Malaysians in the United Kingdom
59,000 (2013 ONS estimate)
|Regions with significant populations|
|Regions: Greater London, South East England, East of England amongst others
Cities: London, Portsmouth, Sheffield, Leeds, Manchester amongst others
|British English, Malaysian English, Malay, Malaysian Mandarin, other varieties of Chinese|
|Islam, Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism|
|Related ethnic groups|
|Malaysians, Singaporean British, Oriental British, British Chinese, British Asian, British Indian|
Malaysians in the United Kingdom are British citizens who are of Malaysian descent or Malaysian citizens residing in the United Kingdom. The Malaysian British community bears a similar trend to the British Chinese and Singaporean British communities in terms of population spread and culture. The Malaysian community in the UK is one of the west's largest, this is mainly due to the influence of the British Empire on Malaysia. The 2001 UK Census recorded 49,886 Malaysian-born people. The Office for National Statistics estimates that 59,000 Malaysian-born immigrants were resident in the UK in 2013. In December 2008 it was reported that over 30,000 Malaysians who entered the UK temporarily have overstayed their visas. In 2013, there were 14,500 Malaysians studying in the tertiary level in the United Kingdom, making Malaysians the one of the largest overseas student group in the United Kingdom and making the United Kingdom the country with the 2nd most number of Malaysian students.
This is a list of Malaysian expatriates in the United Kingdom and British citizens of Malaysian origin.
- Siti Aishah Abdul Wahab - Left-wing politician
- Arul Suppiah - Cricketer
- Tash Aw - Author
- Ungku Abdul Aziz - Academic
- Betty Boo - Singer
- Jimmy Choo - Shoe designer
- Asha Gill - Actress/TV presenter
- Stephen Rahman-Hughes - Actor
- Syed Adney Syed Hussein - Footballer
- Sultanah Helen Ibrahim - Malaysian royalty
- Raja Petra Kamarudin - Politician
- Sybil Kathigasu - The only Malayan woman to be awarded the George Medal for bravery
- Shaun Maloney - Footballer
- Norman Musa - Chef/Restaurateur
- Ida Nerina - Actress
- Zuleikha Robinson - English actress and singer
- Elaine Tan - Actress
- Phil Wang - Comedian
- James Wong - Ethnobotanist
- Sufiah Yusof - Former maths prodigy
- Pik-Sen Lim - Actress
- Deanna Yusoff - Malaysian actress
- Sofea Jane - Malaysian actress
- Anthony Khong - Ivybridge Town Mayor (2017)
- "Country-of-birth database". Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. Archived from the original on 17 June 2009. Retrieved 8 July 2010.
- "Table 1.3: Overseas-born population in the United Kingdom, excluding some residents in communal establishments, by sex, by country of birth, January 2013 to December 2013". Office for National Statistics. 2 July 2015. Retrieved 5 July 2015. Figure given is the central estimate. See the source for 95 per cent confidence intervals.
- "Some 30,000 Malaysians overstay in Britain: report". China Daily. 23 December 2009. Retrieved 15 February 2009.
- , Malaysians in United Kingdom safe from St Jude storm, 2013 http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Nation/2013/10/28/united-kingdom-st-jude-storm-malaysians-safe.aspx, retrieved 28 October 2013 Missing or empty
|This article about an ethnic group in Europe is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|