Malév Flight 240
This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
HA-LCI, the aircraft involved in the accident, seen earlier in 1975
|Date||30 September 1975|
|Summary||Crashed into sea; Cause Undetermined|
near Beirut, Lebanon
|Aircraft type||Tupolev Tu-154A|
|Flight origin||Budapest Ferihegy International Airport, Hungary|
|Destination||Beirut International Airport, Lebanon|
Malév Flight 240 was a regular service from Budapest Ferihegy International Airport, Hungary, to Beirut International Airport, Lebanon. On 30 September 1975, the aircraft operating the route, a Tupolev Tu-154 of Malév Hungarian Airlines, on its final approach for landing, crashed into the Mediterranean Sea just off the coast of Lebanon. All fifty passengers and ten crew on board are thought to have been killed. No official statement was ever made on the crash and its cause has never been publicly disclosed.
On 27 September 2007, Hungarian politician György Szilvásy, then Minister of Civil Intelligence Services, wrote a letter to Róbert Répássy, Fidesz party member of the Hungarian Parliament, stating that Hungarian civilian national security services (Információs Hivatal and Nemzetbiztonsági Hivatal) had produced a report on the crash in 2003, and that the report stated that there were no available original (secret service) documents concerning the case. Szilvásy's letter affirmed that the report remains top secret, for reasons not connected to the crash.
Hungarian television station Hír TV has carried a documentary film covering the incident.[better source needed] In December 2008, Dutch broadcaster NTR aired a piece on Malév Flight 240 alleging that there is existing photographic documentation of the search and rescue or recovery operation, and that fifteen unidentified bodies were recovered.
- "Malév Flight 240 Accident description". Aviation Safety Network. Retrieved 10 June 2018.
- "Accident Synopsis 09301975". Airdisaster.com. Retrieved 18 November 2007.
- "Letter from György Szilvásy to Róbert Répássy" (PDF) (in Hungarian). 27 September 2007.
- CINEMART Productions of Hungary; Producer: Ferenc Szohár
- "Den Haag Vandaag (The Hague Today)". NTR (NOVA video). 20 December 2008.
- Magazine article in Hetek news magazine (in Hungarian), 12 December 2003
- News article in Nethírlap online newspaper (in Hungarian), 30 September 2005
- The Lost Malev – website dedicated to Malév Flight 240