|Commenced operations||31 January 2014|
|Hubs||Lilongwe International Airport|
|Company slogan||From the Warm Heart of Africa|
|Parent company||Malawian Government (51%)|
|Key people||Kassim Geresu (CEO)|
Malawian Airlines Limited is the flag carrier airline of Malawi, based in Lilongwe and with its hub at Lilongwe International Airport. It was established in 2012 after the liquidation of Air Malawi, the former national airline. Ethiopian Airlines operates it under a management contract and owns 49% of the airline after it emerged as the winner following competitive bidding.
The airline was formed in July 2013 following the collapse of Air Malawi, the hitherto national carrier, in February 2013, as a result of inability to pay its debts. A deal with Ethiopian Airlines, that would see this carrier having a 49% shareholding in Air Malawi, was finalised in July 2013 ; the agreement also contemplated the renaming of Air Malawi to Malawian Airlines Ltd.,
Operations commenced on 31 January 2014Blantyre–Lilongwe domestic route using 67-seater Bombardier Q400 equipment. Malawian launched its first international service to Harare on 3 February 2014 . Johannesburg was added to the route network two weeks later, on 17 February, and Dar es Salaam was incorporated on 18 February.serving the
The shareholders of the airline are the Government of Malawi (51%) and Ethiopian Airlines (49%). The government planned to offload 31% of its stake to private investors after a minimum period of 12 months after operations commence and it expected to earn US$6 million from this sale. In March 2016 Jimmy Lipunga, CEO of The Public Private Partnership Commission (PPPC), said that plans by the Malawi government to sell some shares in the airline to members of the public would depend on the airline attaining profitability.
Malawian Airlines has not been profitable since its launch in 2014. Few financial and other trends have been made available as yet (years ending 31 December):
|Number of employees (at year end)|
|Number of passengers (m)|
|Passenger load factor (%)|
|Number of aircraft (at year end)||2||2|
|Malawi||Blantyre||Chileka International Airport||31 January 2014||N/A|||
|Malawi||Lilongwe||Lilongwe International Airport Hub||N/A||N/A|||
|South Africa||Johannesburg||O. R. Tambo International Airport||17 February 2014||N/A|||
|Tanzania||Dar es Salaam||Julius Nyerere International Airport||18 February 2014||N/A|||
|Zambia||Lusaka||Kenneth Kaunda International Airport||17 February 2014||N/A|||
|Zimbabwe||Harare||Harare International Airport||3 February 2014||N/A|||
|Bombardier Dash 8||1||–||7||60||67|
- Mkandawire, Lucky (15 February 2014). "Malawian Airlines unveils Jburg route Feb 17: acquires Boeing 737-800 flight". Nyasa Times. Archived from the original on 15 February 2014.
- "Kassim Geresu Appointed As CEO of Malawian Airlines". Nazret.com. 6 October 2013. Archived from the original on 8 October 2013.
- Mkandawire, Lucky (19 February 2014). "Passengers express pride as Malawian Airlines inaugurates J'burg flight". Nyasa Times. Archived from the original on 20 February 2014.
- Moores, Victoria (26 February 2014). "Newly launched Malawian Airlines begins international flights". Air Transport World. Archived from the original on 27 February 2014.
- "243 lose their jobs at Air Malawi". Malawi Nyasa Times - Malawi breaking news in Malawi. Retrieved 24 April 2015.
- "Ethiopia, Malawi Air deal puts new pressure on Kenya Airways". Retrieved 24 April 2015.
- Moores, Victoria (9 July 2013). "Reports: Ethiopian Airlines, Air Malawi finalize deal". Air Transport World. Archived from the original on 11 July 2013.
- "Air Malawi Now To Be Called Malawian Airlines". Malawi Voice. 4 July 2013. Archived 19 February 2014 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Malawian Airlines Receives Another Aircraft". AllAfrica.com. 16 February 2014. Archived 19 February 2014 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Malawi Airlines Kick Start With A Domestic Flight: Blantyre-Lilongwe". Malawi Voice. 1 February 2014. Archived 19 February 2014 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Zimbabwe: Malawian Airways Lands in Zim". AllAfrica.com. The Herald. 5 February 2014. Archived 19 February 2014 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Ethiopian Strategic Partner, Malawian Airlines, Launches its First International flight to Johanne [sic]" (Press release). Ethiopian Airlines. 21 February 2014. Archived 28 February 2014 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Malawian Airlines". Retrieved 2016-10-11.
- Jassi, Kingsley (2014-02-05). "Malawi Airlines' shares on sale in a year". timesmediamw.com. Retrieved 2014-03-01.
- Kandiero, Caroline (2016-03-31). "Assessment positive on Malawian Airlines". timesmediamw.com. Retrieved 2016-06-21.
- "Malawian Airlines upbeat on returns". Business Malawi. 27 April 2015. Retrieved 21 June 2016.
- "Flight Schedule". Malawian Airlines. Retrieved 11 October 2016.
- Mkandawire, Lucky (14 February 2014). "Malawi Airlines [sic] inaugurates first domestic flight". Nyasa Times. Archived 3 January 2015 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Malawi Airlines launches Lilongwe to Lusaka non-stop service". Lusaka Voice. 2014-02-20. Retrieved 2014-03-01.
- "Malawian Airlines commences Harare flight". Malawi Nyasa Times - Malawi breaking news in Malawi. Retrieved 24 April 2015.
- "Malawian Airlines In-flight Services". Malawian Airlines. Retrieved 11 October 2016.
- "Malawian Airlines fleet". Planespotters.net. Retrieved 26 April 2015.[unreliable source?]
- "Malawian Airlines inaugurates first domestic flight". ch-aviation. Retrieved 27 April 2015.
- "Malawian Airlines flights - Fleet". South Africa Travel Online. Retrieved 27 April 2015.