This article may be expanded with text translated from the corresponding article in Malay. (November 2011) Click [show] for important translation instructions.
Type of site
|Headquarters||Miami, Florida, Kuala Lumpur|
|Launched||October 26, 2002|
The Malay Wikipedia (Malay: Wikipedia Bahasa Melayu, Jawi alphabet: ويکيڤيديا بهاس ملايو, abbreviation: mswiki) is the Malay edition of Wikipedia. It uses the Malay alphabet only and not the Jawi alphabet (with the exception of some cases). This edition was started on 26 October 2002. It has 365,202 articles as of June 2023 and is the 35th largest Wikipedia by number of articles. The system was activated by Wikipedia administrator Brion Vibber.
Despite the similarities between Malay and Indonesian, the Malay Wikipedia and Indonesian Wikipedia were started separately by two different user groups. The Indonesian Wikipedia was started about six months after the Malay Wikipedia was. As of 2009, the Indonesian Wikipedia had three times the number of active editors and articles the Malay Wikipedia had. In 2009 Andrew Lih wrote "Because these groups are drawn on national boundaries, merging is not likely to happen soon."
Starting 27 July 2016, file upload at the Malay Wikipedia (along with Czech, Spanish, Basque, Gujarati, Portuguese, Simple English, Tagalog and Swedish Wikipedia)[a] is no longer permitted, and users are instead redirected to Wikimedia Commons due to copyright infringement issues. However, file upload at the English, Indonesian and other Wikipedias remains operable.
Malay Wikipedia is having a steady increase in the number of contributors in the late 2010s and early 2020s.
In June 2020, it was the third most visited language Wikipedia in Malaysia with 11 million page views. It ranked below the English Wikipedia (59 million page views in Malaysia) and the Chinese Wikipedia (14 million page views in Malaysia) but above the Indonesian Wikipedia (only 1 million page views in Malaysia).
- 200,000 - March 21, 2013 - Belforte Monferrato
- 190,000 - February 25, 2013 - Galeri Petronas
- 178,000 - February 6, 2013 - Doubravice (Daerah České Budějovice)
- 125,000 - November 15, 2011 - Morbecque
- 120,000 - June 9, 2011 - La Biolle
- 115,000 - March 22, 2011 - Raj British
- 110,000 - February 23, 2011 - Oëlleville
- 105,000 - February 2, 2011 - Bassy
- 100,000 - January 9, 2011 - Pressigny-les-Pins
- Lih, Andrew. The Wikipedia Revolution: How a Bunch of Nobodies Created the World's Greatest Encyclopedia. Hyperion, New York. 2009. 1st ed. ISBN 978-1-4013-0371-6 (paper).
- ^ Open content encyclopedia ... Wikipedia ... in Malay
- ^ Contributions of Brion VIBBER
- ^ Lih, p. 136.
- ^ "Mswiki - Statistics Wikiscan". ms.wikiscan.org. Retrieved 2023-01-30.
- ^ Page views by country - Malaysian Wikipedia, Wikimedia Statistics, read on July 13th 2020
- ^ Page views by country - English Wikipedia, Wikimedia Statistics, July 13th 2020
- ^ Page views by country - Chinese Wikipedia, Wikimedia Statistics, July 13th 2020
- ^ Page views by country - Indonesian Wikipedia, Wikimedia Statistics, July 13th 2020
- ^ See Commons:Commons:Turning off local uploads for more details.
- (in Malay) Mobile version of Malay Wikipedia
- (in Malay) History of Malay Wikipedia