Maker Faire Africa
Presently curated & organized by Emeka Okafor, Henry Barnor and Jennifer Wolfe .Maker Faire Africa an international organization was co-founded by Mark Grimes (Ned.com) Emeka Okafor (TED Africa),Lars Hassleblad Torress (IDEAS Global Challenge), Erik Hersman (Afrigadget) and Nii Simmonds (Nubian Cheetah).Maker Faire Africa aims to engage with on-the-ground breakthrough organizations and individual makers to sharpen focus on locally generated, bottom-up prototypes of technologies that solve immediate challenges to development.
The aim of a Maker Faire Africa is to create a space on the African continent where Afrigadget-type innovations, inventions and initiatives can be sought, identified, brought to life, supported, amplified and propagated. At the same time, Maker Faire Africa would seek to imbue creative types in science and technology with an appreciation of fabrication and by default manufacturing. The first Maker Faire Africa was in Ghana in 2009. The second phase was held in Nairobi, Kenya in 2010, the third in Cairo in 2011, the fourth in Lagos, the fifth abroad (Istanbul, Milan, New York City) and the sixth in Johannesburg.
- The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind: Creating Currents of Electricity and Hope by William Kamkwamba & Bryan Mealer
- Makers by Cory Doctorow
- Steve Daniels. Making Do: Innovation in Kenya's Informal Economy. Analogue Digital, 2010
- Ali Abdel Mohsen. "Maker Faire Africa 2011 to be held in Cairo on 6 October." Al-Masry Al-Youm, 04/10/2011
- "mfa 2014 : Johannesburg, ZA : Maker Faire Africa". makerfaireafrica.com. Retrieved 2017-04-10.
- Ariel Schwartz. "Creative Gadgets Dominate Maker Faire Africa." Fast Company, Aug 27, 2010
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Maker Faire Africa.|
- Maker Faire Africa
- Makerfaireafrica Blog
- Flickr. Maker Faire Africa 2010
- Flickr. Maker Faire Africa 2010 -Nairobi
- Flickr. Cairo, Maker Faire Africa Day 3, Oct-2011