Majuba Power Station
|Majuba Power Station|
|Thermal power station|
|Units operational||3 X 665 MW
3 X 716 MW
|Nameplate capacity||4,110 MW|
Majuba Power Station between Volksrust and Amersfoort in Mpumalanga, South Africa, is a coal-fired power plant operated by Eskom. Majuba is Eskom's only power station that is not linked to a specific mine and it receives its coal from various sources.
Construction started in September 1983 and by April 1996 the first unit was connected to the grid. The last unit was commissioned in April 2001.
Majuba has three 665 MW dry-cooled units and three 716 MW wet-cooled units with a total installed capacity of 4,110MW with a turbine Maximum Continuous Rating of 35.3% on the dry-cooled turbines and 37.7% on the wet-cooled units.
Underground coal gasification
In addition to coal, the Majuba Power Station is fired by syngas produced by underground coal gasification at the nearby Majuba demonstration facility on the Majuba coalfield. The 3,000–5,000 cubic metres per hour (110,000–180,000 cu ft/h) pilot plant was commissioned in January 2007 and the first electricity was generated from the underground coal gasification gas on 31 May 2007. Produced syngas is transported from the facility to the power station by 7-kilometre (4.3 mi) pipeline with a diameter of 600 millimetres (24 in). There is a plan to build a 1,200 MW commercial generation facility.
On 1 November 2014, the plant was running under normal load when a visible crack was reported on Silo 20 by a member of the operating staff at approximately 12:30. Personnel in the area were subsequently evacuated. At 13:20, the silo collapsed and the plant's output was immediately reduced from 3600MW to 1800MW. Shortly after the output was reduced further to 600MW.
- "MAJUBA POWER STATION". Eskom. Retrieved 2 November 2014.
- "ESKOM's underground coal gasification project" (PDF). European Commission. 2008-05-05. Retrieved 2011-09-04.
- Venter, Irma (2007-02-12). "Coal experts search for ways to cut emissions". Mining Weekly. Creamer Media. Retrieved 2011-09-04.
- Hannah, Jessica (2011-08-12). "Coal gasification demo plant design study under way". Mining Weekly. Creamer Media. Retrieved 2011-09-04.
- "Media Briefing - Damage to Majuba power station coal storage silo" (PDF). Eskom.co.za. Retrieved 15 January 2015.