Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Mangesh Hadawale|
|Screenplay by||Mangesh Hadawale|
Sanjay Leela Bhansali
Sanjay Leela Bhansali
|Edited by||Rajesh Pandey|
|Distributed by||Yash Raj Films|
|Box office||est. ₹2.50 crore|
Malaal (transl. Regret) is a 2019 Indian Hindi-language romantic action film written and directed by Mangesh Hadawale in his Hindi directorial debut. It is produced by Sanjay Leela Bhansali, Bhushan Kumar, Mahaveer Jain and Krishan Kumar. A remake of the 2004 Tamil language film 7G Rainbow Colony, it follows a contemporary love story between Astha and Shiva (played by debutants Sharmin Segal and Meezaan Jaffrey), who are from contrasting backgrounds and live in a Mumbai chawl.
- Meezaan Jaffery as Shiva More
- Sharmin Segal as Astha Tripathi
- Sameer Dharmadhikari as Politician
- Ankush Bisht as Dev
Marketing and release
The first look official poster and the trailer of the film were launched on 18 May 2019 by T-Series. Another poster of the film with fresh look of the lead pair was released on 25 May, it also mentioned new release date.
Sreeparna Sengupta of The Times of India gave the film , praising the performance of debutants Meezaan and Sharmin Segal and their onscreen chemistry, termed it as 'simmering love story' with 'romantic and intense moments'. Sengupta feels the background music 'addictive' and cinematography 'top notch'. Concluding Sengupta wrote, "Malaal is reminiscent of sweet romances when handwritten notes were actually a thing and it’s tender moments like these that sets the film apart. This one is for those who want to soak themselves into a full-blown love story." Priyanka Sinha Jha of CNN-News18, terms debut duo of Meezaan and Sharmin Segal 'charming in parts', but 'rough around the edges' and rates the film with . Agreeing with Sengupta she praises the music but feels that Mangesh Hadawale’s direction, 'lacks the finesse'. Concluding she writes, "Malaal lacks the pathos it needed to soar to greater heights than the Tamil original (which is the source material for the film) to make Hindi cinema audiences sit up and take notice." Writing for the NDTV Saibal Chatterjee, praised cinematographer Ragul Dharuman for 'depth of view', production designer Akriti Piplani for carving out spaces, Meezaan for screen presence and Sharmin Segal for meeting 'demands of the character'. He opined, that the debut duo cannot be 'just dismissed as two more beneficiaries of a nepotistic movie industry'. He felt that the retro soundscape put the life in the film whenever it languished, and it would have been better if the film had the courage to stress upon the 'power of love to surmount divisive forces'. He concluded the review as, "[Malaal], abandons the topical concern and settles for a construct that drifts towards a tame, sanitized finish." He rated it with . Devesh Sharma reviewing for Filmfare rates the film with . He praises Meezaan and Sharmin and opines that the industry has found two performers in them. Agreeing with Sengupta he feels that it is a simmering love story, not like the stories commonly seen these days. He recommends, "Watch the film for its old-fashioned love story and realistic performances..."
|Soundtrack album by |
Sanjay Leela Bhansali, Shreyas Puranik and Sail Hada
|Released||21 June 2019 |
|Studio||Mixed and Mastered: Rahul M Sharma @AMV Studio|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Sanjay Leela Bhansali chronology|
|1.||"Aila Re"||Prashant Ingole||Vishal Dadlani|
Rap: Shreyas Puranik
|2.||"Udhal Ho"||Prashant Ingole||Adarsh Shinde||3:34|
|3.||"Nadh Khula" (Music by Shreyas Puranik)||Prashant Ingole||Shreyas Puranik||3:18|
|4.||"Aai Shapat"||Prashant Ingole||Rutvik Talashilkar||2:39|
|5.||"Kathai Kathai"||A. M. Turaz, Prashant Ingole||Shreya Ghoshal||3:01|
|6.||"Zara Suno" (Music by Shail Hada)||Vimal Kashyap||Rutvik Talashilkar, Aanandi Joshi||2:46|
|7.||"Ek Malaal"||Prashant Ingole||Shail Hada||2:54|
- "Malaal: Sharmin Segal, Meezaan's Bollywood debut film to now release on 5 July". Firstpost. 25 May 2019. Retrieved 25 May 2019.
- "Malaal Box Office". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 13 July 2019.
- "Sanjay Leela Bhansali to launch niece Sharmin Segal opposite Javed Jaffrey's son Meezaan in Malaal". Hindustan Times. 16 May 2019. Retrieved 18 May 2019.
- "Sanjay Leela Bhansali to launch newcomers this week". Deccan Chronicle. 17 May 2019. Retrieved 18 May 2019.
- "'Malaal' trailer: Newbies Meezaan Jaaferi and Sharmin Sehgal are all set to redefine love in their debut film". Times of India. 18 May 2019. Retrieved 18 May 2019.
- "Malaal Trailer:Peppy Music Fuels Meezaan and Sharmin Segal's Tragic Love Story". News 18. 18 May 2019. Retrieved 18 May 2019.
- Taran Adarsh [@taran_adarsh] (25 May 2019). "New release date... #Malaal will now release on 5 July 2019... Sanjay Leela Bhansali introduces Sharmin Segal and Meezaan in the film... Directed by Mangesh Hadawale. t.co/Rd3qzAD2vZ" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Peter John, Ali (15 September 2019). "Sanjay Bhansali's next Malaal goes on the floor". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 18 May 2019.
- "Sanjay Leela Bhansali's Malaal featuring debutants Meezaan Jaffrey and Sharmin Segal to release on THIS DATE!". Bollywood Hungama. 16 March 2019. Retrieved 18 May 2019.
- Dixit, Shivani (18 May 2019). "Malaal Trailer: Meezaan Jaaferi and Sharmin Segal's love-hate relationship steals the show". Times Now News. Retrieved 18 May 2019.
- "Malaal Official Trailer | Sharmin Segal | Meezaan | SLB | 28th June 2019 | T-Series". YouTube. Series. 18 May 2019.
- "'Malaal': Sanjay Leela Bhansali's film starring Sharmin Sehgal and Meezaan Jaaferi postponed to this date". Times of India. 25 May 2019. Retrieved 25 May 2019.
- Sengupta, Sreeparna (5 July 2019). "MALAAL MOVIE REVIEW". The Times of India. Retrieved 5 July 2019.
- Sinha Jha, Priyanka (5 July 2019). "Malaal Movie Review: Meezaan, Sharmin's Film Lacks the Pathos It Needed". CNN-News18. Retrieved 5 July 2019.
- Chatterjee, Saibal (5 July 2019). "Malaal Movie Review: Meezaan Jaaferi, Sharmin Segal Grow On You In This Romantic Drama". NDTV. Retrieved 5 July 2019.
- Sharma, Devesh (5 July 2019). "Movie Review: Malaal". Filmfare. Retrieved 5 July 2019.
- "Malaal - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack". Jio Saavn.