|Maken-Ki! Battling Venus!|
Cover of the first manga volume featuring Inaho Kushiya
|Genre||Action, Harem, Romantic Comedy|
|Written by||Hiromitsu Takeda|
|Published by||Fujimi Shobo|
|Magazine||Dragon Age Pure (former)
Monthly Dragon Age (current)
|Original run||April 20, 2007 – ongoing|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Kōichi Ōhata|
|Produced by||Takashi Imamoto
|Written by||Yōsuke Kuroda|
|Music by||Cher Watanabe|
|Original run||October 5, 2011 – December 21, 2011|
|Original video animation|
|Directed by||Hiraku Kaneko|
|Written by||Yousuke Kuroda|
|Music by||Cher Watanabe|
|Released||March 1, 2012 – September 20, 2013|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Hiraku Kaneko|
|Produced by||Takashi Imamoto
|Written by||Yousuke Kuroda|
|Music by||Cher Watanabe|
|Network||Tokyo MX, tvk, Sun TV, TVQ, CTC, TVS, Gifuhōsō, Mie TV, BS11, AT-X|
|Original run||January 16, 2014[a] – March 20, 2014|
Maken-ki! (マケン姫っ! Makenki!?) is a Japanese manga series by Hiromitsu Takeda. It was published by Fujimi Shobo's magazine Dragon Age Pure, and later Monthly Dragon Age, after the former magazine ceased publishing. It has been adapted into an anime series by AIC that aired on AT-X in the fall of 2011, and it is licensed in North America by Funimation as the title Maken-Ki! Battling Venus. Two OVA episodes animated by AIC and Xebec were released in 2012 and 2013, bundled with the 8th and 11th volumes of the manga respectively. A second season entitled Maken-Ki! Two (マケン姫っ！通 Makenki! Tsū?) was animated by Xebec and aired on January 2014.
- 1 Plot
- 2 Media
- 3 Chapters not yet in tankōbon format
- 4 Reception
- 5 Notes
- 6 References
- 7 External links
Takeru Ohyama has enrolled at Tenbi Academy, a high school that converted from all-girls to co-ed. Hoping to have a life full of ogling pretty girls, he reunites with childhood friend Haruko Amaya, who shows him around school. However, he learns that the school is for students who possess magical and spiritual energies called Elements and who wield crafted weapons known as Makens. The students engage in school sanctioned combat matches that showcase their powers. While his own ability and Maken is not apparent at first, Takeru soon finds himself surrounded by girls, including Inaho Kushiya, an attractive girl who says she's his fiancée, and Kodama Himegami, a popular blonde who says she wants to kill him. He joins the Security Committee (魔導検警機構 madō kenkei kikō?, lit. "anti-evil organization"), also known as Maken-ki, which supports the student council's operations.
Takeru Ōyama (大山 タケル Ōyama Takeru?) is the protagonist of Maken-ki! At the beginning of the series, he is a first-year high school student who enrolls at Tenbi Academy after having attended an all-boys middle school. His childhood friend, Haruko Amaya, who trained with him at his family's dojo attends the school as does Inaho Kushiya, who says that she is his fiancee. He ends up sharing his room with the two girls, as well as Kodama Himegami.[ch. 1]
Several years before the present, when Takeru was ten years old, his family dojo was challenged by Tesshin Kushiya. His mother, Atsuma, was killed by Tesshin before his eyes. Takeru has resented his father and uncle for not being around to protect them.[ch. 7] As a result, he tends to take the girl's side whenever a girl fights a guy. His abilities originally manifest under extreme stress as in the case where he protected Azuki.[ch. 3] When he defended Kodama, he used Blood Pointer,[ch. 5] which was later described as absorbing Element from the people around him through his mouth.[ch. 23] Following the battle with the Venus unit, he underwent extra training with Minori in order to try to control and to increase his powers.[ch. 28–29] Takeru later learned that he is blood related to Kodama's brother.[ch. 53]
Takeru was one of the three students that Gen's Element Detector, Keronbo, could not initially identify, but a month later, he was given his Maken, Overblow, which causes his target's Maken to overflow with Element and be rendered useless "like a car engine that blows out". However, if the opponent has an evolved Maken and can perfectly control or contain the surge, it can have the opposite effect and empower the opponent.[ch. 19]
Haruko Amaya (天谷 春恋 Amaya Haruko?) is a second-year student who is the student body vice-president, and the head of one of the dorms.[ch. 1] She is a childhood friend of Takeru Ōyama, whom she trained with at his family's dojo, and for whom she harbors romantic feelings but is unwilling to admit it.[ch. 1,12] After learning that Kodama and Inaho are moving into Takeru's room, she decides to move in as well. She is very jealous of the attention that Takeru gives the other girls and beats Takeru almost by reflex whenever he does anything even remotely perverted.[ch. 1] Haruko is well-endowed[ch. 4] and Kodama considers her to be the strongest maiden at Tenbi Academy.[ch. 5] Haruko's Maken, Murakumo (lit. Gathering Clouds), is a sword that is suspected to be one of the original Eight legendary Maken.[ch. 6] Murakumo cannot be unsheathed unless Haruko has strong feelings and fights an opponent with comparable power. Haruko unleashed a little of Murakumo's power when she fought a student named Amio.[ch. 6] In her battle with Demitra, she unsheathed it to reveal a blade surrounded with light. Haruko can use it to make incredibly large slices that destroy barriers, but is able to control it well enough that she can spare the life of someone in the sword's path.[ch. 20]
Kodama Himegami (姫神 コダマ Himegami Kodama?) is a petite blonde-haired second-year student who is part of the kenkeibi (later Maken-ki) club which officiates the duels at school.[ch. 1–4] Her ability is to command shikigami: doll-sized spirits who follow her around and call her "ojou-sama", and who possess powers such as picking up people, and shooting fire or lightning.[ch. 1,2,5] She regularly steps on the boys for their annoying and lecherous antics.[ch. 2,5] She initially sees Takeru as a potential enemy who stole her first kiss, but rooms with him after noticing that he bears a special mark on his chest, and has a scent is similar to that of her brother's.[ch. 1] She develops feelings for Takeru, although not like the other girls as when she was asked whom she likes, she responded that she loved someone long ago.[ch. 5][ch. 12] Her hobbies include shopping, especially for lingerie and rare stuffed animals.[ch. 5] When on night patrol, she was attracted to a rare King Penguin stuffed animal, and was captured by the Finnian twins of Venus.[ch. 14][note 1] She later shows a fear of ghosts and spirits outside her own magic;[ch. 30,31] in one instance she is frightened by a ghost story that Haruto Kirishima admits that he had embellished.[ch. 34]
Kodama later reveals that she has extraordinary abilities. In the battle with Venus, Kodama uses her Maken to summon larger spirits that are as powerful as the legendary Eight Maken,[ch. 23] and are comparable in strength to Minerva or Minori.[ch. 24] The Kamigari are highly interested in her as a key to unleashing the power in Amanohara. The Venus unit kidnaps her, and later on, Ouken has the Kamigari try to capture her on the summer training island. It is revealed that Kodama is the daughter of Yatsune, the former Yamata no Orochi,[ch. 49][ch. 49,50] and that her servants are actually Yatsune's incarnations; each of which had been able to manifest one of the original Eight Maken. Kodama inherited her mother's powers but was sealed away on top on Mount Amanohara.[ch. 51–53]. Many years later, after her seal was weakened by Minori, Kodama used her element to manifest an incarnation of herself.[ch. 53] She later realizes that Takeru Ōyama is a descendant of her brother.[ch. 53]
Inaho Kushiya (櫛八 イナホ Kushiya Inaho?) is the self-proclaimed fiancée of Takeru Ōyama.[ch. 1] She feels strongly for Takeru, and although he does not remember her much, she has decided to wait until he fully does.[ch. 12] She holds Takeru's father in high regard. Upon revealing this, Takeru gets upset and ignores her, which causes her to cry. Takeru later apologizes to her after Kengo confronts him.[ch. 7] However, in the anime, she cries after Takeru tells her that he cannot remember a childhood promise. At first, Inaho was one of the three students that the Element detector, Keronbo, could not measure. However, she manifests her Maken when she saves Takeru and a cat from a falling boulder. She names the cat Monji and usually wears it on her head. Her Maken, Kamudo, is a gauntlet that greatly increases her strength and speed.[ch. 7] She is the star of the bonus four panel series of Maken-Ki comics where she is presented in super deformed mode. She is voiced by Iori Nomizu in the anime series, and English dubbed by Tia Ballard.
- Kengo Usui (碓 健吾 Usui Kengo?) is a first year student and one of Takeru's friends that are guys. They first meet when they get excused from class in order to peek at the girls during their physicals.[ch. 2] He joins the Maken-ki with Takeru and Inaho.[ch. 4] He has a crush on Kodama, and gets jealous when she kissed Takeru.[ch. 5] Although he enjoys girls, Kengo shows concern for Takeru and confronts him about being a hypocrite when Takeru states that he wants to protect girls but is apathetic towards Inaho and made her cry.[ch. 7] His Maken lets him exchange himself or other people with an item in their place.[ch. 23] He is voiced by Satoshi Tsuruoka, and English dubbed by Scott Freeman.
- Azuki Shinatsu (志那都 アズキ Shinatu Azuki?) is a hot-tempered second year student who typically sports a small bandage on her nose.[ch. 1] She is a madou shikkobu member of Maken-ki. After Takeru Ōyama's interference in Azuki's duel with Kai Kuragasa causes conflict between them,[ch. 3][note 2] both eventually become friends when Takeru forgives Syria Ootsuka.[ch. 19] She works at a maid cafe named Macaroon.[ch. 5] Her Maken, Hawk, is a mechanized boot that boosts her strength, agility and speed. As a result, she usually fights using her legs.[ch. 1,3] Azuki is voiced by Misuzu Togashi, and English dubbed by Morgan Garrett.
- Uruchi Minaya (水屋 うるち Minaya Uruchi?) is a madou shikkobu member of Maken-ki. She is obsessed with Haruko, and despises Takeru because he spends so much time with her. When she was younger, she had made a lunch, but some bullies harassed her; she was later rescued by Haruko who offered some of her own. After another student, controlled by the Kamigari, fights her and Takeru, she is rescued again by Haruko.[ch. 6] She is voiced by Shizuka Furuya, and is English dubbed by Cherami Leigh.
- Furan Takaki (高貴 楓蘭 Takaki Furan?) is the student body president at Tenbi. She wears glasses and her hair is braided. She is shy around boys and even states that she dislikes men.[ch. 37] In the anime, she is very attracted to Akaya from Venus, whom she falls for at their first meeting because, unlike the peeping guys, he appears like a gentleman. Despite her shyness, Furan is very strict when it comes to Maken-ki's duties that need to be carried out. The anime features a recurring gag where the other female Maken-ki members expose Furan's panties in front of the guys to reveal various animal prints such as a bear, cat, and frog; this is an extension from a manga scene during the female bonding time at the summer cabin.[ch. 37] Ouken reveals that her fear of men is because, as an advanced talent, she was chosen by Kamigari to be one of his mistresses, and she was ravished in place of Yuka. Furan's maken, Habaya, is a bow that fires homing light arrows.[ch. 48] Furan is voiced by Aya Gōda, and she is English dubbed by Brittney Karbowski.
- Yuka Amado (雨渡 穣華 Amado Yūka?) is the student body treasurer. She is a close friend of Furan, whom she likes to tease. Yuka appears to be carefree most of the time. However, she is very cunning and encourages Maken-ki activities that involve some kind of other work that needs to be done. For instance, she sets up a competition between Maken-ki and Venus where the players use broom sticks to push a bar of soap around an empty pool.[ch. 10] She has a friendly personality like her sister Tomiko, who is Takeru's homeroom teacher; they sometimes coordinate activities.[ch. 30] She later reveals that for many generations, the Amado family has been serving the Rokujous as their oniwaban (ninja).[ch. 33] She is voiced by Natsumi Takamori, and English dubbed by Jamie Marchi.
- Kimi Satō (砂藤 季美 Satō Kimi?) is the student body secretary. Her Maken, Comic Star, is the result of her love of manga, as she can draw something and bring it to reality. She is close friends with Chacha, and they often work together.[ch. 4] She is voiced by Misato, and English dubbed by Alexis Tipton.
- Chacha Akaza (藜 チャチャ Akaza Chacha?) is a kenkeibu member of Maken-ki; she has a dark complexion. Her Maken, Compressor, allows her to change the shape and density of objects. She can extend a small broken plank into an enormous board.[ch. 4] She is voiced by Saeko Zōgō, and English dubbed by Anita Neukar.
- Kai Kuragasa (栗傘 塊 Kuragasa Kai?) is a first-year student who duels Azuki early on in the series. He wagers that if he wins he will date her. His Maken allows him to harden part of his body.[ch. 3] Although he loses the fight because of Takeru's interference, he continues to pursue Azuki from afar, including visiting her at the cafe where she works.[ch. 26] He is voiced by Go Inoue, and English dubbed by Andrew T. Chandler.
- Minori Rokujou (六条 実 Rokujō Minori?) is the principal and physical education teacher at Tenbi Academy.[ch. 1,2] She permits Inaho, Kodama and Haruko to live in Takeru’s dorm room.[ch. 1] She brandishes incredible power and control over Element, as she can break through amazingly powerful barriers with her bare hands, thanks to nothing more than, in her own words, her "fighting spirit".[ch. 24,32] She ranks herself on the same level as Ouken Yamato.[ch. 35] She was in the Maken-ki student group before the school was converted to an all-girls academy.[ch. 8,11] Her Maken, Dragon Ace, is a pair of gauntlets that allow her to create heat sources and ignite them into fire-based attacks.[ch. 42,43] Minori is voiced by Mina and English dubbed by Caitlin Glass.
- Gen Tagayashi (耕志 玄 Tagayashi Gen?) is the creator of the Makens in the school. He was in the Maken-ki student group before it was converted to an all-girls academy. He can create replica maken which is done for each student at the academy. He is able to do this through his "dark element" which is later explained to be the Black element, which is created by having all four of the main elements in his body instead of the usual major and minor elements. He is one of five people known to have this ability.[ch. 50] Gen is voiced by Atsushi Imaruoka, and English dubbed by Robert McCollum.
- Aki Nijou (二条 秋 Nijō Aki?) is the school nurse[ch. 2] and the staff adviser for the Maken-ki club.[ch. 4] She and Minori were Maken-ki members.[ch. 8,11] She has a large chest and curvaceous body that has drawn much attention from the boys and envy from the girls.[ch. 2,4,10] She has the largest breasts in the series where a flashback in Episode 5 of Season 2 shows that they became really big when she was only 12. Despite her strange and immodest choices of clothing[ch. 4,28,29,32] and healing practices,[ch. 16] she is soft-spoken and acts shy at times.[ch. 10,13,14,28] Minori later tells the boys that Aki is still a virgin.[ch. 38] She knows Akaya from when they were schoolmates, and senses when he has been lying.[ch. 16,24] In addition to her healing abilities, she has a Maken, Valhelm, but it is more a diagnostic tool that allows her to determine what parts of a person are injured the most.[ch. 46] In the anime, she has long, dark blue hair, and her appearance during the closing credits makes Haruko jealous. She is voiced by Hitomi Harada, and English dubbed by Heather Walker.
- Tomika Amado (雨渡 豊華 Amado Tomika?) is Takeru's homeroom teacher.[ch. 2] She also was in the Maken-ki group before it had to become an all-girls academy.[ch. 2] Minori sometimes acts as her classroom assistant. She has a pleasant personality like her younger sister Yuka,[ch. 4] although Minori thinks she has a sadistic side.[ch. 37.5] Tomika is voiced by Yuki Matsuoka, and English dubbed by Shelley Calene-Black.
Venus is a mercenary unit that joins Tenbi Academy with the mission to search for the person who is trying to revive Yamata no Orochi. It is headed by Akaya Kodai, a former member of Maken-ki, and consists mainly of high school aged girls.[ch. 8,9] It is later revealed that Venus has ties to the Kamigari organization, and thus serve as the antagonists for a storyline where they plant barrier stones throughout Tenbi, capture Kodama under the pretense that she trespassed into the Amanohara, and challenge Maken-ki to rescue her.[ch. 14,15] The Venus unit uses Jingu, which are equipment used by the gods of their Western homelands; they are comparable to the Maken weapons used by the gods of the East.[ch. 16]
- Akaya Kodai (古大 赤耶 Kodai Akaya?) is the Commander of Venus, and the sole male member.[ch. 8] He is a former member of the Maken-ki student group, before it became an all-girls academy.[ch. 8] While Venus stays at Tenbi, Akaya challenges Takeru's viewpoint of wanting to protect all girls when he asks Takeru what he would do if a girl were to do bad things to another person.[ch. 12] In a fight against Takeru, Akaya uses a Maken revolver named Swindle, where each bullet has a different ability including illusion, vision, and hypnosis, and dummy. Years before the series' present, Akaya leads the group of Tenbi students to assault the female student years back, which results in the school's changing to all-girls, and also kills Takeru's mother; he reveals his past to have Takeru unleash his ultimate powers.[ch. 23] He later says that the fight was mainly to test Takeru's strength to report it to the Kamigami.[ch. 24] He appears in a disciplinary trial in front of Ouken, in which the latter punishes and brutalizes him, leaving in a state of stupor,[ch. 30] however, it is later revealed he used his dummy bullet. Akaya intends to unmask the spirit that has taken over Ouken's body.[ch. 33] Akaya is voiced by Makoto Yasumura, and his English dub voiced is provided by Eric Vale.
- Demitra Midia (デミトラ ミディア Demitora Midia?) is the Vice-Commander of Venus. Her Jingu is a trident, which enhances her water-based abilities. She can create and control water, including spinning it so it destroys objects, hardening droplets to act like bullets, building a wall of water, and even drawing out moisture from a person.[ch. 19] Yan Min regards her as a very strong fighter.[ch. 19] She rarely smiles except at those whose power she acknowledges, such as Minerva.[ch. ??] Seven years before the start of the series, she is recruited by Akaya to join Venus after having grown up in a Southern European orphanage.[ch. 21] Demitra is voiced by Rie Tanaka, and is English dubbed by Martha Harms.
- Syria Ootsuka (シリア 大塚 Syria Ōtsuka?) is a Defense Member of Venus, and an idol celebrity from America.[ch. 8,9] While at Tenbi, she flirts openly with Takeru, and makes the other girls jealous.[ch. 9] When she fights Inaho, she uses professional wrestler moves.[ch. 18] Her Jingu, Inverse, allows her to reverse situations at will.[ch. 16] For instance, if someone rushes her, she can fling her away; when Takeru rushes, she instead nullifies his will to fight.[ch. 18] However, when Takeru uses his Overblow ability, Syria loses her Inverse power, and is revealed to be an okama guy. Despite the defeat Syria still pursues Takeru and gives him a kiss.[ch. 19][note 3] Syria is voiced by Mariya Ise, and is English dubbed by Jad Saxton.
- Yang Ming (ヤン・ミン Yan Min?) is the Special Attack Member of Venus; she dresses in Chinese clothes.[ch. 8] Her Jingu is Kinben, which takes the form of a two-tailed whip. She can fuse Kinben into her body and use Reirii, which increases her speed and reduces her reaction time. Her abilities are lightning based; she can perform Thunder Fist (Reichin), which turns her fists into lightning and increases her power.[ch. 17] Yang Ming is voiced by Satomi Akesaka in the Japanese dub, and Terri Doty in the English dub.
- Martha Minerva (ミネルバ マーサ Mineruba Māsa?) is a Defense Member of Venus; she arrives after the other members have already settled in at Tenbi.[ch. 10,11] She initially appears as a carefree airhead who likes to keep her eyes closed in order to look more mature.[ch. 11] Her Jingu, Aegis, allows her to open gates to other dimensions. She can make limbs disappear from and reappear in the current dimension so as to stop physical attacks. When she opens her eyes, she emits an inexhaustible stream of Element that engulfs everyone and creates a territory where she can further use powers such as selectively making the clothing of the girls disappear. She thus proclaims herself the Master of Lingerie.[ch. 22] Minori ranks Minerva the highest of the ability users.[ch. 35] She is voiced by Rina Sato in the Japanese version, and by Leah Clark in the English dub.
- Lilou Finnian (リール フィニアン Rīru Finian?) and Aililou Finnian (アイリル フィニアン Airiru Finian?) are a pair of twins who are the Special Investigators in Venus; one has light hair while the other one has dark hair. The Tenbi students refer to them as dolls.[ch. 9] Their combined ability, Time/Space, allows them to create barriers in which to imprison targets, prevent outsiders from intruding, or contain events within a space.[ch. 14,22,24] After the last barrier is lifted, the damage to people within the space can be undone; this includes wounds inflicted.[ch. 24] Minori ranks the twins as among the most powerful ability users.[ch. 35] They are both voiced by Rina Hidaka in the Japanese dub, and by Michelle Hong in the English dub.
The Kamigari are a secret organization that works with the government by using the Elements and Maken.[ch. 8] They originally gathered young people who possess special abilities to their organization, usually against their will. Those who opposed had their memories wiped.[ch. 11] This continued until the government created Tenbi Academy to train the students.[ch. 11] As a result, they partner with Tenbi in selecting students to join their organization.[ch. 21] After Venus leaves Tenbi, they continue their experiments by possessing people and growing monsters to attack the Maken-ki members during their summer training activities.[ch. 26–31] Ouken later decides to go after unlocking the secrets of Amanohara.
- Ouken Yamato (大和 王建 Yamato Ōken?) is the leader of the Kamigari. One of his abilities is Soul Collector, which allows him to manipulate the memories of people; he did this on Akaya to make him think that he had assaulted a girl during the early years of Tenbi Academy.[ch. 25] His Soul Collector can replenish Element by eating the souls from people.[ch. 42] He is shown to have a split personality: his original one is calm and composed but has been suppressed for ten years; the newer personality is a power-hungry maniac that is hellbent on releasing the seal on Amanohara to unlock its secrets. During Akaya Kodai's disciplinary trial, the calm Ouken asks Akaya to stop the evil that has taken over him, after which he apparently dies and the power-hungry Ouken takes over.[ch. 30] Eventually, after being heavily wounded by Takeru Ōyama, Ouken is killed by Kodama Himegami.[ch. 53]
- Otohime "The Manipulator" Yamato (大和 乙姫 Yamato Otohime?)[ch. 41] is Ouken's granddaughter and a first-year student at Tenbi Academy. Her Doll House ability allows her to fashion a voodoo doll to manipulate her opponent.[ch. 11] Because of her petite appearance, she is mistaken for being younger than her high school age by Haruko.[ch. 26] She performs experiments where she manipulates some creatures and people with a chemical that is similar to Ouken's Soul Collector ability.[ch. 29] She is one of the four Shishigami who serves Ouken.[ch. 41] She is later revealed to be one of the clones from Takeru Yamato's DNA.[ch. 54,55] Otohime is voiced by Yoshino Nanjo, and English dubbed by Carrie Savage.
- Gouken Yamato (大和 剛建 Yamato Gōken?) is Otohime's twin brother.[ch. 11] His Cancel ability nullfies Element attacks.[ch. 44] As one of the clones developed by Takeru Yamato, he becomes the vessel for Takeru after Ouken's death.[ch. 54,55] He is voiced by Yuta Suzuki, and English dubbed by Todd Haberkorn.
- Kikyo Yamato (大和 桔梗 Yamato Kikyō?) is Otohime's sister. She is voiced by Shizuka Ito, and is English dubbed by Anastasia Munoz.
- Miyabi "The Temptress" Ootori (大鳥 雅 Ōtori Miyabi?)[ch. 42] is Ouken's private secretary and a member of the Shishigami.[ch. 21] Her ability allows her to "eat" someone and send them to another dimension. Her Maken, Missing Lip, originates from her shoe.[ch. 42]
- Leo Hirata (Hirata Leo) is a Tenbi alumnus who works for the Kamigari. His abilities are in electricity; he calls himself Lightning Panther, but Minori, his former schoolmate, calls him Hopeless Leo. He first meets the Maken-ki gang at the island where they are doing summer training.[ch. 29]
- Hakuto "The Phantom" Kirishima is one of the four Shishigami who serve directly under Ouken.[ch. 41] He initially poses as a botanist when the Maken-ki gang look for a flower to help Haruko recover.[ch. 34] He later reveals himself to be a monster who took a drug that had Ouken's Element.[ch. 44]
- Tesshin Kushiya (櫛八 鉄心 Kushiya Tesshin?), is a member of the Shishigami, who is able to defeat Maken users without having to use a Maken or any drug enhancements. His power and ability is comparable to Ouken, and he can fight Maken users backhandedly.[ch. 44] Ten years before the start of the series, he kills Takeru's mother, Atsuma, although he insists that she was already dying.[ch. 44] His special ability is Blood Pointer, although he considers it an imitation to the ability he sees in Atsuma and consequently Takeru.[ch. 45] As the adoptive father of Inaho, he puts her through harsh training so she will not abandon him, but is imprisoned by Kamigari for kidnapping and child abuse. Ouken later frees him on the condition that he fights Ouken's rival, Atsuma. After defeating her, Tesshin leaves Inaho in her family's care in order to do more training.[ch. 46]
- Takeru Yamato (大和 タケル Yamato Takeru?) is the ancestor of Ouken Yamato, and younger brother of Kodama Himegami's father. He acts as the underlying antagonist within Kamigari. His original name is Mousu no Mikoto, the second prince of the Yamato court.[ch. 50,51] He originally hunts his brother and family, but is defeated by Kodama's brother Yabiko. However, he is able to maintain his existence by possessing people. He seals his soul in a jar, which is unearthed by Ouken, whom he possesses. He develops a secret lab of clones that would serve as a proper vessel for his soul; two of the chosen vessels are Otohime and Gouken.[ch. 54,55]
|1||June 9, 2008||ISBN 978-4-04-712553-7|
|Teenager Takeru Ohyama attends an all-boys middle school. In high school, he enters Tenbi Academy with his childhood friend Haruko Amaya. Kodama Himegami watches from atop a tree branch, but when Takeru calls her out, she falls down and inadvertently kisses him. At the welcoming ceremony, Takeru witnesses a duel between two girls, and learns that this will be part of their regular school life. He is chosen to duel Kodama, but the fight is interrupted by Inaho Kushiya, who proclaims herself his fiancee. Afterwards, principal Minori Rokujou advises Inaho, Kodama and consequently Haruko, to board with Takeru. On the day of his examination, Takeru's Element cannot be determined. Haruko recruits Takeru to join the kenkeibu, a student run organization that to ensure the fairness of duels and to protect the duelers. He discovers that the group is being merged with another enforcement group into the madō kenkei kikō or "maken-ki". They have a gathering at a co-ed hot springs, but a bear interrupts the festivities, and some of the members demonstrate their powers to fend it off. Later, Kodama takes Takeru on a date; they are followed by Haruko, Inaho and Takeru's friend Kengo Usui. Takeru is unable to remember anything after saving Kodama from an encounter with a stranger from Kamigari, and she kisses him.|
|2||December 9, 2008||ISBN 978-4-04-712582-7|
|Takeru is assigned by student body president Furan Takaki to investigate a criminal who makes victims unconscious. Takeru, along with fellow student Uruchi Minaya, encounter the criminal, who reveals herself to be Kumi Amio. Using her maken, Kumi summons a spider and traps Takeru and Uruchi in its web. Haruko rescues the two and uses her maken, Murakumo, to knock Amio out. The rainy season's arrival causes Inaho to remember flashbacks of when she first met Takeru eight years earlier. She discovers a cat, and names it Monji. When Inaho tells her about Takeru's father, Takeru leaves her, causing her to become depressed, Kengo confronts him in frustration. Takeru decides to apologize to her alone when he is informed that the cat has gone missing. He is able to save the cat just as Inaho saves him, and the two reconcile. Meanwhile, the Mercenary Unit Venus, a group of women led by a man named Akaya Kodai, arrives. Akaya reveals that Kamigari is an organization using Maken and Element to support the country from the shadows and was founded after some people refused to be ruled by the gods. Venus challenges Tenbi to a fight, but decide to fight in a field hockey match which ends in a draw. Later, the men at Tenbi successfully petitions to use the pool with the women to engage in a duel, in which the competitors have to take the headbands to win. However, when Venus member Syria Ootsuka takes Takeru and Kengo's headbands, the game ends in a draw once again.|
|3||September 9, 2009||ISBN 978-4-04-712626-8|
|Takeru and Kengo encounter Minerva Martha, a member of Venus, and are introduced to some of the Venus members. Takeru serves as an official for a match between Otohime Yamato and Sho Tachinami. However, Otohime uses his Doll House technique and injures Takeru. Due to failing his Element exams, the kenkeibu is forced to help Takeru study for the make up exam or they will be removed if they get a score below 60. Minerva gathers intelligence for Kamigari, revealing the extent of Kodama and Takeru's powers. Meanwhile, Akaya reveals that Kodama holds a clue to what Kamigari's leader Ouken Yamato desires, and is ordered to capture Kodama. Later, a Venus member named Yang Ming injures Kai Kuragusa, a Tenbi student, and Akaya forces Takeru and the others to guard Tenbi and send the other students home. Inside the academy, Kodama is frightened when she sees ghosts and is captured. Akaya announces that Kodama will be transported to the Kamigari headquarters in an hour. The group discovers that Venus placed barriers around the academy. Inaho finds a building where they can go up and save Kodama. With encouragement from fellow student Azuki Shinatsu, Takeru and the others infiltrate the building but are cornered by Yan Min and Syria. Haruko goes on ahead while Azuki fights Ming. Using her Maken Hawk, Azuki transforms her shoe into a mechanized boot.|
|4||April 9, 2010||ISBN 978-4-04-712660-2|
|As Aki Hinata is healing Kai, Kodama discovers that Kamigari's leader Ouken Yamato is seeking more power by releasing it within Tenbi. Though Ming is overpowered by Azuki's Maken, she is able to use her own Maken, Kinben, and fights with Azuki. Meanwhile, as Haruko tries to rescue Kodama and is cornered by Venus' vice commander Demitra Midia on the third floor, Takeru and Inaho confront Syria. When Ming gains the upper hand on Azuki, Takeru tries to rescue her but is furiously attacked by Ming. Azuki releases Takeru from Ming's grasps and injures her leg with a piano string. Takeru decides to rescue Kodama by himself just as Azuki is able to defeat Ming. Inaho continues to fight Syria, but is beaten up in the process and Takeru rescues her. Using her inversion ability, Syria reverts Takeru's determination and beats him up. Inaho attacks Syria with her Kamudo, rendering her unconscious. Takeru snaps and uses his Maken, Overblow, to expose Syria as a man and defeats him. The two reconcile with each other as Takeru says that he is Syria's friend. While dueling with Haruko, Demitra uses her trident to destroy Haruko's shinai and suck the water out of her before Haruko uses her Maken Murakumo to continue the fight. Eventually, Haruko uses Murakumo to destroy the academy's barriers and defeat Demitra by showing her mercy. Meanwhile, after meeting with Ouken and his secretary Miyabi Ootori, Minori receives a call from Uruchi, Aki and Kengo that they are going to find Takeru and the others. Realizing that she has been tricked, Minori and the others arrive at Tenbi. With the impending approach of the other students, Akaya dispatches Martha Minerva to fight them.|
|5||October 9, 2010||ISBN 978-4-04-712689-3|
|6||April 9, 2011||ISBN 978-4-04-712720-3|
|7||October 8, 2011||ISBN 978-4-04-712752-4|
|8||March 9, 2012||ISBN 978-4-04-712781-4|
|9||September 8, 2012||ISBN 978-4-04-712827-9|
|10||March 9, 2013||ISBN 978-4-04-712860-6|
|11||October 9, 2013||ISBN 978-4-04-712905-4 |
|12||March 9, 2014||ISBN 978-4-04-070050-2 |
|13||October 9, 2014||ISBN 978-4-04-070339-8 |
|14||March 9, 2015||ISBN 978-4-04-070353-4 |
Chapters not yet in tankōbon format
These chapters have yet to be published in a tankōbon volume.
An anime adaptation was announced on Monthly Dragon Age 's official website in December 2010. In April 2011, Monthly Dragon Age confirmed that the anime series would air on television. Produced by AIC under the direction of Kōichi Ōhata with Yōsuke Kuroda as script supervisor and music by Cher Watanabe, the anime series began its first broadcast run on October 5, 2011. The anime series has been licensed by Funimation Entertainment in North America. A cast announcement was made on August 30, 2013, and the complete first season was released on November 12. The first season adapts the first four volumes of the manga, while the second season features completely original, self-contained story arcs.
|No. in series||No. in season||Title||Original airdate|
|1||1||"The Day We Swore to Heaven"
"Ten o chiginda hi" (天を契んだ日)
|October 5, 2011|
|Haruko Amaya accompanies childhood friend Takeru Ohyama to his first day at Tenbi Academy. After she excuses herself to prepare for the induction ceremony, Takeru wanders around to take in the view, and witnesses a curious confrontation between two female students before having a run-in with Kodama Himegami. At the ceremony, Takeru learns that fighting is a way of life for the students. Kodama challenges Takeru, but their match is interrupted by Inaho Kushiya who claims to be Takeru's fiancée. Takeru is placed in the dorm where he ends up sharing his room with Haruko, Kodama and Inaho.|
|2||2||"Girls are Amazing"
"Onnanoko wa Sugoin desu" (女の子はすごいんです)
|October 12, 2011|
|Takeru walks in on Kodama changing and gets an eyeful. As a result, the four roommates are nearly late for school, earning Haruko a warning from student council president Furan Takaki. The day starts with physical exams, so Takeru and Kengo Usui sneak out to peep on the girls. Kodama catches them but does not kill them. When Takeru is examined his element cannot be determined, leaving him without a maken and defenseless in case of a duel, but Inaho vows to protect him. Takeru wants to join the photography club, but Haruko forbids it, telling him instead to consider the kenkeibu (検警部?, investigation/inspection club).|
|3||3||"Welcome to Maken-ki"
"MAKENKI e Yōkoso" (マケンキへようこそ)
|October 19, 2011|
|This time Takeru walks in on Haruko. To mollify her, he asks for an explanation of the kenkeibu, which turns out to be Haruko's part of the student-run madō kenkei kikō (魔導検警機構?, "Anti-Evil Organization"), or maken-ki for short. After learning that its mission is to ensure the fairness of duels and to protect the duelers, Takeru commits to joining it, as do Kengo and Inaho, albeit each for reasons of their own. The new-member welcoming party is held at an onsen, but since it is co-ed, or kon'yoku (混浴?, mixed-bathing), everyone wears a swimsuit (this does not stop Takeru and Kengo from ogling their cohorts). The intrusion of a bear provides the chance for everyone to show off their abilities and demonstrate the spirit of maken-ki.|
|4||4||"The Enemy Is at Tenbi"
"Teki wa Tenbi ni Ari" (敵は天日にあり)
|October 26, 2011|
|In order to investigate the mark she spotted on his chest when they first met, Kodama interrupts Takeru's massage to "ask" him out on a date. They shop at the mall, visit a maid cafe, and sit by the water, all the while tailed by Haruko, Inaho, and even Kengo. Takeru saves Kodama when a mysterious stranger from Kamigari (上苅?) attacks, but when he remembers nothing afterward, Kodama kisses him, much to the consternation of her fan club and tail.|
|5||5||"The Strongest Girl in Tenbi"
"Tenbi Saikyō no Onna" (天日最強の女)
|November 2, 2011|
|Haruko is annoyed with Takeru: his pratfalls are just too convenient, so he can make his own lunch from now on. Meanwhile, someone is attacking students on the school grounds. Takeru and fellow kenkeibuin Uruchi Minaya are assigned to investigate, but are caught in the spider's web. Haruko comes to their rescue, proving once again that she is Tenbi's strongest.|
|6||6||"Like Rain on a Sunny Day"
"Tenbi ni Ame no Kudaru Gotoku" (天日に雨の降るごとく)
|November 9, 2011|
|The return of the rainy season causes Inaho to experience flashbacks to the time when she met Takeru eight years earlier. She wants him to remember it too, but he is oblivious. Despondent, she wanders off in the rain where she discovers a cat that she names Monji (文字?) for the cross on his head. Monji runs off and is saved from rockfall by Takeru, who is searching for Inaho, who saves him in turn. Unable to remember his promise, but he unwittingly repeats it while apologizing, so Inaho is satisfied.|
|7||7||"The Goddesses Who Came Down to Tenbi"
"Tenbi no Orita Megamitachi" (天日に降りた女神たち)
|November 16, 2011|
|Takeru's long awaited maken is nearly forgotten as Venus arrives and immediately starts to rub fur the wrong way. A grudge match is set: three-on-three volleyball, but things start to get out of hand.|
|8||8||"Syria will Give You Everything"
"Shiria no Subete o Agechaimasu" (シリアの全てをあげちゃいマス)
|November 23, 2011|
|The teen idol has taken a liking to Takeru, and Team Venus is going to support her all the way. That means taking out the competition, namely Haruko, Kodama and Inaho. In so doing, they let slip their affiliation with Kamigari as well as their unique interpretation of S&M.|
"Arashi o Yobu Suijōbasen" (嵐を呼ぶ水上騎馬戦)
|November 30, 2011|
|The boys are upset that, at the girls' request, swimming classes are to not be co-ed. In keeping with Tenbi tradition, they propose to resolve the issue with a water cavalry battle. The girls agree, even though it means appearing in their swimsuits for the competition itself. No one seems to hold it against him when Takeru cheats, but with the arrival of Minerva Martha, the final member of Venus, he has no chance to enjoy his victory.|
|10||10||"The Girls of Light and Shadow"
"Hikari to Kage no Shōjo" (光と影の乙女)
|December 7, 2011|
|While lounging in the shade, Takeru finds Minerva. He and Kengo give chase, but stumble instead into a fight. Takeru officiates the duel, but finds his position on the line after clumsily interfering when he fears for the student's safety (a failing grade on his maken practicum doesn't help his case). Minerva, who broke up the fight, proposes an all-night cram session with Takeru and his roommates, which she uses to gather intelligence for Kamigari, revealing for the first time the extent of Kodama's power as well as something of Takeru's.|
|11||11||"Macaron Limited-Time-Only Service Day"
"Macaron Gentai Service Day" (まかろん限定サービスデー)
|December 14, 2011|
|To raise money for summer training camp, the keikenbu members all sign up to work a special event at the maid cafe. The event is very popular and everyone gets a little hyper. An out-of-control practical joke sends an embarrassed Haruko running out into the street where she is vulnerable to attack, as Kamigari continues to test Takeru.|
|12||12||"Protectors of Paradise"
"Rakuen o Mamorumono" (楽園を守るもの)
|December 21, 2011|
|Haruko is kidnapped, and Takeru goes to save her, but gets lured into a trap. Things are looking grim when Venus arrives.|
Season 1 specials
Each of the six volumes of the Maken-Ki! Blu-rays (released Dec 21, 2011 to May 25, 2012) carried a 10 minute long short anime "Doki Doki! Maken-ki! Himitsu no Kunren". Secret training with the main characters were animated.
OVA episodes bundled with the 8th (February 29, 2012) and 11th (September 25, 2013) volumes of the manga. Referred to by several titles:
|No. in series||No. in season||Title||Original airdate|
|13||OVA1||"It's Summer! It's Swimsuits! It's Training Camp!"
"Natsu Da! Mizugi Da! Gasshuku Da!"
|February 29, 2012|
|Takeru and the girls visit the beach.|
|13b||OVA2||"Takeru Nyotaika!? Minami no Shima de Supo~n?" (タケル女体化!? 南の島ですぽ～ん？)||September 30, 2013|
|Takeru turns into a girl.|
|No. in series||No. in season||Title||Original airdate[a]|
|14[note 4]||1||"Magical Security Organization"
"Madō Kenkei Kikō" (魔導検警機構)
|January 16, 2014|
|There is a lingerie thief in Tenbi Academy and Maken-ki are responsible for catching them. The thief proves to be highly elusive and difficult to track at the very least, with more girls falling victim to their perverted antics. After multiple failed attempts from the girls to do surveillance of the bathrooms, Takeru deduces that the lingerie thief is stealing bras in ascending order of cup size. When the girls use Takeru's theory to devise that the next victim is either Chacha or Haruko, they plant them in a girls' changing room as a trap and assign members to watch the exits. Though Kengo succumbs to the temptation of an adult's magazine as a distraction and the thief impersonates him to get inside, Takeru defeats the perverted thief in order to save the two. The thief is then apprehended after being revealed.|
|15||2||"I Love Takeru-kun!"
"Takeru Kimigasuki!" (タケル君が好き☆)
|January 23, 2014|
|When a Maken-user burglar escapes from the Maken-ki, they also use their Maken to steal Haruko's memories along with her Maken and Element. With the rest of Maken-ki out retrieving her memories, an amnesiac Haruko openly professes her love for Takeru which causes friction with Inaho until they compromise. Takeru shows her an album of their youth in a failed attempt to reverse her memory loss. At night in his balcony, the amnesiac Haruko tells him that her normal self loved him but lacked the courage to confess. She then admits to falling in love with him twice. At school the next day, Haruko transfers years from the her class to Takeru's, using her amnesia as an excuse to get closer to him. When a large explosion happens in the city, Azuki easily tracks down the burglar to retrieve Haruko's Maken and disarms her, allowing Yuka to force the burglar to surrender Haruko's memories. When her memories return, Haruko forcibly rejects her own confession to Takeru.|
"Nyaken Himetsu?" (ニャケン姫っ？)
|January 30, 2014|
|While the Maken-ki is trying to complete a large backlog of paperwork, Monji inexplicably uses an Element to turn all the girls of Maken-ki including Aki into tailed cat people with cat ears leaving Takeru and Kengo to find a way to turn them back to normal. The next day, Takeru and Kengo finds the girls in heat due to entering the mating season for cats with Haruko, Kodama and Inaho trying to mate with Takeru. When they persist, the extent of their behaviour forces him to snap them out of it. As Takeru and Inaho goes off to find a missing Monji, Haruko and Kodama try to stop the other girls and reign in their catlike antics. Inaho searches for Monji in the mountains and finds him in the same valley they met at. With her cat abilities, she apologises to Monji and the all the girls turn back to normal. However, the backlog of paperwork increases due to the incident to their dismay.|
|17||4||"Man ♥ Cos"
"Man (Hāto) Kosu" (まん（ハート）コス)
|February 6, 2014|
|The Manga Festival at Tenbi Academy is coming up where the students will sell amateur manga and do cosplay events. As Chacha and Kimi want to enter, Kimi wants all of Maken-ki to help her finish her manga, by having them model for her alongside Chacha. They complete their cosplaying practice and Kimi completes all the copies of her manga. On the day of the festival, Kimi's manga sells out and the Maken-ki members change into their costumes. However, the venue is struck by two perverted students who used Maken to tie all the people up in bondage ropes. Though the event is ruined, the Maken-ki members manage to free everyone from the ropes. Kimi and Chacha go after the two culprits and easily defeat them with their Maken. The two decide to enter the next event when the Manga Festival is redone that year.|
"O Nedari Tīchā" (おねだり☆ティーチャー)
|February 13, 2014|
|Aki's mother calls her to discuss another arranged marriage attempt. Aki gets flustered and lies, telling her mother that she has a boyfriend. When she has to send a picture of the boyfriend to her mother as proof, Takeru walks in after getting hurt in Element practice and she takes a picture with him to send to her mother. They both wake up on an island handcuffed together for a few days as a present from Aki's mother. By letter, she tells them that they have to endure all aspects of life until a boat comes and picks them up. The two get rather close to each other, with the Element handcuffs forcing them to eat, cook, bathe & go to sleep together. At the end, Aki and Takeru are about to kiss under a tree, but are interrupted by Haruko and Kodama who start to question what they were doing. When he starts to explain about the Element handcuffs, they vanish making the situation look grim for Takeru.|
|19||6||"Villainous Leadership Committee"
"Gokuaku Mitsuru Sei Kai Tsu!" (極悪統生会っ！)
|February 20, 2014|
|Furan and Yuka decide to select a candidate for the student council's leadership from the first-year members. Minaya gets selected to be a candidate of the committee's leadership but she faces a lot of challenges with the training. She is immediately motivated to become the council vice-president and serve under Haruko who she obsesses over. However, Minaya'a obsession with her proves a distraction as well as a motivation throughout her training camp. Despite this, she succeeds in passing the training camp but both Furan and Yuka believe she is not ready because of her obsession. They set her to the task of secretly following Haruko for a week to produce a report on her. When Haruko plays with a puppet of Takeru, Minaya realises that she loves Takeru and not her and that her feelings are one-sided. A regretful Minaya immediately goes Furan to resign her candidacy due to her selfishness and apparent immaturity, which convinces Furan and Yuka that she is prepared to lead the student council in future.|
|20||7||"His Name is Rudolf!"
"Sononawa Rudorufu!" (その名はルドルフ！)
|February 27, 2014|
|Kodama add a new antique toy bear from Germany to her collection which she names Rudolf. However, Rudolf is revealed to be a perverted talking toy bear. At first, he proves too much for Kodama to handle, sexually harassing all the breasted women he sees and defying her attempts to destroy him. However, she is unable to get a refund as the shopkeeper refuses return of the toy bear even for free. At the park, Rudolf tells Kodama that he didn't enjoy life as an inanimate toy & wanted freedom. Rudolf distracts her with the fake tragedy of his past & escapes to continue molesting women in the park. However, Kodama leaves to apprehend a vandal Element user in an emergency case with other Maken-ki members. When she runs into the escaped vandal, he defeats her easily as she consumed all her Element attacking Rudolf. However, Rudolf saves her from the vandal's finishing blow & calls upon the power of all the toy bears across the globe to defeat him. Though his Element was consumed and he appeared to die saving her, Rudolf is revealed to be still alive in their bedroom in order to peep on the girls changing.|
"Gakuen Hāremu" (学園ハーレム)
|March 6, 2014|
|The school principal hears the disparaging remarks of some schoolgirls about herself and quits her job in anger. As a ploy, she purposely gives it to Kengo Usui in order to earn the appreciation of the female students. Kengo immediately start causing problems for the schoolgirls in Tenbi Academy, even appointing a male squad of officers including Takeru in order to enforce his tyrannic rule and personally visiting classrooms to enjoy the arkward situations his perverted policies put them in. Kengo even goes to the extent of changing the syllabus and creating new school events so as to abuse his power. Discontent at being forced to obey Kengo's orders motivates the girls to stage a revolution and remove him by force. When Kodama has a strip rock-paper-scissors contest over the position of principal, she wins and Kengo immediately removes his underwear as the episode ends, to the horror of the crowd.|
|22||9||"You Are More Manly Than Roses"
"Kimi wa bara yori otokorashī" (君は薔薇より男らしい)
|March 13, 2014|
|The president of the student council committee, Furan, falls in love with a person who helped her in the park, but the person is actually Azuki. As a girl, Azuki is forced by Yuka and the rest of Maken-ki to cross-dress as "Kazuki" and date Furan. The other Maken-ki members help prepare her in the hope to cure Furan's gynophobia so that her first love is not the last one. When "Kazuki" goes on a date with Furan, they go by train & visit a cafe, an arcade & a wedding suite. Furan enjoys the date unlike Azuki. The next day, Azuki wants to confess to being the real identity of her crush as Kazuki in front of the school but is interrupted by the hooligans who attacked her and have now teamed up with a Maken user. Though Azuki is unable to defeat them, Furan saves her after her binding is broken, realising that "Kazuki" was Azuki all along. The Maken-ki members apologize and Furan returns to her normal self.|
|23||10||"And So, Toward Makenki"
"Soshite, Makenki e" (そして、マケンキへ)
|March 20, 2014|
|Minori Rokujo tells the current Maken-ki members the story of how first Maken-ki was made. The former Maken-ki president Minori, treasurer Tomiko and secretary Aki forcefully recruit Gen to join Maken-ki and become their Makensmith. They witness Akaya fight a jealous Maken user in the schoolyard and try to intervene. However, Akaya knocks him out using his Maken which convinces Minori to try and recruit him to no avail. When important administrative documents are stolen from a safe in the principal's office, Minori tries to recruit Akaya again but he refuses, preferring to work alone. When a human burglar enters the office, the Maken-ki members intercept him and reveal that the safe was a fake. The human gets knocked out by his possessor & the real thief remotely. At the fountains where the real documents are hidden, Gen is joined by Akaya who defeat the real thief and her Maken with help from the three girls. As a result, Akaya then agrees to join Maken-ki.|
Season 2 specials
Following season 2, a series of 5-minute specials were included with the Blu-ray/DVD releases, beginning 28 March 2014.
Andy Hanley of UK Anime Network, in reviewing the first five episodes, found little originality in the anime series, which he called: "a cavalcade of tired old tropes and plot devices, from a visit to a hot springs to a 'date' where the couple are spied on by jealous friends, extending all the way out to the show's various characters and beyond."
- Kodama forgives the Finian twins when they offer her the penguin stuffed animal.[ch. 16]
- In the anime, during Azuki's duel with Kai Kuragasa, when Takeru interferes, Azuki inadvertently loses her panties, causing further embarrassment.
- In the anime's first season, Syria remains a girl; she falls in love with Takeru when he shows a cool-looking stance to protect Haruko, during the volleyball match between Venus and Maken-ki. Takeru jumps in and accidentally lands on Syria instead of Haruko, much to Kodama's annoyance because of Syria's chest.
- In Funimation's numbering of the series, Episode 13, " It's Summer! It's Swimsuits! It's Training Camp!", was part of season 1
- TV Tokyo used an after-midnight programming schedule for Maken-ki! Two, thus, the premiere episode was broadcast on January 15, 2014 at 25:30, which is the same as January 16, 2014 at 1:30am JST. Dates in this article reflect the actual date.
- Hanley, Andy (2011-11-17). "UK Anime Network Anime Review – Maken-ki! – Eps. 1–5". Uk-anime.net. Retrieved 2013-04-21.
- Amith, Dennis (2013-10-29). "Maken-ki! – Complete Series (a J!-ENT Anime Blu-ray Disc Review)". J!-ENT.
- "放送情報 - 新アニメ『マケン姫っ！通』公式サイト". アニメ マケン姫っ！通 公式サイト. Retrieved 10 August 2015.
- "Maken-ki! Battling Venus - Episodes". Archived from the original on January 3, 2012. Retrieved December 29, 2012. – list of English episode titles
- "Maken-Ki! Two TV Anime Slated for Winter". Anime News Network. 2013-06-21. Retrieved 2013-06-23.
- Amith, Dennis (October 29, 2013). "Maken-ki! – Complete Series (a J!-ENT Anime Blu-ray Disc Review)". J!-ENT.
- Beveridge, Chris (August 30, 2013). "FUNimation Reveals ‘Maken-Ki!’ Anime Dub Cast & Trailer". The Fandom Post.
- "www.kadokawa.co.jp：マケン姫っ!(Maken-ki!) 1" (in Japanese). Kadokawa Shoten. Retrieved 2008-10-03.
- "www.kadokawa.co.jp：マケン姫っ!(Maken-ki!) 2" (in Japanese). Kadokawa Shoten. Retrieved 2009-01-02.
- "www.kadokawa.co.jp：マケン姫っ!(Maken-ki!) 3" (in Japanese). Kadokawa Shoten. Retrieved 2010-06-18.
- "www.kadokawa.co.jp：マケン姫っ!(Maken-ki!) 4" (in Japanese). Kadokawa Shoten. Retrieved 2010-06-18.
- "www.kadokawa.co.jp：マケン姫っ!(Maken-ki!) 5" (in Japanese). Kadokawa Shoten. Retrieved 2010-10-29.
- "www.kadokawa.co.jp：マケン姫っ!(Maken-ki!) 6" (in Japanese). Kadokawa Shoten. Retrieved 2011-04-09.
- "www.kadokawa.co.jp：マケン姫っ!(Maken-ki!) 7" (in Japanese). Kadokawa Shoten. Retrieved 2011-10-19.
- "www.kadokawa.co.jp：マケン姫っ!(Maken-ki!) 8" (in Japanese). Kadokawa Shoten. Retrieved 2011-10-19.
- "www.kadokawa.co.jp：マケン姫っ!(Maken-ki!) 9" (in Japanese). Kadokawa Shoten. Retrieved 2013-07-27.
- "www.kadokawa.co.jp：マケン姫っ!(Maken-ki!) 10" (in Japanese). Kadokawa Shoten. Retrieved 2013-07-27.
- "www.kadokawa.co.jp：マケン姫っ!(Maken-ki!) 11" (in Japanese). Kadokawa Shoten. Retrieved 2015-03-30.
- "www.kadokawa.co.jp：マケン姫っ!(Maken-ki!) 12" (in Japanese). Kadokawa Shoten. Retrieved 2015-03-30.
- "www.kadokawa.co.jp：マケン姫っ!(Maken-ki!) 13" (in Japanese). Kadokawa Shoten. Retrieved 2015-03-30.
- "www.kadokawa.co.jp：マケン姫っ!(Maken-ki!) 14" (in Japanese). Kadokawa Shoten. Retrieved 2015-03-30.
- "Maken-Ki! Manga Has Anime Project in the Works". Anime News Network. December 1, 2010. Retrieved September 7, 2011.
- "Maken-Ki! Action Romantic Comedy Anime to Air on TV". Anime News Network. April 30, 2011. Retrieved September 7, 2011.
- "Funi Adds Seikishi, Yamato: R, One Piece: Strong World, Fairy Tail Film, Akira". Anime News Network. Retrieved 28 July 2012.
- マケン姫っ！ ｜ アニメ公式サイト (in Japanese). Archived from the original on January 3, 2012.
- "作品情報（シリーズ）–マケン姫っ!" [Work information (series) & ndash; Maken-ki!]. Media Arts Database (in Japanese). Japan: Agency for Cultural Affairs. Retrieved August 10, 2015.
- "マケン姫っ!-MAKEN-KI!-" (in Japanese). Web Newtype. Archived from the original on October 1, 2011. Retrieved October 2, 2011.
- マケン姫っ！ ｜ アニメ公式サイト (in Japanese). Archived from the original on January 3, 2012.
- マケン姫っ！ ｜ アニメ公式サイト (in Japanese). Archived from the original on January 3, 2012.
- "ޥマケン姫っ! ‐MAKENーKI!‐8 DVD付限定版".
- "ޥɱ! MAKENKI! 11 ֥롼쥤դ: ߥå&˥: Ĺ - KADOKAWA-Ź롼".
- "「マケン姫っ!通」今冬放送開始 原作11巻にオリジナルアニメ付属限定版". アニメ！アニメ！.
- "作品情報（シリーズ）–マケン姫っ! 通" [Work information (series) & ndash; Maken-ki! 2]. Media Arts Database (in Japanese). Japan: Agency for Cultural Affairs. Retrieved August 10, 2015.
- "TOKYO MX ＊ アニメ「マケン姫っ！通」" [TOKYO MX Anime Maken-ki! Two] (in Japanese). Tokyo MX. Retrieved 2014-04-10.
- "Watch Maken-ki! Anime Episodes – Season 2 guide". Funimation. Retrieved 2014-04-10.
- Maken-ki manga volumes by Hiromitsu Takeda. Original Japanese version published by Kadokawa Shoten.
- Vol. 1 (ch. 1–5): マケン姫っ! -MAKEN‐KI!- 1. June 2008 ISBN 978-4-04-712553-7 (in Japanese)
- Vol. 2 (ch. 6–10): マケン姫っ! -MAKEN‐KI!- 2. December 2008 ISBN 978-4-04-712582-7 (in Japanese)
- Vol. 3 (ch. 11–15): マケン姫っ! -MAKEN‐KI!- 3. September 2009 ISBN 978-4-04-712626-8 (in Japanese)
- Vol. 4 (ch. 16–21): マケン姫っ! -MAKEN‐KI!- 4. April 2010 ISBN 978-4-04-712660-2 (in Japanese)
- Vol. 5 (ch. 22–27): マケン姫っ! -MAKEN‐KI!- 5. October 2010 ISBN 978-4-04-712689-3 (in Japanese)
- Vol. 6 (ch. 28–33): マケン姫っ! -MAKEN‐KI!- 6. April 2011 ISBN 978-4-04-712720-3 (in Japanese)
- Vol. 7 (ch. 34–38): マケン姫っ! -MAKEN‐KI!- 7. October 2011 ISBN 978-4-04-712752-4 (in Japanese)
- Vol. 8 (ch. 39–43): マケン姫っ! -MAKEN‐KI!- 8. March 2012 ISBN 978-4-04-712781-4(in Japanese)
- マケン姫っ! -MAKEN‐KI!- 9. TBD ISBN TBD (in Japanese)
- Official manga website (Japanese)
- Official anime website (Japanese)
- Funimation's Maken-Ki website
- Maken-ki! (anime) at Anime News Network's encyclopedia