of life. The film is a remake of Shafi's own Malayalam film Thommanum Makkalum.
Govindan (Manivannan) is a thief who has two children: Aadhi (Pasupathy) and Arivumathi (Vikram). Years go by and the brothers decide to stop stealing, mend their ways, and lead a hardworking life with their father. They migrate to a neighboring village and meet a retired agricultural officer Chidambaram (Vijayakumar), who is in deep debt and is under pressure from the village's landlord Kalingarayar (Murali) to clear his debts. In efforts to help Chidambaram, Mathi confronts Seetha Lakshmi (Asin), Kalingarayar's daughter, who comes to collect the money Chidambaram owes her father. Seetha Lakshmi starts to acquire a liking for Mathi, but keeps it hidden due to her father's atrocious temper. In an attempt to teach Kalingarayar a lesson, Mathi forcibly ties the mangalsutram around Seetha's neck. Kalingarayar, realizing his daughter's love for Mathi, comes down to arrange a grand remarriage between the two. But things go awry when Manicka Vel (Biju Menon), Seetha Lakshmi's maternal uncle, comes to town in an effort to stop the wedding between the two as he has plans of marrying her and wiping her family fortune.
- Vikram as Arivumathi
- Pasupathy as Aadi
- Asin as Seetha Lakshmi
- Vadivelu as Pulipaandi
- Manivannan as Govindan
- Anu Prabhakar as Selvi
- Biju Menon as Manicka Vel
- Vijayakumar as Chidambaram
- Murali as Kalingarayar
- Nithin Sathya as Chidambaram's son
- T. P. Gajendran as Doctor
- Sindu Tolani (special appearance)
Vikram watched the Mammootty starrer Thommanum Makkalum, and requested director Shafi to remake it with him, in Tamil. The film was launched at AVM Studios in 2005, a huge set of village was erected at studios. The film was launched at AVM Studios in 2005, a huge set of village was erected at studios. Initially, Trisha and Jyothika was considered for the lead female role, due to their unavailability Asin was chosen for the role. The crew went to Australia to shoot a song. Vikram worked as an assistant director under Shafi for this film.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||6 October 2005|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
An Ak Audio
|"Aiyyarettu"||Shankar Mahadevan, Anuradha Sriram||P. Vijay|
|"Chi Chi Chi"||Harini, Shankar Mahadevan, Savitha Reddy, Viji||Yugabharathi|
|"Hey Pangaali"||Udit Narayan, Tippu, Manikka Vinayagam||P. Vijay|
|"Podhumadaa Saami"||Kailash Kher|
|"Sollitharavaa"||Madhu Balakrishnan, Sadhana Sargam||Kabilan|
Sify wrote:"The major flaw of Majaa is its wafer-thin story and screenplay, a mediocre subject to be remade from Malayalam, sic the film gives you a dreary sense of déjà vu, a feeling that one has seen it before.
- "Boom year for mollywood". The Hindu. 30 December 2005. Archived from the original on 6 December 2016.
- "Malayalam Cinema News | Malayalam Movie Reviews | Malayalam Movie Trailers - IndiaGlitz Malayalam". Archived from the original on 1 February 2015. Retrieved 31 July 2011.
- "interview - Archived copy". Archived from the original on 1 February 2015. Retrieved 31 July 2011.
- http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/article/15262.html. Missing or empty
- "Majaa Movie on Raj TV". In.com. 1 October 2015. Archived from the original on 22 December 2015. Retrieved 17 December 2015.
- "Majaa Review". Sify. Archived from the original on 28 June 2013.
- "www.sify.com/movies/boxoffice.php?id=13980025&cid=13525926". Archived from the original on 24 January 2014.
- "www.sify.com/movies/boxoffice.php?id=14012644&cid=13525926". Archived from the original on 10 September 2017.