Malaysian Public Works Department
|Jabatan Kerja Raya Malaysia (JKR)|
|Executive agency overview|
Jalan Sultan Salahuddin
|Parent department||Ministry of Works Malaysia|
The Malaysian Public Works Department (Malay: Jabatan Kerja Raya Malaysia), abbreviated JKR, is the federal government department in Malaysia under Ministry of Works Malaysia (MOW) which is responsible for construction and maintenance of public infrastructure in West Malaysia and Labuan. In Sabah and Sarawak, a separate entity of Public Works Department exists under respective state government's jurisdiction but both departments are also subordinate to the parent department at the same time.
- 1 History
- 2 List of JKR's branches
- 2.1 Building Branches (Cawangan-Cawangan Bangunan)
- 2.2 Road Branch (Cawangan Jalan)
- 2.3 Slope Engineering Branch (Cawangan Kejuruteraan Cerun)
- 2.4 Electrical Branch (Cawangan Kejuruteraan Elektrik)
- 2.5 Mechanical Branch (Cawangan Kejuruteraan Mekanikal)
- 2.6 Military Works Branch (Cawangan Kerja Tentera)
- 3 List of JKR infrastructures
- 4 See also
- 5 External links
The Public Works Department (PWD) was established in 1872 with Major J.F.A McNair as the first head of the organization.(taken from JKR Malaysia website : http://www.jkr.gov.my/app-jkr/page.php?id=74)
List of JKR's branches
Building Branches (Cawangan-Cawangan Bangunan)
The JKR's Building Branches is responsible for building and maintaining government buildings in Malaysia such as public government offices, schools, hospitals, police and army facilities, port and airports etc. It consists of:-
- General Building Works Branch (Cawangan Kerja Bangunan Am)
- Health Works Branch (Cawangan Kerja Kesihatan)
- Security Works Branch (Cawangan Kerja Keselamatan)
- Education Works Branch (Cawangan Kerja Pendidikan)
- Airport and Maritime Works Branch (Cawangan Kerja Penerbangan Udara dan Maritim)
Road Branch (Cawangan Jalan)
Slope Engineering Branch (Cawangan Kejuruteraan Cerun)
The JKR's Slope Engineering Branch is responsible for monitoring and maintaining all slopes in Malaysia.
Electrical Branch (Cawangan Kejuruteraan Elektrik)
The JKR's Electrical Branch is responsible for installing, maintaining and wiring electrical components such as the installation of street lights and traffic lights on roads, electrical wiring for government buildings, etc.
Mechanical Branch (Cawangan Kejuruteraan Mekanikal)
The JKR's Mechanical Branch is to maintain machinery and mechanical construction for the department.
Military Works Branch (Cawangan Kerja Tentera)
The JKR's Military Works Branch is responsible for the construction and maintains all military bases and facilities in either Army, Navy, Air Force, Police and Maritime Enforcement Agency.