|Directed by||Shiva Nirvana|
|Written by||Shiva Nirvana|
|Produced by||Sahu Garapati|
|Edited by||Prawin Pudi|
|Box office||est. ₹700 million|
Majili (transl. A part of a journey) is a 2019 Indian Telugu-language romantic sports film directed by Shiva Nirvana and produced by Sahu Garapati and Harish Peddi under the banner of Shine Screens Production. The film features Naga Chaitanya, Samantha Akkineni, Divyansha Kaushik in the lead roles, with Subbaraju, Rao Ramesh, and Atul Kulkarni in supporting roles. The film is loosely based on K. Viswanath's Sagara Sangamam.
The film marks Chaitanya and Samantha's fourth collaboration together after Ye Maaya Chesave, Manam, and Autonagar Surya and their first collaboration after their marriage. The film released on 5 April 2019 and received a positive response from audience and critics.
Poorna, who lives in Vizag, aspires to play for the Indian Cricket Team and wants to initially get selected for the local railway team. While trying to get money to get into a cricket team, he runs into Anshu, and after some misunderstandings, they become close and fall in love. However, they later get separated by Anshu's parents and the circumstances that plague them: Anshu, who promises to return to Poorna, never comes back. Poorna falls into a depressed state, turning to alcohol for his pain and pushing away his cricket career.
Meanwhile, Sravani, Poorna's neighbour, had been in love with Poorna, which he is unaware of. When she had learned of Poorna's love for Anshu, she had been distancing herself from him, but she marries him after a few years after seeing his and his father's pain. Poorna marries Sravani due to pressure from his father but maintains his distance and does not go to work, instead reliving his memories with Anshu and relying on Sravani's salary for money to buy alcohol.
When Poorna goes to Dehradun to help select some cricket players for the youth team, he encounters Meera, Anshu's daughter. He learns that Anshu and her husband Kunal passed away in an accident and agrees to take Meera back with him to Vizag for cricket training. While training Meera, Poorna and Sravani decide to adopt Meera so that she can participate in the local railway team and follow her passion for cricket. However, Meera says that she will only agree if Poorna and Sravani act like a husband and wife and not strangers, which they agree to.
During this time, Poorna realizes Sravani's love for him, and he decides to leave his past for a new start. However, Sravani thinks that he is just acting his love for her. So, she decides to get a job transfer to Bhubaneswar, leaving Poorna behind. When Poorna goes to drop Sravani off at the railway station, he tells that he loves her. He was actually going to tell her that he loves her, but she then has decided to leave. Sravani decides to stay, and they embrace, finishing Poorna's journey (Majili) towards love.
- Naga Chaitanya Akkineni as Poorna Chandra Rao / Poorna
- Samantha Akkineni as Sravani
- Divyansha Kaushik as Anshu
- Subbaraju as Bhushan
- Rao Ramesh as Rama Chandra Rao, Poorna's father
- Atul Kulkarni as Rajeev, Anshu's father
- Ananya Agarwal as Meera, Anshu and Kunal's daughter (later adopted daughter of Sravani and Poorna)
- Posani Krishna Murali as Rajendra, Sravani's father
- Sai Teja Kalvakota as Kunal, Anshu's husband
- Rajshri Nair as Sri Lakshmi, Sravani's mother
- Ravi Prakash as Coach Srinu
- Suhas as Jonty, Poorna's friend
- C. V. L. Narasimha Rao as Subramanyam, Sravani's manager
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||30 March 2019|
|Studio||Sunsa Digital Workstation|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Gopi Sundar chronology|
First track from the album was released on 8 March 2019 (Women's Day), "One Boy One Girl" was very catchy and lyrics penned by Bhaskarabhatla. Second track "Priyathama Priyathama" sung by Chinmayi Sripada and lyrics penned by Chaitanyaprasad was released on 11 March 2019. Third track "Naa Gundello" sung by Yazin Nizar and Nikhita Gandhi and lyrics penned by Rambabu Gosala was released on 14 March 2019. Fourth track Yedetthu Mallele sung by Kaala Bhairava and Nikhita Gandhi and lyrics penned by Shiva Nirvana was released on 18 March 2019. Fifth track, Ye Manishike Majiliyo, sung by Arun Gopan, Chinmayi Sripada, and Baby Anusha and lyrics penned by Vanamali was released on 21 March 2019.
|1.||"One Boy One Girl"||Bhaskarabhatla||Revanth||03:50|
|3.||"Naa Gundello"||Rambabu Gosala||Yazin Nizar, Nikhita Gandhi||04:23|
|4.||"Yedetthu Mallele"||Shiva Nirvana||Kaala Bhairava, Nikhita Gandhi||02:12|
|5.||"Ye Manishike Majiliyo"||Vanamali||Arun Gopan, Chinmayi, Baby Anusha||04:02|
|6.||"Maayya Maayya"||Bhaskarabhatla||Anurag Kulkarni||04:10|
The first look of Naga Chaitanya was revealed on his birthday. The look featured the actor in a beard, sitting on an old-model scooter. The first look of the film released on 30 December 2018, one day before new year which features Naga Chaitanya with a beard look and Samantha Akkineni holding each other. The second look of the film was released on the eve of Makar Sankranti 14 January 2019, which features Chaitanya as cricketer with clean shave look and Divyansha Kaushik by his side. A new poster was released on 12 February 2019, in which Naga Chaitanya and Samantha were seen happy on boarding bus, and the team has announced the teaser date. Teaser of the movie was released on 14 February 2019 as a Valentine's Day treat.
Team has announced a contest my releasing a new poster as 'My Majili Poster' on 1 March 2019, in which Samantha looking at Chaitanya happily which look so adorable, and a cricket kit bag beside Chaitanya. A new poster was released on 3 March 2019 in which Naga Chaitanya and Samantha are seen on bike, in which Samantha looks happy seeing Chaitanya.
Majili collected a total gross of ₹28.15 Crores and share of ₹17.35 Crores in the first weekend, and became biggest opener in Naga Chaitanya's career. In just five days, the movie collected a total gross of ₹40 Crores and share of ₹21.50 Crores worldwide, and recovered 100 percent of its distributors' investments. In the first week movie collected a total gross of ₹45.60 Crores and share of ₹27.85 Crores worldwide. In 10 days, the movie collected a total share of ₹32.93 Crores worldwide. In 28 days, movie collected a total gross of ₹68.05 Crores and a share of ₹38.52 Crores worldwide. Movie collected ₹40 Crores share and ₹70 Crores gross worldwide in 30 days.
Majili received positive reviews from critics.NDTV gave 3.5 out of 5 stars stating "Seamless in its emotional velocity, Majili neatly weaves together the fluctuating fortunes of three messy lives. There is nothing here that we haven't seen before. But then, who said life is all about constantly finding new experiences? Exploring the inner spaces of the man-woman mythology, Majili hits on a narrative that's moving and rewarding". Firstpost gave 3.5 out of 5 stars stating "Majili is an honest portrayal of relationships. With some terrific performances by its cast, Vishnu Sarma’s cinematography, and fine writing from Shiva Niravana, the film turns into an enriching experience. It does leave you with a hangover of pain and love. Two big thumbs up". News18 gave 3.5 out of 5 stars stating "The film about losing love and finding faith, is a lengthy and fairly satisfying ode to the human heart and its vagaries." The Times of India gave 3 out of 5 stars stating "Majili takes you on a gripping rollercoaster ride, but it's a romance drama with more pain than love". IndiaGlitz gave 3 out of 5 stars stating " 'Majili' is about events rather than conversations. It could have been a coming-of-age drama but it remains content with situational humour and convenient situations for the most part. Performances and a couple of other elements save the day".
Gemini TV acquired the satellite rights for ₹5 crore, digital streaming rights were acquired by Amazon Prime video for ₹3.5 crore and Hindi dubbing rights were sold to Aditya Movies for ₹4 crore. The film is available for streaming on Amazon Prime video since 10 May 2019.
Awards and nominations
|Date of ceremony||Award||Category||Recipient(s) and nominee(s)||Result||Ref.|
|11 January 2020||Zee Cine Awards Telugu||Best Actor - Female||Samantha Akkineni||Won|||
|Best Playback Singer - Female||Chinmayi||Won|
- "Majili box office collection day 3: ChaySam film crosses Rs 25 crore mark worldwide on weekend". International Business Times. 8 April 2019. Retrieved 26 December 2019.
- "Majili box office collection: ChaySam film debuts on Amazon Prime after earning Rs 40 crores worldwide". International Business Times. 12 May 2019. Retrieved 6 August 2020.
Majili has collected over Rs 70 crore gross at the worldwide box office in 30 days and earned Rs 40 crore for its distributors.
- "Naga Chaitanya says 'Majili' will remain close to his heart". The News Minute. 6 April 2020. Retrieved 7 August 2020.
- "Naga Chaitanya and Samantha to star in Shiv Nirvana's next 'Majili'". Theindianwire.
- "Naga Chaitanya and Samantha turn into a troubled couple for 'Majili'". The Times of India. 2 November 2018. Retrieved 17 March 2019.
- "Naga Chaitanya reveals what fights with wife Samantha are like". Indiatoday.
- "Shiva Nirvana reveals Naga Chaitanya and Samantha's character names in 'Majili'". Timesofindia.
- "Naga Chaitanya and Samantha's roles from 'Majili' revealed". Thehansindia.
- "Shooting Pics: Naga Chaitanya & Samantha in Vizag for 'Majili'". Timesofindia.
- "Majili wraps up its shoot! Samantha and Chay leave special messages". Timesofindia.
- "Samantha Akkineni and Naga Chaitanya finish dubbing for Majili". Zeenews.
- "'Majili' completes dubbing works". IndiaGlitz.
- "Shiva Nirvana says Thaman S' BGM for 'Majili' will be a standout". timesofindia.
- "Majili's One Boy One Girl Song: Foot Tapping Number". Telugu360.
- "Listen To: Priyathama song from Majili". Gulte.
- "A soothing romantic number from 'Majili'". Gulte.
- "Music review: Majili". timesofindia.
- "Chaitanya, Samantha and Shiva Nirvana film 'Majili' Release Date is on April 5th". The Hans India. 14 January 2019. Retrieved 13 December 2019.
- ""Majili" Overseas Release by Moonshine Cinemas". Mirchi9. 14 February 2019. Retrieved 13 December 2019.
- "Birthday look: Naga Chaitanya goes retro for 'Majili'". Times of India. 23 November 2018. Retrieved 13 December 2019.
- "'Majili' first look poster: Tollywood in awe of Naga Chaitanya -Samantha's chemistry". Times of India. 30 December 2018. Retrieved 13 December 2019.
- "Majili: The first-look poster of Naga Chaitanya-Samantha's film is out". India Today. 30 December 2018. Retrieved 13 December 2019.
- "Majili Second Look". Times of India. 14 January 2019. Retrieved 13 December 2019.
- "Majili poster: Naga Chaitanya-Samantha Akkineni's film also stars Divyansha Kaushik. See photo". Hindustan Times. 14 January 2019. Retrieved 13 December 2019.
- "Naga Chaitanya and Samantha Akkineni look adorable in new poster of Majili; teaser out on Valentine's Day". Times Now. 12 February 2019. Retrieved 13 December 2019.
- "Majili movie teaser review: Naya Chaitanya-Samantha Akkineni's chemistry doubles expectations". International Business Times. 14 February 2019. Retrieved 13 December 2019.
- "Majili teaser: Naga Chaitanya, Samantha Akkineni are perfect in this imperfect love story". The Indian Express. 14 February 2019. Retrieved 13 December 2019.
- "Majili: Naga Chaitanya and Samantha Akkineni look adorable in the new poster". Bollyinside. 1 March 2019. Retrieved 13 December 2019.
- "Nagarjuna reveals a few secrets about Chay-Sam's personal life at 'Majili' pre-release event". Times of India. 1 April 2019. Retrieved 13 December 2019.
- "Watch: Chai-Sam's 'Majili' trailer suggests an emotional romantic drama". The News Minute. 1 April 2019. Retrieved 13 December 2019.
- "Majili box office collection Day 3: Samantha and Naga Chaitanya beat bad reviews to strike gold". India Today. 8 April 2019. Retrieved 26 December 2019.
- "Majili box office collection day 5: ChaySam film crosses Rs 40 crore mark worldwide on Tuesday". International Business Times. 10 April 2019. Retrieved 26 December 2019.
- "Majili box office collection day 7: ChaySam movie crosses Rs 45 crore mark worldwide in first week". International Business Times. 12 April 2019. Retrieved 26 December 2019.
- "'Majili' box office collections day 10: Naga Chaitanya, Samantha and Divyansha Kaushik's film makes Rs 32.93 Cr share worldwide". The Times of India. 16 April 2019. Retrieved 26 December 2019.
- "Majili 28 days box office collections report". The Hans India. 3 May 2019. Retrieved 26 December 2019.
- "Majili box office collection in US premieres: ChaySam's film turns 4th biggest opener of 2019". International Business Times. 5 April 2019. Retrieved 26 December 2019.
- "Majili Movie Review: Naga Chaitanya And Samantha Ruth Prabhu Immerse Themselves In Moving And Rewarding Narrative". NDTV. 5 April 2019. Retrieved 13 December 2019.
- "Majili movie review: Naga Chaitanya delivers career-best performance, ably supported by Samantha". Firstpost. 5 April 2019. Retrieved 13 December 2019.
- "Majili Movie Review: Naga Chaitanya, Samantha Akkineni's Film has Perfect Emotional Velocity". News18. 5 April 2019. Retrieved 13 December 2019.
- "MAJILI MOVIE REVIEW". Times of India. 5 April 2019. Retrieved 13 December 2019.
- "Majili Review". IndiaGlitz. 5 April 2019. Retrieved 13 December 2019.
- "'Majili' Hindi dubbed version: Naga Chaitanya, Samantha's film crosses 100 million views on YouTube". Movies Updates. 17 June 2021. Retrieved 23 June 2021.
- "Majili Streaming Rights Sold for Record Price". Telugu360. 7 March 2019. Retrieved 26 December 2019.
- "Majili". Amazon Prime Video. Amazon. Retrieved 10 May 2019.
- "Zee Cine awards Telugu 2020: Samantha Akkineni, Chiranjeevi and Nani win top laurels". Hindustan Times. 12 January 2020. Retrieved 12 January 2020.