|No. 31 Tampa Bay Buccaneers|
|Date of birth:||July 1, 1988|
|Place of birth:||Lauderdale Lakes, Florida|
|Height:||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|Weight:||204 lb (93 kg)|
|High school:||Fort Lauderdale (FL) Aquinas|
|NFL draft:||2010 / Round: 3 / Pick: 75|
|Career highlights and awards|
Career NFL statistics as of 2014
|Stats at NFL.com|
|Stats at pro-football-reference.com|
Major Wright (born July 1, 1988) is an American football safety who currently plays for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He played college football for the University of Florida, and was a member of a BCS National Championship team. He was drafted by the Chicago Bears in the third round of the 2010 NFL Draft, and has also played for the NFL's Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
Wright was born in Lauderdale Lakes, Florida. He attended St. Thomas Aquinas High School in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, where he played high school football for the St. Thomas Aquinas Raiders and ran track. As a junior, he recorded 58 tackles with six interceptions and as a sophomore had 71 tackles and 10 interceptions. As a senior, he was a finalist for the Hall Trophy (U.S. Army Player of the Year Award) after he recorded 72 tackles and three interceptions. He played in the 2007 U.S. Army All-American Bowl. Wright was an All-state selection both years. In track & field, Wright posted personal-bests of 11.1 in the 100-meter dash, 22.8 in the 200-meter dash and 41.32 in the 4x100m relay.
|Name||Hometown||High school / college||Height||Weight||40‡||Commit date|
|Fort Lauderdale||St. Thomas Aquinas||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)||200 lb (91 kg)||4.5||Jan 30, 2007|
|Scout: Rivals: 247Sports: N/A ESPN grade: 80|
|Overall recruiting rankings: Scout: 1 Rivals: 4|
Wright accepted an athletic scholarship to attend the University of Florida in Gainesville, Florida, where he played for coach Urban Meyer's Florida Gators football team from 2007 to 2009. As a freshman in 2007, Wright started seven of 13 games for the Gators at free safety, recording 67 tackles, four forced fumbles and an interception. He was a first-team freshman All-American by CollegeFootballNews.com and second-team freshman All-American by Rivals.com. As a sophomore in 2008, Wright started all 14 games at free safety, recording 66 tackles and four interceptions, with one returned for a touchdown. He had nine tackles and an interception in the Gators win over the Oklahoma Sooners in the 2009 BCS National Championship Game.
The Chicago Bears selected Wright in the third round (75th overall pick) of the 2010 NFL Draft, and was predicted to be a future starter by former Bears general manager Jerry Angelo. During his rookie season, Wright played in eleven of sixteen regular season games. He recorded his first career interception in 2011 off a Michael Vick pass against the Philadelphia Eagles, when a pass by Vick squirted through linebacker Lance Briggs's hands into Wright, who was able to return the ball 39 yards. A week later against the Detroit Lions, Wright intercepted a Matthew Stafford lob and returned it 24 yards for a touchdown, which was the first pick-six of his career.
In the 2012 season Wright started all 16 games for the Bears at Strong Safety, recording four interceptions along with 52 tackles for the year. During the Week 3 match up against the St. Louis Rams he returned an interception 45 yards for a defensive touchdown.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
On April 4, 2014, Wright agreed to a one-year contract with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, reuniting with his former Bears head coach Lovie Smith. Wright was cut by the Buccaneers on August 30, 2014. Wright rejoined the team on September 3, 2014.
Wright re-signed with the Buccaneers on March 7, 2015.
- 2008 Florida Gators football team
- List of Chicago Bears players
- List of Florida Gators football players in the NFL
- Pro-Football-Reference.com, Players, Major Wright. Retrieved April 7, 2011.
- GatorZone.com, Football History, 2009 Roster, Major Wright. Retrieved April 7, 2011.
- 2011 Florida Gators Football Media Guide, University Athletic Association, Gainesville, Florida, pp. 89, 99, 154, 186 (2011). Retrieved September 1, 2011.
- "Three Gators enter NFL draft," ESPN.com (January 11, 2010). Retrieved May 19, 2011.
- Pro Football Hall of Fame, Draft History, 2010 National Football League Draft. Retrieved May 19, 2011.
- Jeff Dickerson, "Bears make Major decision," ESPN.com (April 24, 2010). Retrieved May 19, 2011.
- "Bears hit the ground running once again". Chicagobears.com. Retrieved August 3, 2012.
- "Defense fuels Bears to victory over Lions". Chicagobears.com. November 13, 2011. Retrieved August 3, 2012.
- Wesseling, Chris (April 4, 2014). "Major Wright, Tampa Bay Buccaneers agree to contract". NFL.com. Retrieved April 4, 2014.
- Sessler, Marc (March 7, 2015). "Buccaneers agree to terms with safety Major Wright". NFL.com. Retrieved March 7, 2015.