MakethisRelate in 2011. From left to right: Aidan, Kevin, Danny & Dave
|Origin||Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom|
|Genres||Alternative, rock, pop|
|Past members||Dave McErlane|
MakethisRelate is a three piece alternative rock band from the Glasgow area of Scotland. The band is currently unsigned but has been gaining publicity over the past few years from a variety of influential media sources including: Kerrang!, Rock Sound and Evening Times. MakethisRelate is one of several Scottish bands who are currently notable within the rock music scene in the UK.
The band formed in September 2008 whilst studying sound production at Cumbernauld College. After an impromptu jam session in the college studio the band decided to continue playing music together, initially as the backing band to Kevin's solo project at the time. After a year of playing gigs in pubs and youth centres in central Scotland, the band adopted the MakethisRelate moniker and began to work on their debut EP, Pick Your Side. In an interview with Alter The Press! the band stated the transition between Kevin's solo project and performing their own material "was a really natural progression". The band cite Jimmy Eat World and Biffy Clyro as two of their main influences.
2009-2010: Pick Your Side
MakethisRelate recorded Pick Your Side over the summer of 2009 and released the four track EP on 10 September 2009. The majority of the recording took place in a small town near Irvine, Scotland and additional tracks were recorded between LoFi Studios, Glasgow and the band member's houses. The EP's lead single, We'll Always Be Famous, found its way to a producer at 102.5 Clyde 1 who gave the song its first play on national radio. Physical copies of Pick Your Side sold out within a few months and the EP became popular in the Glasgow music scene.
2010-2011: One More Second Chance
Following the success of Pick Your Side and support slots with Flood of Red, Rolo Tomassi and Ten Second Epic, the band's fan base increased dramatically. This led the band to bigger stages including the main stage at the O2 ABC Glasgow and a sold out show in the legendary King Tut's Wah Wah Hut with Twenty Twenty. The band described the experience with Twenty Twenty as an eye opening one which shattered many of their illusions of the music industry.
During the summer of 2010, the band began work on their second EP, One More Second Chance. The majority of One More Second Chance was recorded in a church in Motherwell and was of a slightly heavier sound than their first EP. This led to comparisons between One More Second Chance and Blackened Sky by Biffy Clyro. In September 2010, the band headlined the O2 ABC Glasgow and released One More Second Chance which was met by a good response from critics. The band went on to support Elliot Minor and completed their first mini tour before the end of 2010.
2011 – present: Red Bull Bedroom Jam & Sugar Glass
MakethisRelate spent the beginning of 2011 working on their live show and played a number of gigs around Scotland. They also announced that they would embark on their first UK tour with Birmingham based band, Page 44, in May 2011. Over the summer of 2011, the band was announced as one of eight finalists in the Red Bull Bedroom Jam project and thus went on to perform at Download Festival, Sonisphere Festival, T in the Park and several other UK festivals. They also supported heavy metal supergroup The Damned Things at their show in The Garage, Glasgow. Guitarist, Dave McErlane, left the band during the festival season, citing personal reasons.
Off the back of their festival appearances, the band released the single, Sugar Glass on 22 August, which was mixed and mastered by Jason Wilson at Stakeout Studios (You Me At Six, We Are The Ocean, Fightstar) and then embarked on a short UK tour. The single received positive reviews from critics and was used by Front Magazine to soundtrack one of their videos.
As of March 2012 the band have announced an extended hiatus during which they will not be recording or performing live. The reasons for this break have not been explained but it is thought that the commitments of other members has forced it upon the band. They have stated clearly that this is not the end of MakethisRelate and have asked their fans to support them in any solo ventures Kevin, Aidan or Danny may embark on.
The band reformed in 2013 for a free show in Glasgow on 25 September, but there has since been no activity from the group.
- Current members
- Kevin Walls – Lead vocals, guitar, piano (since 2008)
- Aidan Scott – Bass guitar, backing vocals (since 2008)
- Danny Kelly – Drums, backing vocals (since 2008)
- Former members
- Dave McErlane – Guitar (2008–2011)
- Extended plays
- Pick Your Side (2009)
- One More Second Chance (2010)
- Pick Your Side (2010)
- Sugar Glass (2011)
- Sam Law (23 July 2011). "Sonisphere 2011 - The Kerrang! Review". Kerrang!.
- "Sonisphere Festival 2011: Sunday Rolling Review". Rock Sound. 10 July 2011.
- "Relate on the road". Evening Times. 11 May 2011
- "SINGLE: MakeThisRelate, Sugar Glass". Bring The Noise UK.
- "IN PROFILE: Make this relate"[permanent dead link]. STV Local. 8 Mar 2011.
- "Alter The Press! Presents: MakeThisRelate" Alter! The Press.
- "MakethisRelate - One More Second Chance"[permanent dead link]. Ark Magazine. 24 Aug 2010
- "Review: Make This Relate - One More Second Chance". Punktastic. 27 Aug 2010.
- "Review: Make This Relate- One More Second Chance EP". Glasgow Music. 27 Sep 2010.
- "Introducing… MakethisRelate" This Is Not A Scene. 3 May 2011.
- "Red Bull Bedroom Jam 2011 Winner: MakethisRelate" Dead Press! 24 Jun 2011.
- "New Photos of MakethisRelate". Ctrl Alt Rock. 8 Jun 2011.
- "New MakethisRelate Single". Ctrl Alt Rock. 12 Aug 2011.
- "Review: MakethisRelate - Sugar Glass (Single)". Hit The Floor Magazine. 30 Aug 2011.
- "Sabine's Halloween Horror" Archived 2 November 2011 at the Wayback Machine.. Front Magazine. 31 Oct 2011.