Majid bin Abdullah Al Qasabi
Dr Majid bin Abdullah Al Qasabi is the Minister of Commerce and Investment of Saudi Arabia. Prior to entering the Saudi politics, Al Qasabi earned a Doctorate in engineering management.
Early life and education
Majid Al Qasabi pursued his university education in the USA, receiving a Bachelor's degree in civil engineering in 1981 from the University of Portlandn. In 1982 he obtained a Master's degree in civil engineering from U.C. Berkeley, followed by another Master's degree in engineering management, and a PhD in engineering management from the University of Missouri, obtained in 1985.
In 1998 Dr. Al Qasabi left the King Abdulaziz University to become Secretary General of the Jeddah Chamber of Commerce & Industry, a role which he held until 2002.
In 2002, he served as director-general of the Sultan Bin Abdul Aziz Al Saud Foundation and became an Advisor at the Crown Prince’s Court in 2010, and president of Special Affairs for Crown Prince Sultan and his two successors between 2011 and 2014.
Dr. Al Qasabi was named Minister of Social Affairs of Saudi Arabia by royal decree on 29 January 2015. Within the first 100 days of his appointment, a center for studies and research called Nama (growth in Arabic) was set up in Riyadh, to follow up on all initiatives carried out by the Ministry of Social Affairs.
Minister of Commerce and Investment
Leading the Ministry of Commerce and Investment, Dr. Al Qasabi is in charge of implementing structural reform in line with Saudi Arabia's national plan Vision 2030. Accordingly, the nation's foreign investment license provider, The Saudi Arabian General Investment Authority (SAGIA) was built into the Ministry of Commerce and Investment.
In 2016, the General Authority for Small and Medium Enterprises was established, and held its first Board of Directors' meeting in November 2016. The authority was established by the Council of Ministers and headed by Dr. Al Qasabi.
Under his leadership, Saudi Arabia allowed full ownership by foreign investors in firms belonging to the health and education sectors in the country, as well as the engineering services companies.
- Member of the boards of several major Saudi charities
- Member of the Council of the Saudi Ports Authority Management
- Member of the High Commission for the Development of Ha’il
- Member of the Centennial Fund
- Member of the Supreme Economic Council
- من هو وزير التجارة والاستثمار الجديد ماجد القصبي؟, Almowaten.net, 8 May 2016
- Lucien Zeigler, , Sustg.com, 14 June 2016
- His Excellency Dr. Majid Bin Abdullah Al Qasabi, Mci.gov.sa
- Dr. Majid bin Abdullah Al-Qusaibi, Susris.com
- Providing the tools, Thebusinessyear.com, 2017
- Small And Medium Enterprises Authority Holds Its First Board Of Directors Meeting, Mci.gov.sa, 11 December 2016