Make Her Say
|"Make Her Say"|
|Single by Kid Cudi featuring Kanye West and Common|
|from the album Man on the Moon: The End of Day|
|Released||June 9, 2009|
|Studio||Avex Honolulu Studios |
|Length||3:36 (album version)|
3:57 (single version)
|Kid Cudi singles chronology|
|Kanye West singles chronology|
|Common singles chronology|
"Make Her Say" is a song by American hip hop recording artist Kid Cudi, released as the second single from his debut album Man on the Moon: The End of Day (2009). The single was digitally released to iTunes on June 9, 2009. It features fellow American rappers Common and Kanye West, the latter of whom also produced the song. The song is perhaps best known for its sample of "Poker Face", as performed by Lady Gaga. The song received a nomination for Best Rap Performance by a Duo or Group at the 52nd Grammy Awards.
Background and lyrical content
"Make Her Say" is performed by Kid Cudi, Kanye West, and Common. It was originally titled "I Poke Her Face", but was changed to make it more acceptable for radio. The song was written by all three artists, produced by West, and features scratches from DJ A-Trak. Lady Gaga (of whom West is a fan) and producer RedOne are credited as co-writers, because an acoustic version of Gaga's song "Poker Face" from The Cherrytree Sessions EP is sampled throughout the song. Gaga voiced approval of the track, saying that West "had so much insight into what the song was about." Incidentally, just a few weeks later, the two revealed plans to tour together; however, the tour was later canceled. In addition to the Lady Gaga sample, the song also makes references to T.I.'s "Whatever You Like" , Asher Roth's "I Love College", and Jamie Foxx's "Blame It".
The music video for "Make Her Say" was directed by Nez Khammal and released on July 20, 2009. The video carries a minimal aesthetic, with scenes taking place in empty, wide-open spaces. Although Kid Cudi, Kanye West, and Common all appear in the video, they never attended a film shoot together. The music video utilizes a split screen effect to create the illusion that the three artists were all filmed in the same location. In reality, they had shot their individual scenes on opposite coasts of the United States; Common and Kid Cudi were filmed in New York City while Kanye was filmed in Los Angeles. The group had wanted Lady Gaga to be included in the video, but she was too busy to make the appearance.
Kid Cudi performed the song solo during his set at the 2009 Bamboozle music festival. Kid Cudi also performed the song on June 13 in Chicago at The B96 Pepsi Summer Bash and in London at the 2009 O2 Wireless Festival. He also performed his verse of the song at Lollapalooza 2009 in Chicago, IL. He performed the song with Lady Gaga on her Monster Ball tour in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
Man on the Moon CD: The End of Day
- "Make Her Say" - 3:36
- "Make Her Say" – 3:57
Promotional CD single
- "Make Her Say" (Clean) – 3:58
- "Make Her Say" (Dirty) – 3:58
- "Make Her Say" (Instrumental) – 3:57
Promotional CD single 2nd Version
- "Make Her Say" – 3:58
- "Make Her Say" (Instrumental) – 3:57
- "Make Her Say" (Afrojack Remix) – 4:20
- "Make Her Say" (Nadastrom 88 Dub) – 6:10
U.S. CD single
- "Make Her Say" – 3:59
- "Day 'N' Night" – 3:42
- "Day 'N' Night" (Crookers Remix) – 4:41
In the United States, "Make Her Say" debuted at number fifty-one on the Billboard Hot 100 on June 18, 2009. That same week, it also entered the Canadian Hot 100 at number seventy-eight. The song entered the Bubbling Under R&B/Hip-Hop Singles chart at number six for the issue date of July 4. The following week, it appeared on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart at number seventy-three.
|Australian Urban Singles Chart||27|
|Belgium (Ultratip Flanders)||18|
|Belgium (Ultratip Wallonia)||7|
|Canadian Hot 100||78|
|German Singles Chart||85|
|Israeli Singles Chart||10|
|New Zealand Singles Chart||35|
|UK Singles Chart||67|
|UK R&B Chart||24|
|US Billboard Hot 100||43|
|US Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs||39|
|US Billboard Rap Songs||11|
|US Billboard Pop Songs||39|
|United States (RIAA)||Platinum||1,000,000|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- "Make Her Say – Single". iTunes Store. Apple Inc. June 9, 2009. Retrieved June 9, 2009.
- Reid, Shaheem (May 28, 2009). "Kanye West 'Inspired' By Lady Gaga's 'Poker Face' For Kid Cudi Single". MTV. MTV Networks. Retrieved May 28, 2009.
- Reed, Shaheim (May 6, 2009). "Lady Gaga Says Kanye West Saw Past Her 'Poker Face'". MTV. MTV Networks. Retrieved May 6, 2009.
- Vena, Jocelyn (June 10, 2009). "Kanye West To Tour With Lady Gaga". MTV. MTV Networks Inc. Retrieved June 10, 2009.
- Kash, Tim; Roberts, Steven (July 20, 2009). "Kanye West, Common Lend Kid Cudi Bicoastal Support In Video". MTV. MTV Networks. Retrieved July 20, 2009.
- Weingarten, Christopher (May 3, 2009). ""Journey" Surprise Fall Out Boy Crowd With Bamboozle Set". Rolling Stone. RealNetworks, Inc. Retrieved May 7, 2009.
- Ben-Yehuda, Ayala (June 18, 2009). "Black Eyed Peas Take Top Two Slots On Billboard Hot 100". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. Retrieved June 18, 2009.
- "Canadian Hot 100 – Make Her Say". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. June 18, 2009. Retrieved June 18, 2009.
- "Bubbling Under R&B/Hip-Hop Singles – Make Her Say". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. June 27, 2009. Retrieved June 27, 2009.
- "Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Singles – Make Her Say". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. July 4, 2009. Retrieved July 4, 2009.
- "Kid Cudi featuring Kanye West and Common – Make Her Say". acharts.us. June 18, 2009. Retrieved June 18, 2009.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-02-10. Retrieved 2009-05-17.
- "Ultratop.be – KID CUDI FEAT. KANYE WEST & COMMON – Make Her Say" (in Dutch). Ultratip.
- "Ultratop.be – KID CUDI FEAT. KANYE WEST & COMMON – Make Her Say" (in French). Ultratip.
- Billboard Canadian Hot 100 : Jun 27, 2009 | Billboard Chart Archive
- Charts - VIVA.tv Archived 2010-07-22 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Media Forest: Airplay chart". mediaforest.biz.
- The Official New Zealand Music Chart Archived 2011-02-02 at WebCite
- Kid Cudi featuring Kanye West and Common - Make Her Say - Music Charts
- 2009-10-10 Top 40 R&B Singles Archive | Official Charts Archived 2010-12-20 at the Wayback Machine.
- The Hot 100 : Jul 25, 2009 | Billboard Chart Archive
- Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs : Jul 25, 2009 | Billboard Chart Archive
- "American single certifications – Kid Cudi – Make Her Say". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH.