Richardson in the 2015 McDonald's All-America Game
|No. 22 – Toronto Raptors|
|Born||January 5, 1996|
Trenton, New Jersey
|Listed height||6 ft 6 in (1.98 m)|
|Listed weight||205 lb (93 kg)|
|High school||Trenton Catholic Academy|
(Hamilton, New Jersey)
|NBA draft||2016 / Round: 1 / Pick: 22nd overall|
|Selected by the Charlotte Hornets|
|Career highlights and awards|
Malachi Richardson (born January 5, 1996) is an American professional basketball player for the Toronto Raptors of the National Basketball Association (NBA). He played one season of college basketball for Syracuse before being selected by the Charlotte Hornets with the 22nd overall pick in the 2016 NBA draft.
High school and college career
Richardson attended Trenton Catholic Academy his freshman year, then spent his sophomore year at Roselle Catholic High School before returning to Trenton Catholic Academy for his junior and senior years, to team back up with coach Fred Falchi, who came out of retirement to coach. In his high school career at Trenton Catholic Academy, Malachi scored a total 1,245 points, averaging 19.2 points in his junior year and 18.7 in his senior year.
Richardson played one season of college basketball for Syracuse, averaging 13.4 points, 4.3 rebounds and 2.1 assists per game. On April 18, 2016, he declared for the NBA draft, forgoing his final three years of college eligibility.
|Name||Hometown||High school / college||Height||Weight||Commit date|
|Hamilton, NJ||Trenton Catholic Academy||6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)||190 lb (86 kg)||Dec 13, 2013|
|Recruiting star ratings: Scout: Rivals: 247Sports: N/A ESPN grade: 95|
|Overall recruiting rankings:|
Sacramento Kings (2016–2018)
On June 23, 2016, Richardson was selected by the Charlotte Hornets with the 22nd overall pick in the 2016 NBA draft. His rights were later traded to the Sacramento Kings on July 7, 2016, in exchange for Marco Belinelli. On July 15, 2016, he signed his rookie scale contract with the Kings. On February 16, 2017, he was ruled out for four to six weeks after suffering a partial thickness tear of his right hamstring the night before. He was later shut down for the remainder of the season on March 26, 2017. During his season and a half with the Kings, he had multiple assignments with the Reno Bighorns of the NBA G League.
Toronto Raptors (2018–present)
On February 8, 2018, Richardson was traded to the Toronto Raptors in exchange for Bruno Caboclo. On February 11, in Charlotte, he played in his first game with the Raptors. During the rest of the season, he received multiple assignments to Raptors 905, Toronto's G League affiliate.
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field goal percentage||3P%||3-point field goal percentage||FT%||Free throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game||Bold||Career high|
- Schneider, Jeremy (August 1, 2013). "Boys Basketball: Malachi Richardson leaves Roselle Catholic, returns to Trenton Catholic". NJ.com. Retrieved April 18, 2016.
- "Syracuse bio". Cuse.com. Retrieved November 12, 2016.
- "Malachi Richardson College Stats". Sports-Reference.com. Retrieved November 12, 2016.
- Waters, Mike (April 18, 2016). "Malachi Richardson entering name in the NBA Draft, not signing with agent". Syracuse.com. Retrieved April 18, 2016.
- O'Gorman, George (April 18, 2016). "Syracuse freshman Malachi Richardson enters NBA draft, won't sign with agent". Trentonian.com. Retrieved April 18, 2016.
- Schneider, Jeremy (June 24, 2016). "NBA Draft 2016: N.J.'s Malachi Richardson drafted 22nd overall by Hornets, who trade him to Kings". NJ.com. Retrieved November 12, 2016.
- "Kings Acquire Malachi Richardson". NBA.com. July 7, 2016. Retrieved July 7, 2016.
- "Kings Sign Papagiannis, Richardson and Labissiere". NBA.com. July 15, 2016. Retrieved July 15, 2016.
- "Malachi Richardson Injury Update". NBA.com. February 16, 2017. Retrieved February 16, 2017.
- Kawahara, Matt (February 16, 2017). "Kings' Malachi Richardson out 4 to 6 weeks with hamstring injury". Sacbee.com. Retrieved February 16, 2017.
- "Malachi Richardson Injury Update". NBA.com. March 26, 2017. Retrieved March 27, 2017.
- Ham, James (March 26, 2017). "SOURCE: KINGS SHUTTING DOWN ROOKIE RICHARDSON FOR SEASON". csnbayarea.com. Retrieved March 27, 2017.
- "All-Time NBA Assignments". NBA.com. Retrieved February 8, 2018.
- "Kings Acquire Bruno Caboclo". NBA.com. February 8, 2018. Retrieved February 8, 2018.
- "Raptors vs. Hornets - Box Score". ESPN.com. February 11, 2018. Retrieved April 28, 2018.
- "2017-2018 Raptors 905 Transactions History". RealGM.com. Retrieved April 15, 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Malachi Richardson.|