Make It Bun Dem
|"Make It Bun Dem"|
|Single by Skrillex and Damian "Jr. Gong" Marley|
|Released||May 1, 2012|
|Songwriter(s)||Skrillex, Damian Marley|
|Remix EP cover|
After Hours Remix EP
|Skrillex singles chronology|
|Damian "Jr. Gong" Marley singles chronology|
20 second sample from "Make it Bun Dem".
This section needs additional citations for verification. (December 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The song started out as an original, without lyrics, in early 2012. The instrumental had no name, and was only played live. Fans dubbed the song "Rudeboy Bass", as it used the sample "Rudeboy bass, mash up the place!" The song was later re-edited and vocals from Damian Marley's "Welcome to Jamrock" were added. Skrillex eventually sent the demo to Damian. Instead of releasing the song as a remix of "Welcome to Jamrock", Damian offered to record original vocals for the song, replacing the previous ones. This version of the song, with new, original vocals, was premiered at Surrender Night Club in Las Vegas, on January 21, 2012. Damian posted the finalized version of the unnamed song, finally confirmed as "Make It Bun Dem" on his SoundCloud page, on April 16, 2012, as a listen-only track. The release was postponed from an earlier date to May 1, 2012.
This video depicts a conflict between citizens losing their homes to eminent domain and the officer seeking to evict them to enrich a real estate developer.
The video begins with a Code Enforcement Officer knocking on the doors of people being evicted from their homes, and the victims and their families being pulled struggling from their homes. An elderly Native American man is shown waiting for his turn on the front porch, as a younger family member arrives home and goes into the backyard to perform a rain dance with two boys watching him in fascination. It begins to rain, an act of non-violent direct action that causes the development plans of the business man to be washed away. Later, the Native Americans conduct a smudging ritual in which the boy's guardian smears red paint on his face, and hands a roach (a headpiece for regalia) to him. He returns outside and a glowing golden eagle bursts from his chest followed by a trail of golden light whilst the guardian beats a drum in ritual. The officers accompany Code Enforcement to the house, but then refuse to aid him in breaking into the house and give him the finger, so the Code Enforcement Officer enters the backyard alone, and is met with the sight of the young Native American boy and the golden bird. The bird flies towards the man and the scene cuts off abruptly. The elder Native American is seen sitting in his living room, surrounded by three huskies.
This video was filmed in Lincoln Park, Michigan, with two local children acting as the children watching the young Native American boy (played by Zakiah Phillips) do his dance.
Use in media
"Make It Bun Dem" is used in the video game Far Cry 3. The track can be heard playing in a looped form during "Kick the Hornet's Nest", a mission where the player is required to destroy five marijuana fields by setting fire to them with a flamethrower. The song also appeared on an episode of The Magicians.
Make It Bun Dem After Hours EP
An EP with 6 remixes was released in 2012.
|Digital download |
|1.||"Make It Bun Dem"||3:33|
|2.||"Make It Bun Dem" (Culprate Remix)||3:54|
|3.||"Make It Bun Dem" (Brodinski Remix)||4:32|
|4.||"Make It Bun Dem" (French Fries Remix)||4:34|
|5.||"Make It Bun Dem" (David Heartbreak Remix)||3:30|
|6.||"Make It Bun Dem" (Flinch Remix)||3:56|
|7.||"Make It Bun Dem" (Alvin Risk Remix)||3:59|
|8.||"Make It Bun Dem" (Pegboard Nerds Remix)||4:51|
|United States (RIAA)||Platinum||1,000,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- Video on YouTube
- ""Jr.+Gong"+Marley&titel=Make+It+Bun+Dem&cat=s Australian-charts.com – Skrillex feat. Damian "Jr. Gong" Marley – Make It Bun Dem". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- ""Jr.+Gong"+Marley&titel=Make+It+Bun+Dem&cat=s Austriancharts.at – Skrillex feat. Damian "Jr. Gong" Marley – Make It Bun Dem" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- ""Jr.+Gong"+Marley&titel=Make+It+Bun+Dem&cat=s Ultratop.be – Skrillex feat. Damian "Jr. Gong" Marley – Make It Bun Dem" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- ""Jr.+Gong"+Marley&titel=Make+It+Bun+Dem&cat=s Lescharts.com – Skrillex feat. Damian "Jr. Gong" Marley – Make It Bun Dem" (in French). Les classement single.
- ""Jr.+Gong"+Marley&titel=Make+It+Bun+Dem&cat=s Charts.nz – Skrillex feat. Damian "Jr. Gong" Marley – Make It Bun Dem". Top 40 Singles.
- "ČNS IFPI" (in Slovak). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiálna. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 20138 into search.
- ""Jr.+Gong"+Marley&titel=Make+It+Bun+Dem&cat=s Swedishcharts.com – Skrillex feat. Damian "Jr. Gong" Marley – Make It Bun Dem". Singles Top 100.
- "Official Dance Singles Chart Top 40". Official Charts Company.
- "Skrillex Chart History (Bubbling Under Hot 100)". Billboard.
- Billboard Reggae Digital Songs week May 19, 2012 on Billboard.biz
- "Italian single certifications – Skrillex & Damian Jr. Gong Marley – Make It Bun Dem" (in Italian). Federazione Industria Musicale Italiana. Retrieved November 14, 2014.
- "American single certifications – Skrillex featuring Damian Marley – Make It Bun Dem". Recording Industry Association of America. May 24, 2012. Retrieved June 12, 2012. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH.