for the Parliament of Kenya
Makadara Constituency is an electoral constituency in Nairobi City County, Kenya. It is one of seventeen constituencies in the county. It was renamed prior to the 1997 elections, but was also known as Doonholm Constituency for the 1963 and 1969 elections, then as Bahati Constituency. It consists of some central and southern of central areas of Nairobi County. The entire constituency is located within Nairobi City County, and has an area of 13 km². The current constituency boundaries were revised prior to the 2013 elections.
Mwai Kibaki, who later became the president of Kenya, served as a Makadara MP before moving to Othaya Constituency. The constituency was also represented by Gideon Kioko Mbuvi who was elected in a by-election in 2010, replacing Dickson Wathika, whose election in 2007 was invalidated due to 'election irregularities'. Sonko went on to become the senator for Nairobi County in 2013, and is currently the Governor of Nairobi County which is also the Capital of Kenya.
Members of Parliament
|1969||Mwai Kibaki||KANU||One-party system|
|1974||James Muriuki||KANU||One-party systems.|
|1979||Fredrick Esau Omido||KANU||One-party system|
|1983||Fredrick Esau Omido||KANU||One-party system.|
|1988||Fredrick Esau Omido||KANU||One-party system.|
|1997||Paul Mugeke||Democratic Party|
|2007||Dickson Wathika||PNU||Election invalidated in April 2010 due to electoral irregularities|
|2010||Gidion Mbuvi Kioko||NARC-Kenya||By-election (September 20, 2010)|
County Assembly wards
The Sub-county shares the same boundaries as the constituency. The Sub-county is headed by the sub-county administrator, appointed by a County Public Service Board.
- Daily Nation, September 20, 2010: Seats fell vacant after election petitions
- Daily Nation, September 20, 2010: PNU trounced in Juja as ODM wins Starehe Mbuvi (19,913); Ndolo (17,652); Wathika (11,088)
- Center for Multiparty Democracy: Politics and Paliamenterians in Kenya 1944-2007
- information.go.ke: CDF allocation by sector and location (2003-6)[permanent dead link]
- "County Governments Act No. 17 of 2012" (PDF). Law Society of Kenya. p. 39. Retrieved 4 November 2022.