|Group:||Group I (dsDNA)|
Malacoherpesviridae is a family of DNA viruses in the order Herpesvirales. Molluscs serve as natural hosts. There are currently only two species in this family, divided among 2 genera. Diseases associated with this family include: sporadic episodes of high mortality among larvae and juveniles. The family name Malacoherpesviridae is derived from Greek word 'μαλακός (malacos) meaning 'soft' and from Greek word 'μαλάκιον (malakion) meaning 'mollusc.
- Ostreavirus Davison et al., 2009
- Haliotivirus Savin et al., 2010
Viruses in Malacoherpesviridae are enveloped, with icosahedral and Spherical to pleomorphic geometries, and T=16 symmetry. The diameter is around 150-200 nm. Genomes are linear and non-segmented, around 134kb in length.
|Genus||Structure||Symmetry||Capsid||Genomic Arrangement||Genomic Segmentation|
Viral replication is nuclear, and is lysogenic. Entry into the host cell is achieved by attachment of the viral glycoproteins to host receptors, which mediates endocytosis. DNA templated transcription is the method of transcription. Molluscs serve as the natural host. Malacoherpesviridae may have the ability to infect across species, a feature not typically observed in vertebrate herpesviruses. This ability appears to be restricted to related mollusc species.
|Genus||Host Details||Tissue Tropism||Entry Details||Release Details||Replication Site||Assembly Site||Transmission|
|Aurivirus||Haliotidae molluscs||B-lymphocytes||Glycoprotiens||Budding||Nucleus||Nucleus||Sex; saliva|
This article incorporates CC-BY-2.0 text from the reference 
- "Viral Zone". ExPASy. Retrieved 15 June 2015.
- ICTV. "Virus Taxonomy: 2014 Release". Retrieved 15 June 2015.
- Davison, Andrew J.; Eberle, Richard; Ehlers, Bernhard; Hayward, Gary S.; McGeoch, Duncan J.; Minson, Anthony C.; Pellett, Philip E.; Roizman, Bernard et al. (2008). "The order Herpesvirales". Archives of Virology 154 (1): 171–7. doi:10.1007/s00705-008-0278-4. PMC 3552636. PMID 19066710.
- Savin, Keith W; Cocks, Benjamin G; Wong, Frank; Sawbridge, Tim; Cogan, Noel; Savage, David; Warner, Simone (2010). "A neurotropic herpesvirus infecting the gastropod, abalone, shares ancestry with oyster herpesvirus and a herpesvirus associated with the amphioxus genome". Virology Journal 7: 308. doi:10.1186/1743-422X-7-308. PMC 2994540. PMID 21062506.
- Ren W, Chen H, Renault T, Cai Y, Bai C, Wang C, Huang J (2013) Complete genome sequence of acute viral necrosis virus associated with massive mortality outbreaks in the Chinese scallop, Chlamys farreri" Virol J 10(1) 110
- Malacoherpesviridae at the National Center for Biotechnology Information
- Viralzone: Malacoherpesviridae