Majid Al Futtaim Group
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Founded||11 May 1992|
|Founder||Majid Al Futtaim Owner|
|Headquarters||Dubai, United Arab Emirates|
Number of locations
|13 countries (2015)|
|Middle East, Africa and Central Asia|
|Revenue||AED 25 billion (2014)|
|AED 3.6 billion (2014)|
|Total assets||AED 45 billion (2014)|
Number of employees
Majid Al Futtaim (Arabic: ماجد الفطيم) is an Emirati holding company based in Dubai, that as of 2015 owned and operated shopping malls, retail, and leisure establishments in the Middle East and North Africa, with operations in 13 countries . The group was established by Majid Al Futtaim in 1992. Majid Al Futtaim manages three major operating subsidiaries: Majid Al Futtaim Properties, Majid Al Futtaim Retail, and Majid Al Futtaim Ventures. As of 2015 the holding company worked in 13 countries: UAE, Lebanon, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Bahrain, Kuwait, Qatar, Jordan, Pakistan, Iraq, Armenia, and Georgia.
In 2016, the group has $10.6 billion in revenues and $760 million in profits.
Majid Al Futtaim Properties
Majid Al Futtaim Properties develops, owns and manages shopping malls and hotels throughout the MENA region. The hotels business unit focuses on the development and asset management of hotels connected to or close to the company's shopping malls and within its master-planned communities. It owned and operated twelve hotels as of 2015. In 2017, Majid Al Futtaim Properties reported a profit of 2.19 billion dirhams ($596.25 million), down 7% on 2016.
- Mall of the Emirates : located in Al Barsha on Sheikh Zayed Road in Dubai. Since its opening in 2005, the mall has become a main attraction in Dubai, welcome more than 42 million visitors annually,. Mall includes more than 630 international stores.
- Mall of Egypt : Opened in March 2017 and based Sixth of October city.The group is planning another shopping mall in Cairo.
- Mall of Saudi : in Riyadh, set to be completed by 2022.
- City Centre Bahrain: Opened in 2008 in Manama (Bahrain).
- Mirdif City Centre: Opened in 2010, in Dubaï.
- City Centre Muscat: opened in 2001 in Muscat (Oman). Located on Sultan Qaboos Road (3 km from Muscat International Airport), Seeb, Muscat Governorate, Sultanate of Oman. City Centre Muscat underwent an expansion in 2007 that doubled the size of the mall adding more than 60 new stores and increasing its retail space to 60,484 square meters. In June 2013, the mall announced a second redevelopment to add 48,500 square feet of retail space dedicated to entertainment and leisure.
- Sohar City Centre: Scheduled to open in January 2019 in Muscat (Oman) on Al Batinah main road. Opening : January 2019. The mall is worth $117 million and contains 120 stores, a nine-screen VOX Cinemas, a 7,348 sqm Carrefour and other entertainment facilities. This project is part of the group's plans to reach $1.83 billion in investment by 2020 in Oman. Majid Al Futtaim has previously opened other shopping centers in Oman such as City Centre Muscat and My City Centre Sur.
MAF aims at creating fully integrated communities which integrate Majid Al Futtaim’s residential, commercial, retail, leisure and entertainment facilities.
- Al Mouj Muscat: residential properties with green spaces, pedestrian walkways and inland waterways, retail and dining facilities, a 400-berth marina, and a golf course.
- Al Zahia: Mall scheduled for completion in 2020, final completion scheduled in 2023.
- Waterfront City Business Park in Beirut, Lebanon. Scheduled for final completion in 2027.
- Tilal Al Ghaf: Scheduled for completion in 2027.
Majid Al Futtaim Retail
The firm establishes and manages (hypermarkets and supermarkets, fashion and specialty retail stores.
Hypermarkets and supermarkets
They partnered with the french Franchise Carrefour in 1995  In June 2017, MAF announced it bought 26 Géant hypermarkets in the UAE, Bahrain and Kuwait. MAF acquired the Géant franchise from BMA International. In February 2018, Egyptians Ministry of Investment and International Cooperation and the National Service Project of the Armed Forces signed a cooperation protocol with Majid Al-Futtaim in the aim to establish 100 Carrefour retail stores in different governorates of Egypt. In December 2018, Majid Al Futtaim announced their plans to rebrand of Hyperstar to Carrefour across Pakistan. A new Carrefour is expected to open in the Mall of Defence in Lahore in early 2019.
The company introduced the world's first sail-through supermarket "Bites and More by the Shore", in December 2018. The supermarket operates off the coast of Dubai in order to cater to customers on yachts, boats and jet skis. In January 2019, Majid Al Futtaim Retail signs a contract with Nshama, a UAE-based developer of master-planned communities, to open a new 8,000 sq ft Carrefour Hypermarket in Town Square Dubai.
In January 2019, speaking at the annual World Economic Forum in Davos, Alain Bejjani (CEO) announced the group’s intention to introduce a Saudi-only workforce in the Carrefour supermarkets across the country. The same year, MAF launched its Retail Business School, which focuses on programmes for employees running its Carrefour operations. Majid al Futtaim currently operates 90 hypermarkets and 120 supermarkets in 15 different countries.
In the first half of 2018, Majid Al Futtaim Retail launched its largest regional distribution center in Dubai’s National Industries Park. At an investment of over US$80m, the facility can handle up to 100,000 orders per day.
The company has invested heavily in data analysis and digital capabilities as well as relevant companies and start-ups that serve multiples channels. In December 2017, it launched a School of Analytics and Technology, along with A², its Advanced Analytics Centre of Excellence. The same year,itcompany signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Smart Dubai to help improve the emirate’s data analytics capabilities.
- With I.AM+: In 2019, MAF became the first retail conglomerate announced as a member of the A.R.C (a coalition of retailers, brands and service providers)/ to provide physical and virtual experiences for multi channel offerings.
- Kenya : In 2018 the group signed a partnership with online retailer Jumia.
- In 2018, the group invested in Wadi, the online delivery portal that operates Wadi Grocery in Saudi Arabia. This is part of a $30 million funding round that will help set up the delivery structure for all Carrefour stores within Saudi-Arabia.
Majid Al Futtaim Ventures
Majid Al Futtaim Ventures is a group of companies that offer amenities such as cinemas, leisure and entertainment, financial services, fashion and healthcare and JVs in facility management and food and beverages. Majid Al Futtaim Ventures is a unit of Majid Al Futtaim (MAF) Group.
Leisure & Entertainment
Majid Al Futtaim Leisure and Entertainment operates Ski Dubai, an indoor ski resort with 22,500 square meters of indoor ski area at the Mall of the Emirates, as well as 18 Magic Planet family entertainment centres. In addition, Magic Planet operates a facility within City Centre Mirdif, a temperature controlled indoor and outdoor water park, and the first Lego store in the Middle East in Abu Dhabi.
- Ski Dubai: A mountain-themed snow setting at Mall of the Emirates in Dubai.
- Ski Egypt: Introduced in March 2017, it is Africa's first indoor ski slope, situated at Mall of Egypt, in Cairo.
- Orbi Dubai: Initially introduced in Yokohama, Japan in 2013 as an experimental visitor attraction, Orbi is an indoor nature experience, fusings BBC Earth’s nature content with SEGA’s technology.t . The first Middle East installation is planned for City Centre Mirdif in the UAE.
- Wahoo! Waterpark: Located at City Centre Bahrain with an area of 15,000 square meters, it is the Middle East’s first indoor-outdoor waterpark, including Flowrider, the world’s first full size surfing machine at an indoor park.
- iFly Dubai: Indoor skydiving in Dubai. Located at City Centre Mirdif, it allows guests to enjoy the experience of human body flight.
- Little Explorers: Located at City Centre Mirdif, provides education and entertainment for children aged two to seven.
- Magic Planet: providesrange of simulator, online and arcade games and rides. First opened at City Centre Deira in 1995, Magic Planet has since grown to 32 locations in the Middle East and Africa.
Family and Retail Entertainment
- LEGO stores: In 2015, the group opened the first LEGO-certified store in the MENA region in Yas Mall, Abu Dhabi. In 2016, a LEGO store opened at Mall 360 and The Avenues Mall in Kuwait, the second in the country.
- American Girl: In 2017, the group signed an agreement with American Girl, a division of Mattel, and a premium brand for dolls, giving the group exclusive distribution rights in the UAE, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Qatar, Bahrain and Oman. The first American Girl store in the UAE opened in November 2017 at City Centre Mirdif,
The firm has 318 cinema screens in various Middle Eastern countries. Its cinemas in the Mall of the Emirates are considered as the flagship venture with 24 screens – including an IMAX with Laser, VOX 4DX auditorium, a luxury cinema experience called “ThEATre by Rhodes” (collaboration with Michelin Star Chef Gary Rhodes OBE) and VOX Kids. The 100,000sq ft venue became the largest complex in the Middle East after its re-launch in September 28, 2015.
In May 2018, VOX Cinemas opened the first four-screen multiplex in Saudi Arabia, at the company’s new entertainment complex in Riyadh Park, two weeks after the first public cinema screening in Saudi Arabia for 35 years.
At the end of 2019, VOX Cinemas, part of the Majid Al Futtaim Entertainment group, expects to open a multi-screen venue at the Wafi Mall in Dubai. In January 2019, VOX cinemas opens its doors in Jeddah at the Red Sea Mall.
After decades of cinema ban, Cameron Mitchell, CEO of Majid Al Futtaim Cinemas, said that MAF is contributing to the Saudi Vision 2030, and the group announces in January 2019 VOX's rollout of 300 new screens in the Kingdom within 18 months as part of a $4 billion investment plan.
Restaurants and Cafés
In 2013, the group established a joint venture agreement with Gourmet Gulf, a food and beverage retail company. Majid Al Futtaim now co-owns the development and franchise rights to food brands such as Dalloyau, California Pizza Kitchen, YO! Sushi, Texas de Brazil, in more than 20 food and beverage outlets in the region.
- "Majid Al Futtaim". Forbes.com LLC™. Forbes. 2013. Retrieved January 26, 2014.
- "Majid Al Futtaim Celebrates Two Decades of Great Moments Since Pioneering the Middle East s First Integrated Retail Experience". lianapress.ae. Liana Press. March 31, 2015. Retrieved April 15, 2015.
- "MAF FY14 Results". KPMG Lower Gulf Limited. March 28, 2015.
- "Majid Al Futtaim expanding in Kenya, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, CEO says". Bloomberg. July 31, 2018.
- "Majid Al Futtaim, United Arab Emirates". Global Village Encyclopedia. Open Publishing. 2014. Archived from the original on February 1, 2014. Retrieved January 26, 2014.
- "Company Overview of Majid Al Futtaim Holding LLC". Businessweek.com. Open Publishing. 2014. Retrieved January 26, 2014.
- Press Release (May 22, 2013). "Carrefour and Majid Al Futtaim Holding Reorganize and Strengthen Their Partnership". online.wsj.com. The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved January 29, 2014.
- "Majid Al Futtaim". Forbes.com LLC. Forbes. 2013. Retrieved January 26, 2014.
- "Dubai's Majid Al Futtaim Rules Out IPO, Plans Egypt, Saudi Expansion". gulfbusiness.com. Guld Business. 2015. Archived from the original on May 18, 2015. Retrieved May 14, 2015.
- "MAF plots regional expansion". www.arabianbusiness.com. Arabian Business. 2004. Retrieved May 14, 2015.
- "Majid Al Futtaim Launches New Carrefour City Stores In Dubai". gulfbusiness.com. Gulf Business. 2014. Retrieved May 14, 2015.
- "Majid Al Futtaim (MAF) Group Shopping Malls". www.dubaifaqs.com. Dubai FAQs. 2015. Retrieved May 14, 2015.
- "Carrefour to debut in Iraq and Lebanon". www.franchise.ae. Franchise.ae. 2011. Retrieved May 14, 2015.
- "UAE's Majid Al Futtaim to expand Carrefour brand". www.arabianbusiness.com. Arabian Business. 2012. Retrieved May 14, 2015.
- "#456 Majid Al Futtaim & family". Forbes. November 12, 2018.
- "His Majesty confers Royal Commendation Order on Majid Al Futtaim". Times of Oman. December 11, 2018.
- "Oman- His Majesty the Sultan confers Royal Commendation on Majid al Futtaim". menafn. December 12, 2018.
- Hamdan, Sara (May 2, 2012). "Dubai Finesses Ease of Luxury Shopping for Chinese". The New York Times. Retrieved January 23, 2014.
- "Majid Al Futtaim Properties in Dubai". majidalfuttaim.com. 2015. Archived from the original on August 14, 2016.
- "Largest Hilton Garden Inn Outside America Opens in Dubai". hiltongardeninn.com. 2016. Retrieved December 24, 2015.
- "Majid Al Futtaim properties profits slide". Arabnews. February 27, 2018.
- "Where shopping is just the beginning". Majid Al Futtaim.
- "Majid Al-Futtaim set to officially open Mall of Egypt in March 2017". Daily News Egypt. September 10, 2016.
- "Majid Al Futtaim to invest $3.7bn building two malls in Riyadh". Arabian Business. February 8, 2016.
- "UAE's Al Futtaim Group says plans on for Saudi expansion". Gulf Business. April 16, 2017.
- "Mirdif City Centre in Dubai opens to the public". Gulf News. March 16, 2010.
- "Majid Al Futtaim's Oman mall set for January opening". Trade Arabia. December 31, 2018.
- "New $117m Oman shopping mall to open in January". Arabian Business. January 4, 2019.
- "https://www.internationalsupermarketnews.com/majid-al-futtaim-mall-operator-acquires-a-new-location-in-oman/". International Supermarket News. January 25, 2019. External link in
- "Suhar Mall ready for January opening in Oman". ME Construction News. December 31, 2018.
- "City Centre Suhar on track to open in Jan". SaudiGazette. December 31, 2018.
- Hamdan, Sara (May 2, 2012). "New $117m City Centre Suhar in Oman to open in Jan 2019". Gulf Business. Retrieved January 23, 2014.
- "MAJID AL FUTTAIM OPENS CITY CENTRE SUHAR". Muscat Daily. January 23, 2019.
- "Majid Al Futtaim focusing on fully integrated communities". Trade Arabia. October 2, 2018.
- "Why Oman is the perfect winter sun destination for golfers". The Telegraph. November 28, 2016.
- "Sharjah Govt, MAF jointly develop Al Zahia project". Gulf Property Me.
- "Majid Al Futtaim counts on Lebanese buyers at Waterfront City project in Beirut". The National. September 6, 2016.
- "FULL FRONTAL DEVELOPMENT". The Business Year. 2013.
- "UAE's Majid Al Futtaim set to launch Dubai mixed-use community". Arabian Business. April 16, 2018.
- The Independent (December 20, 2019). "Majid Al Futtaim opens first Carrefour Store in Uganda". The Independent (Uganda). Kampala. Retrieved October 11, 2020.
- "Majid Al Futtaim in Dh2.5 billion Carrefour deal to buy hypermarkets". www.thenational.ae. The National. 2013. Retrieved May 13, 2015.
- "Majid Al Futtaim acquires Geant franchise owner in Middle East". Khaleej Times. June 29, 2017.
- "Carrefour buys Geant, its French competitor in the Middle East". Al Arabyia. June 29, 2017.
- "Majid Al Futtaim to open 100 Carrefour stores in Egypt". Egypt Today. February 19, 2018.
- "Carrefour Opens in Pakistan". Good times. January 2, 2019.
- "Carrefour Market to be opened in Lahore soon". Dispatch News. January 9, 2019.
- "Dubai launches sail-thru supermarket for yacht owners". CNN Travel. December 17, 2018.
- "Nshama inks deal with Majid Al Futtaim Retail". Gulf Digital News. January 28, 2019.
- "Nshama Launches Massive Residential Project Town Square In Dubai". Gulf Business. February 26, 2015.
- "Majid Al Futtaim boss: 'We'll be everywhere' in Saudi cinema expansion". Arab News. January 23, 2019.
- "UAE retail giant launches first business school". Arabian Business. January 27, 2019.
- "Majid Al Futtaim business hypermarkets supermarkets". majidalfuttaim.com. Majid Al Futtaim. 2019.
- "Majid Al Futtaim unveils Carrefour's Regional Distribution Centre in Dubai". Images Retail Me. May 1, 2018.
- "Emirates is most popular brand in the UAE, YouGov says". The National. July 31, 2018.
- "Majid Al Futtaim records resilient performance". Images Retail Me. January 31, 2018.
- "Data analytics to create "bespoke" customer experiences, says Majid Al Futtaim CEO". Arabian Business. December 11, 2017.
- "Smart Dubai, Majid Al Futtaim to explore data development". ITP. December 11, 2017.
- "UAE's Majid Al Futtaim signs franchise deal with homeware brand Maisons du Monde". Gulf Business. June 13, 2017.
- "Will.i.am's startup raises $117 million, enters enterprise market". Reuters. November 6, 2017.
- "Dubai retail giant inks deal with will.i.am's US tech firm". Arabian Business. January 22, 2019.
- "MAF partners with will.I.AM for AI system". Arabian Industry. January 22, 2019.
- "Majid Al Futtaim to deploy AI-based customer solutions". Trade Arabia. January 24, 2019.
- "Will.i.am unveils new AI-powered voice assistant". Reuters. January 22, 2019.
- "Carrefour signs deal with Jumia to offer online shopping in Kenya". Standard Digital. November 30, 2018.
- "Majid Al Futtaim group picks up stake in Saudi e-tailer". Gulf News. October 25, 2018.
- "UAE's Majid Al Futtaim leads $30m investment round for Saudi grocery app". Gulf Business. October 24, 2018.
- "Wadi in $30 million strategic partnership with Majid Al Futtaim". Saudi Gazette. October 29, 2018.
- "Dubai mall firm Majid Al Futtaim H1 revenue rises 7%", Gulf Business, 5 August 2015. Accessed 26 August 2015.
- "MAF Ventures looks to markets abroad". The National AE. November 1, 2015.
- "8 unusual places to have the ski holiday of a lifetime". www.thevine.com. The Vine. 2014. Retrieved May 13, 2015.
- "Magic Planet opens second outlet in Bahrain". www.tradearabia.com. Trade Arabia. 2015. Retrieved May 13, 2015.
- "New A380 Simulator Launched In Dubai's Mirdif City Centre". www.gulfbusiness.com. Gulf Arabia. 2014. Retrieved May 13, 2015.
- "Lego Opens First MENA Store In Abu Dhabi, Plans Dubai Store "Soon"". www.gulfbusiness.com. Gulf Business. 2014. Retrieved May 13, 2015.
- "'One-of-a-kind facility' for Mirdif City". Hotelier MiddleEast. November 25, 2009.
- "'World's largest indoor ski resort' coming to China -- via Dubai". CNN. September 11, 2018.
- "The Egyptian North Pole: Experience skiing the Egyptian way!". Think Marketing. February 19, 2017.
- "Majid Al Futtaim properties profits slide". Arab News. February 27, 2018.
- "Dubai's City Centre Mirdif to host first Orbi interactive edutainment attraction outside Japan". The National. April 4, 2017.
- "Dubai's Majid Al Futtaim Rules Out IPO, Plans Egypt, Saudi Expansion". Gulf Business. March 29, 2015.
- "Indoor skydiving in Dubai". Time Out Dubai. May 17, 2010.
- "Majid Al Futtaim Opens the doors of Mall of Egypt". Think Marketing. March 3, 2017.
- "Saudi Arabia's biggest gaming destination opens". Trade Arabia. June 10, 2018.
- "Lego Opens First MENA Store In Abu Dhabi, Plans Dubai Store "Soon"". Gulf Business. November 27, 2014.
- "360 MALL now home to Kuwait's second LEGO® Certified Store". Eye of Riyadh. April 10, 2016.
- "MAJID AL FUTTAIM: AMERICAN GIRL OPENS BRAND NEW STORE AT CITY CENTRE MIRDIF". EPR Retail News. November 24, 2017.
- "Majid Al Futtaim brings American Girl to Middle East". Trade Arabia. December 12, 2016.
- "Majid Al Futtaim To Invest Dhs750m In VOX Cinemas Expansion". www.gulfbusiness.com. Gulf Business. 2014. Retrieved May 13, 2015.
- "First multiplex cinema opens in Saudi Arabia". Gulf News. May 1, 2018.
- "New multi-screen Vox Cinemas to open at Dubai's Wafi mall". Gulf Business. January 7, 2019.
- "VOX plans for Dubai's Wafi Mall". Intergame online. January 9, 2019.
- "Majid Al Futtaim's Vox Cinemas opens in Jeddah". Digitalstudiome. January 29, 2019.
- "Dubai's VOX Cinemas inks deal to bring IMAX theatres to Saudi Arabia". Arabian Business. May 15, 2018.
- "Dubai's MAF Signs JV With Gourmet Gulf, Enters F&B Market". Gulf Business. August 12, 2013.
- "Gourmet Gulf set to launch four new F&B brands". Arabian Business. May 26, 2014.
- "Dubai's Majid Al Futtaim acquires UAE mobile wallet app Beam". Gulf Business.
- "Majid Al Futtaim acquires UAE-based mobile wallet Beam". MENA Bytes.
- "Dubai-based mobile payments provider Beam goes global after major retail acquisition". CNBC. December 6, 2018.
- "Dubai-based mobile wallet app Beam eyes global expansion". Arabian business. December 8, 2018.
- "Majid Al Futtaim and Dalkia expand ME FM services". Construction Week Online. December 9, 2010.
- "France's Veolia to mobilise $200m in investments as it looks to expand Middle East footprint". The National | Arab Emirates. January 20, 2018.