Malaysia–South Korea relations
Malaysia–South Korea relations (Korean: 말레이시아 - 한국 관계 ; Malay: Hubungan Malaysia–Korea Selatan) are the bilateral foreign relations between the two countries Malaysia and South Korea. Malaysia has an embassy in Seoul, and South Korea has an embassy in Kuala Lumpur. The two countries established relations in 1960.
Movement of people
The number of South Korean expatriates in Malaysia nearly tripled between 2005 and 2007, reaching 14,934 individuals, and is expected to continue to grow rapidly. Furthermore, around 200,000 South Korean tourists came to Malaysia in 2006; Kota Kinabalu was their most popular destination.
Malaysians in South Korea form a much smaller community. The Malaysian ambassador to South Korea, M. Santhananaban, estimated in 2005 that there were 400 Malaysian international students in the country. Their presence in South Korea is an outgrowth of Mahathir Mohamad's "Look East" policy, which encouraged Malaysians to learn from and emulate the attitudes and work ethic of Japan and South Korea. In 2008, the South Korean government gave out scholarships totalling RM8 million to forty-one Malaysian students to support their pursuit of master's degrees, doctoral degrees, or other post-graduate research in South Korea.
- Ariffin, Roslan (8 March 2007), "Najib Dijangka Kukuhkan Hubungan Dua Hala M'sia-Korea Selatan (Najib plans strong Malaysia-South Korea bilateral relations)", Bernama, retrieved 4 May 2007
- 재외국민/단체 (Overseas citizens/groups), Seoul, South Korea: Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade, 2008, retrieved 10 September 2008
- "2005년도 재외동포현황 (2005 Present Status of Overseas Compatriots)". Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade, Republic of Korea. 2005. Retrieved 14 May 2007.
- Phoon, Zoe (26 November 2007). "'Hwan Young Hap Ni Da'". New Straits Times. Archived from the original on 8 January 2008. Retrieved 1 January 2008.
- Yoon, Won-sup (12 December 2005), "Roh's Visit Boost Bilateral Relations: Ambassador", The Korea Times, retrieved 4 May 2007
- Machado, Kit G. (June 1987), "Malaysian Cultural Relations with Japan and South Korea in the 1980s: Looking East", Asian Survey, 27 (6): 638–660, doi:10.1525/as.1987.27.6.01p00645
- "Korean gov't awards scholarships to Malaysian students", The Star, Malaysia, 31 August 2008, retrieved 23 September 2008
- Persatuan Pelajar Malaysia Korea (Malaysian Students Association in Korea)