Makerere University Hospital
|Makerere University Hospital|
Central Region, Uganda
|Affiliated university||Makerere University|
|Other links||Hospitals in Uganda|
The hospital is located on Makerere Hill, off of Gaddafi Road, in Kampala Central Division, about 2 kilometres (1 mi), southwest of Mulago National Referral Hospital. The coordinates of Makerere University Hospital are 0°19'40.0"N, 32°34'15.0"E (Latitude:0.327771; Longitude:32.570843).
The 32-bed hospital serves both outpatients and inpatients. It caters to both university staff and students, but inpatients are restricted to students only.
Services offered include the following:
- Dental cleaning, polishing, filling, scaling and extraction.
- X-ray services
- Laboratory analysis of blood, stool and urine
- Family planning services including contraceptive services
- Immunizations for children and university students
- An in-house pharmacy stocks most essential drugs.
- An Ambulance is available 24/7.
Prior to 1972, the university maintained a health post known as Makerere University Students Health Service or Sick Bay at the current location of Makerere University Police Post. In 1972, when Idi Amin expelled the Ugandan Asians, the university acquired the premises formerly known as Nile Nursing Home. The university Sick Bay relocated to the new premises. On 16 February 1978, President Idi Amin visited the Sick Bay and he crowned it the Hospital status; thus the name Makerere University Hospital.
- GFC (2 June 2016). "Distance between Makerere University Hospital, Gaddafi Road, Kampala, Central Region, Uganda and Mulago National Referral Hospital, Kampala, Central Region, Uganda". Globefeed.com (GFC). Retrieved 2 June 2016.
- Google (1 June 2016). "Location of Makerere University Hospital" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 1 June 2016.
- Ndyabahika, Davidson (4 December 2015). "Makerere University Hospital Dilemma: Patients go hungry". Kampala: Uganda Campus Times. Retrieved 2 June 2016.
- MUK (2 June 2016). "Makerere University Hospital: About the Hospital". Kampala: Makerere University (MUK). Retrieved 2 June 2016.
- ITUC (2 June 2016). "Makerere University Health Services: Who We Are". Kampala: Infotradeuganda.com (ITUC). Retrieved 2 June 2016.