Malaysia–Saudi Arabia relations
Malaysia–Saudi Arabia relations (Arabic: ماليزيا–السعودية علاقات; Malay: Hubungan Malaysia–Arab Saudi) refers to the current and historical relationship between Malaysia and Saudi Arabia. Saudi Arabia has an embassy in Kuala Lumpur, while Malaysia has an embassy in Riyadh and a consulate general in Jeddah. Relations, both diplomatic and economic, are quite close between the two Muslim-majority Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) members.
The relations between both countries since the establishment of diplomatic relations in the early 1960 is based on mutual respect and work to develop relations in all fields. Saudi Arabia opened its embassy in Kuala Lumpur on 1961 along with the opening of Malaysian embassy in Riyadh. Since then, the relations are good. Saudi Arabian King Faisal made his first royal visit to Malaysia in the summer of 1970. This was followed by the visit of King Abdullah at the end of January 2006 aimed to discover the new area for co-operation. In early 2017, King Salman visit Malaysia to increase the economic ties between both countries. Following his visit, the King also received his honorary Doctor of Letters from University Malaya and a honorary doctorate of Philosophy in Political Science from the International Islamic University of Malaysia.
Saudi Arabia is the second largest Middle East trading partner for Malaysia with 60% of Malaysia's total exports to Saudi Arabia comprising palm oil and other palm-based agricultural products, machinery, equipment and parts, processed food and electrical and electronic products. Until 2016, more than 100,000 Saudis have visited Malaysia with bilateral trade reach more than RM13.2 billion. In 2017, Saudi Aramco has signed a $7 billion deal for a 50% stake in a mega Malaysian oil refinery project in Johor with Petronas. Another seven memorandum of understanding (MOUs) in construction, halal co-operation, aerospace and hajj services was signed in the same year with an estimated total value of about RM9.74 billion.
- "Embassy of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia in Malaysia". Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Saudi Arabia. Retrieved 28 February 2017.
- "Official Website of Embassy of Malaysia, Riyadh". Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Malaysia. Retrieved 28 February 2017.
- "Official Website of Consulate General of Malaysia, Jeddah". Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Malaysia. Retrieved 28 February 2017.
- "The Saudi Relation with Malaysia". Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Saudi Arabia. Retrieved 28 February 2017.
- "Enhanced Malaysia-Saudi relations". My Sinchew. 28 February 2017. Archived from the original on 1 March 2017. Retrieved 1 March 2017.
- "Malaysia-Saudi ties at 'all-time high'". New Straits Times. 27 February 2017. Retrieved 1 March 2017.
- Cecilia Kok (1 March 2017). "Company signs share purchase agreement for Petronas' Rapid project in Johor". The Star. Retrieved 1 March 2017.
- "Saudi Aramco inks $7 billion deal for Malaysian oil venture". USA Today. 28 February 2017. Retrieved 1 March 2017.
- "Malaysia, Saudi Arabia firms sign $3 billion worth of deals". The Straits Times. 28 February 2017. Retrieved 1 March 2017.
- "'Members' surprised by Saudi anti-terror coalition plan". BBC News. 16 December 2015. Retrieved 17 December 2015.
|This article about foreign relations is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|