Malacañang of the South
|Malacañang of the South|
Malacañang sa Habagatan
|Alternative names||Presidential Guest House in Davao |
Balay na Pinuy-anan sa Presidente sa Dabaw
|Type||Residence and Office|
|Location||DPWH Region 11 Compound|
|Town or city||Davao City, Davao del Sur, Philippines|
|Current tenants||Rodrigo Roa Duterte|
President of the Philippines
|Owner||Office of the President|
The Malacañang of the South, also known as the Presidential Guest House in Davao or Panacañang, is a presidential guest house in Panacan, Davao City that serves as the Philippine President's official residence in Mindanao. It is located in the compound and office complex of the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) Davao Region.
Conceived under the administration of President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo in 2005, when the Office of the President acquired the property inside the DPWH Compound in Davao City, the two-storey guesthouse was completed in 2007. It was planned to serve as an official residence of the subsequent presidents when visiting Davao and the surrounding provinces. However, it was used only once by Macapagal-Arroyo and was only used as a staging point by President Benigno Aquino III in his visits to the city and the nearby Samal Island and Santa Cruz, Davao del Sur.
President Rodrigo Duterte has indicated that the guest house will have a more active role in his administration. It will serve as his active office and residence and as an alternative to Malacañang Palace in Manila. It has been in active use as a meeting place for his Cabinet.
The Malacañang of the South houses 8 airconditioned rooms, serving as living quarters of the President, staff and VIPs, along with a conference room and a personal working office for the chief executive. Overlooking the sea, it has a view of the Island Garden City of Samal and includes a jetty port for transport to the island, also fitting the presidential yacht. It includes a helipad shared with the DPWH warehouse facilities.
- Malacañang Palace, the official residence and working office of the President of the Philippines
- Malacañang sa Sugbo, the official residence of the President of the Philippines in the Visayas
- The Mansion, Baguio, the official summer residence of the President of the Philippines
- "What will happen to the 'Malacañang of the South'?". 27 May 2016. Retrieved 21 June 2016.
- "Duterte bares more Cabinet members". 31 May 2016. Retrieved 21 June 2016.
- Cayabyab, Marc Jayson. "Duterte to hold first Cabinet meet at 'Malacañang of the South'". Retrieved 21 June 2016.
- "President-elect Duterte to present Cabinet". Retrieved 21 June 2016.
- "Only PTV-4 is allowed inside the Presidential Guest House in Panacan, Davao City". Retrieved 21 June 2016.