Makin' Me Fall in Love Again
|"Makin' Me Fall in Love Again"|
|Single by Kellie Pickler|
|from the album Kellie Pickler|
|Released||April 19, 2010|
James T. Slater
|Kellie Pickler singles chronology|
"Makin' Me Fall in Love Again" is a song written by Karyn Rochelle, James T. Slater, and Shane Stevens, and recorded by American country artist Kellie Pickler. It was released in April 2010 as the fourth single from her self-titled second album. The song is about someone being in love and still having that feeling, despite being told that it will fade away. Pickler said that it reflected her current relationship.
The song received positive reviews from critics who praised Pickler's vocal performance and the catchy production. "Makin' Me Fall in Love Again" peaked at number 30 on the Billboard Hot Country Songs chart. The accompanying music video for the single, directed by Roman White, was set in the 1940s where Pickler and members of the USO perform in outfits resembling fashions from that era.
"Makin' Me Fall in Love Again" is an up-tempo song, featuring a production with prominent electric guitar. The song's female narrator describes being in love and despite being told that it will fade, she finds the love rejuvenating every moment she spends with her significant other, as if he's "makin' [her] fall in love again" each time.
In an interview with The Boot, Kellie Pickler felt the song was a reflection of her current relationship. She also noted that the song was almost not included on the record: "We were ready to send [the album] off to be mastered and to get it ready to be packaged for the shelves, but ["Makin' Me Fall in Love Again"] just made it barely. I was actually surprised how it did make it on there. I'm glad it did ... It completed the record."
Jim Malec of The 9513 gave the song a thumbs up, favoring her vocals, which "are more assured and confident than ever as she somehow breathes life into a set of generally abhorrent lyrics." He also complimented the "simple truth of the hook" and the "unusually sparse production," concluding that it was "another solid addition to her catalog." Matt Bjorke of Roughstock spoke positively of the song, describing it as "perfect for the lighter, feel-good summer radio playlists," suggesting that with its "catchy melody" it has the "potential to be Kellie Pickler’s biggest hit to date." He also compared it to something Pickler's "idol Dolly Parton might have recorded." Kevin John Coyne of Country Universe gave the song a C rating, comparing it to cotton candy: "It’s like they got the color and the texture right but forgot to put the sugar in the cotton candy."
The music video, which was directed by Roman White, was filmed in Los Angeles, California in April 2010, and premiered on GAC on May 14, 2010 and May 17, 2010 on CMT. In the video, Pickler is shown surrounded by members of the USO, and performing in various outfits that resemble fashions of the 1940s. The video's concept was chosen by Pickler, because she felt the 1940s celebrated the female figure: "I don’t feel there was a pressure to be skinny and so deathly looking as what the pressure is now. The women were more ‘womanly’-looking. They had curves. They had beautiful fair skin. It was just more natural."
"Makin' Me Fall in Love Again" debuted at number 53 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Songs chart for the week of May 8, 2010. After eleven weeks, the song reached a peak of number 30 on the chart for the week dated July 17, 2010.
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||30|
- "Single Releases: MusicRow". MusicRow. Retrieved March 21, 2010.
- Conaway, Alanna (March 26, 2010). "The Boot: Kellie Pickler's Latest Single Is 'Reflection' of Her Life". The Boot. Retrieved April 3, 2010.
- Malec, Jim (March 17, 2010). "The 9513: Kellie Pickler - "Makin' Me Fall in Love Again"". The9513. Archived from the original on September 23, 2010. Retrieved March 21, 2010.
- Bjorke, Matt (April 2, 2010). "Roughstock Blog: Kellie Pickler - "Makin' Me Fall In Love Again"". Roughstock. Retrieved April 3, 2010.
- Coyne, Kevin John (March 20, 2010). "Country Universe: Single Review: Kellie Pickler, "Makin' Me Fall in Love Again"". Country Universe. Retrieved March 21, 2010.
- "Kellie Pickler – Chart history" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Kellie Pickler. Retrieved June 8, 2011.
- Mansfield, Brian (August 18, 2010). "Idol track sales: Adam Lambert, Carrie Underwood, Daughtry". USA Today. Gannett Company. Retrieved August 18, 2010.