Malcolm A. Love Library
|Size||2.2 million (books); 72,697 serials; 4.6 million microfilms 41,000 audio and video, 139,000 E-Books, 6 floors (2 below ground/4 above ground), 500,000-square-feet|
|Access and use|
|Budget||$10.3 million annually|
|Staff||133 (18 librarians; 31 library assistants; 27 academic related; 44 student employees)|
Malcolm A. Love Library (commonly referred to as Love Library), opened in 1971, is the primary academic library building on the campus of San Diego State University (SDSU) in San Diego, California. Along with the Library Addition, it now houses the Library & Information Access.
The Library located in a central position on the SDSU campus, occupies more than 500,000 square feet (46,000 m2), seats more than 3,000 people, and circulates more than 488,000 books yearly (as of 2011). It has more than 2.2 million volumes, 4.6 million microform items, and 140,000 maps.
The Library was expanded with the opening of the Library Addition in 1996, a two-story underground addition to the library, includes a state-of-the-art Media Center, 24/7 Study Area, and two electronic classrooms.
National Center for the Study of Children’s Literature
In cooperation with SDSU's Department of English and Comparative Literature, the Library is the home to the National Center for the Study of Children’s Literature, which recently received a $1,000,000 gift donation by way of the Christopher D. and Karen Sickels Endowment for Special Collection in Children’s Literature.
Federal Depository Library
The Library has been a selective depository library since 1962, receiving most of the items distributed by the U.S. Government Printing Office through its Federal Depository Library Program (FDLP).
State Depository Library
- See Map Collection
The Library's Map Collection, consists of over 135,000 sheet maps and more than 1,000 atlases and gazetteers. The collection is worldwide in scope, with an emphasis on San Diego, California, the United States of America, and Baja California. The collection has general, worldwide topographical, nautical, and aeronautical coverage. Most of the collection dates from 1945 to the present.
The Library's Special Collections and University Archives houses rare, fine, unique, and valuable books, periodicals, manuscripts, and documents which require security and care in handling. Other valuable historical items such as photographs, prints, postcards, memorabilia, scrapbooks, and oral histories are also held in Special Collections.
- Art collection
- Center for Regional History
- NRA Packages, a mural painted in 1936 by Genevieve Burgeson Bredo, and for many years thought lost, has been restored and is on display at the foot of the Library Addition stairs. The mural was discovered in 2004 behind ceiling tiles inside SDSU's Hardy Memorial Tower, which was part of the university's first library. Painted in a variety of media, it portrays three men unloading National Recovery Act (NRA) packages from a van near San Diego's Hillcrest neighborhood. A second, larger mural, George Sorenson's San Diego Industry, remains in Hardy Tower. This mural depicts the successive stages of tuna fishing and canning, along with the multi-ethnic work force involved in that industry. The library hopes to remove, restore and relocate this mural.
Dr. Malcolm A. Love, Ph.D., was the fourth (4th) President of San Diego State University (SDSU), serving from 1952 to 1971. Prior to his Presidency, Dr. Love was President of the University of Nevada for two (2) years. During his nineteen (19) years as President of SDSU, he was able to transform the institution from a teacher's college into a university. In 1966, the Carnegie Corporation named Dr. Love one of the best college Presidents in the country. With the extraordinary growth of students, faculty and facilities, there were plans for new library to be named in honor of Dr. Love. The Library was dedicated to Dr. Love in May 1971.
Other Libraries at San Diego State University
Other unofficial libraries on the SDSU campus include:
- Cross-Cultural Center Library
- Art, Music & Dance:
- Audio-Visual Library
- Slide Library
- Career counseling:
- Career Center Library
- Career Resource Library
- Student services:
- Test Library
- Instructional services:
- Special Collections and University Archives: Malcolm A. Love Papers, 1937-1971
- Library Facts (Oct. 21, 2011)
- SDSU's Love Library Reaches for Excellence (updated Nov. 9, 2004)
- SDSU Library Receives $1 Million Donation for Children’s Literature Collection: Christopher and Karen Sickels’ endowment will support SDSU’s National Center for the Study of Children’s Literature (Wednesday, Sept. 10, 2008)
- Library Guide for United States Government Publications (accessed Oct. 21, 2011)
- California State Document Depositories (accessed Oct. 21, 2011)
- Library website
- The Library Catalog
- Library Special Collections
- Friends of the SDSU Library
- SDSU homepage