Makerfield (UK Parliament constituency)
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Makerfield in Greater Manchester.
Location of Greater Manchester within England.
|Electorate||74,856 (December 2010)|
|Member of parliament||Yvonne Fovargue (Labour)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||Ince, Wigan, Newton and Westhoughton|
|European Parliament constituency||North West England|
Makerfield is on some calculations, particularly a historical measure based on the period of time since a previous party served the area, the safest Labour seat in the country — with its predecessor constituencies, it has been held by Labour since the Parliamentary Labour Party was formed in 1906. In 2010 the constituency, of the 650 nationally, polled the 105th highest share of the vote for the Labour Party.
1983-1997: The Metropolitan Borough of Wigan wards of Abram, Ashton-Golborne, Bryn, Lightshaw, Orrell, Winstanley, and Worsley Mesnes.
1997-2010: The Metropolitan Borough of Wigan wards of Abram, Ashton-Golborne, Bryn, Ince, Orrell, Winstanley, and Worsley Mesnes.
2010–present: The Metropolitan Borough of Wigan wards of Abram, Ashton, Bryn, Hindley, Hindley Green, Orrell, Winstanley, and Worsley Mesnes.
Makerfield consists of the western and central section of the Metropolitan Borough of Wigan in Greater Manchester. It comprises the wards to the south and to the west of Wigan and to the west of Leigh.
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 2010s
|Liberal Democrat||John Skipworth||1,322||2.8||0.9|
|Liberal Democrat||John Skipworth||1,639||3.7||−12.5|
|Liberal Democrat||Dave Crowther||7,082||16.2||+4.8|
Elections in the 2000s
|Liberal Democrat||Trevor Beswick||3,789||10.6||−0.8|
|Community Action||Peter Franzen||2,769||7.8||N/A|
|Liberal Democrat||David Crowther||3,990||11.4||+3.1|
|Socialist Alliance||Malcolm Jones||858||2.5||N/A|
Elections in the 1990s
|Liberal Democrat||Bruce Hubbard||3,743||8.3||−1.1|
|Liberal Democrat||Stephen Jeffers||5,097||9.4||−7.1|
|Natural Law||Christopher Davies||397||0.7||+0.7|
Elections in the 1980s
|Labour win (new seat)|
Notes and references
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Archived from the original on 6 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- "'Makerfield', June 1983 up to May 1997". ElectionWeb Project. Cognitive Computing Limited. Retrieved 12 March 2016.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "M" (part 1)[self-published source][better source needed]
- "Makerfield parliamentary constituency". BBC News.
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Makerfield". BBC News.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 26 July 2013. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "BBC NEWS – Election 2010 – Makerfield". BBC News.
- "Election Data 2005". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2001". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1997". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1992". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Politics Resources". Election 1992. Politics Resources. 9 April 1992. Retrieved 6 Dec 2010.
- "Election Data 1987". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1983". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.