Make No Mistake, He's Mine
|"Make No Mistake, He's Mine"|
|Single by Kim Carnes and Barbra Streisand|
|from the album Emotion|
|Kim Carnes singles chronology|
|Barbra Streisand singles chronology|
"Make No Mistake, He's Mine" is a song written by Kim Carnes and recorded as a duet by Barbra Streisand and Carnes in 1984 and subsequently by Ronnie Milsap and Kenny Rogers under the title of "Make No Mistake, She's Mine". Both versions charted.
Carnes said that in the wake of Glee's version with a man and woman singing about a female lover, there were now "three different meanings of the song", regarding this malleability of the piece as "rewarding and gratifying".
Barbra Streisand and Kim Carnes recording
The song was recorded by Streisand and Carnes, co-produced (with Bill Cuomo) by Carnes, It was released on Streisand's 1984 album Emotion and released as a single in December 1984, it hit #8 on the Adult Contemporary chart and #51 on the Billboard Hot 100 in early 1985.
In 2002, the track would re-appear on Streisand's compilation Duets. It also surfaced as a solo recording by Carnes, as a bonus track on a CD reissue of Carnes' album Barking at Airplanes and as a track on Carnes' compilation album Gypsy Honeymoon (1993).
Billboard said Streisand was "wonderfully feisty" in this duet. Orange Coast Magazine said the song featured "brilliant vocal performances", and sounded as contemporary in 1993 as it did in 1984. New Straight Times thought the "lovely song" was a great companion piece to The Girl Is Mine, due to its theme of possessiveness between rivals.
|Canadian RPM Top Singles||89|
|Spain Top 40 Radio||38|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||92|
|US Billboard Hot 100||51|
|US Adult Contemporary (Billboard)||8|
|"Make No Mistake, She's Mine"|
|Single by Ronnie Milsap and Kenny Rogers|
|from the album Heart & Soul (Ronnie Milsap) and I Prefer the Moonlight (Kenny Rogers)|
|B-side||"You're My Love (Rogers)"|
|Producer(s)||Rob Galbraith, Kyle Lehning|
|Ronnie Milsap singles chronology|
Ronnie Milsap and Kenny Rogers recording
The song won a Grammy award for Best Country Collaboration with Vocals.
|U.S. Billboard Hot Country Singles||1|
|US Adult Contemporary (Billboard)||42|
|Canadian RPM Country Tracks||1|
In popular culture
- In 2013 Naya Rivera and Chord Overstreet covered this version of the song, in the fourth-season episode: "Diva", on the TV series, Glee.
- Leszczak, Bob (2016-11-15). Dynamic Duets: The Best Pop Collaborations from 1955 to 1999. Rowman & Littlefield. ISBN 9781442271500.
- Whitburn, Joel (2002). Top Adult Contemporary: 1961-2001. Record Research. p. 47.
- Crouse, Richard (2000-04-26). Big Bang, Baby: Rock Trivia. Dundurn. ISBN 9780888822192.
- Inc, Nielsen Business Media (2002-12-07). Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc.
- Communications, Emmis (1993-04-01). Orange Coast Magazine. Emmis Communications.
- "New Straits Times - Google News Archive Search". news.google.com. Retrieved 2016-09-05.
- "RPM Weekly Top Singles - Volume 41, No. 19 Jan 19, 1985". Archived from the original on March 3, 2016.
- Fernando Salaverri (September 2005). Sólo éxitos: año a año, 1959–2002 (1st ed.). Spain: Fundación Autor-SGAE. ISBN 84-8048-639-2.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved March 3, 2016.
- "Barbra Streisand Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved March 3, 2016.
- "Barbra Streisand Chart History (Adult Contemporary)". Billboard. Retrieved March 3, 2016.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). The Billboard Book Of Top 40 Country Hits: 1944-2006, Second edition. Record Research. p. 233.
- "Kenny Rogers Chart History (Adult Contemporary)". Billboard.