This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Type||International non-government organisation, NGO|
|Registration no.||Charity (UK) 1099776 Company (UK) 4785712 US EIN Number 98-0627052|
|Focus||Malaria, prevention, diagnosis, treatment, surveillance, operational research, health system strengthening, child health, integrated community case management of childhood illness, nutrition, and neglected tropical diseases|
Malaria Consortium is an international non-profit organisation specialising in the comprehensive control of malaria and other communicable diseases – particularly those affecting children under five. Its headquarters are in the United Kingdom, with regional offices in Africa and Asia, and country offices in Cambodia, Ethiopia, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nigeria, South Sudan, Thailand, and Uganda. Malaria Consortium has until recently also worked in Ghana, Senegal, and Zambia.
Established in 2003, Malaria Consortium works in Africa and Asia and aims to combat malaria and neglected tropical diseases and improve child health. It is a specialist technical organisation that works with governments and partners to strengthen health service delivery.
Malaria control is central to Malaria Consortium’s strategy, but the organisation also undertakes complementary work on child health, including integrated community case management of childhood illness, nutrition, and the control of neglected tropical diseases. The organisation aims to improve access to healthcare for communities in Africa and Asia, including children under five, pregnant women, and migrant populations.
It supports a range of programmes in disease prevention, diagnosis and treatment; disease control and elimination; health systems strengthening; research, monitoring and evaluation, and surveillance; behaviour change communication: and national and international advocacy, and policy development.
Malaria Consortium began as a research consortium within the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine and was originally funded solely by the UK Department for International Development (DFID), (the Overseas Development Administration before 1997).
Malaria Consortium publishes research in open access and scholarly journals. The organisation also produces learning materials which aim to support the advancement of policy and practice.
Board of Trustees
- Marcel Tanner (Chair)
- Canisius Anthony (Treasurer)
- Brian Greenwood
- Shas Sheehan
- Peter Potter-Lesage
- Joanna Schellenberg
- Nermeen Varawalla
- Anthony Davy
- Precious Lunga
- Simon Kay
- Neil Squires
- Allan Schapira
- Mark Clark
- Sarah Veilex
- Dinis S Singulane (Honorary Patron)
The majority of Malaria Consortium’s work is funded through grants, contracts and consultancy income. This is mainly restricted funding to deliver on a particular project in either a specific country or multiple countries.
In November 2016, charity evaluator GiveWell included Malaria Consortium in its list of top charities for that year, for the consortium's work on seasonal malaria chemoprevention, and published a review of the consortium's work on that front. GiveWell also expects Good Ventures, a foundation it works closely with, to grant the consortium $5.0 million out of Good Ventures' budget of $50 million to give to GiveWell top charities.
Malaria: blood, sweat and tears
Malaria: blood, sweat, and tears is a photographic exhibition that was conceived by Malaria Consortium and photographer Adam Nadel to highlight the complex relationship between malaria and poverty.
The images document the physical, emotional, economic and scientific impact of malaria, illustrating the effects of the disease on families, health workers, malaria researchers and local communities.
- "Malaria Consortium".
- "Publications". Malaria Consortium.
- "Charity overview". Charity Commission for England and Wales.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-12-24. Retrieved 2013-11-22.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Malaria Consortium – Seasonal Malaria Chemoprevention". GiveWell. November 2016. Retrieved November 30, 2016.
- "Malaria Consortium placed as a GiveWell top charity". Malaria Consortium. November 29, 2016. Retrieved November 30, 2016.
- Dylan Matthews (November 29, 2016). "These are the charities where your money will do the most good". Vox. Retrieved November 30, 2016.
- Natalie Crispin (November 29, 2016). "Our updated top charities for giving season 2016". The GiveWell Blog. Retrieved November 29, 2016.
- Adam Nadel. "Malaria: blood, sweat, and tears". Malaria Consortium. Retrieved November 30, 2016.
- "About the Exhibition | Malaria: blood, sweat, and tears". Malaria Consortium. Retrieved November 30, 2016.
The exhibition was first launched for World Malaria Day 2010 at the United Nations Headquarters in New York in the presence of UN Secretary General, Ban Ki-Moon.