- Bajaur District
- Buner District
- Upper Chitral District
- Lower Chitral District
- Lower Dir District (part of Dir District until 1996)
- Upper Dir District (part of Dir District until 1996)
- Malakand District
- Shangla District
- Swat District
Until 1970 the area was known as the Malakand Agency. In 1970, Malakand Division was formed from the princely states of Chitral, Dir and Swat (incorporated into West Pakistan in 1969) and an area around the Malakand Fort known as the Malakand Protected Area. The capital of Malakand Division is Saidu Sharif, with the largest city being Mingora. In late 2018, former Chitral District was bifurcated into Upper Chitral District, from Mastuj Tehsil, and Lower Chitral District, from Chitral Tehsil.
- Divisions/Districts of Pakistan Archived 2006-09-30 at the Wayback Machine
Note: Although divisions as an administrative structure has been abolished, the election commission of Pakistan still groups districts under the division names
- Profile of Pakistan's Tribal Areas
- "Chitral bifurcated into two districts". Chitral bifurcated into two districts - Chitral Today. Chitral Today. Retrieved 15 June 2020.