Shemar Moore as Malcolm Winters (2014)
|The Young and the Restless character|
|Portrayed by||Shemar Moore (1994–2005, 2014)
Darius McCrary (2009–11)
|First appearance||May 5, 1994|
|Last appearance||September 11, 2014|
|Created by||William J. Bell|
|Introduced by||Edward J. Scott (1994)
Maria Arena Bell and Paul Rauch (2009)
Jill Farren Phelps (2014)
Malcolm Winters is a fictional character from the American CBS soap opera The Young and the Restless. Originally portrayed by Shemar Moore for two intervals, between 1994 and 2005, Darius McCrary took over the role from December 29, 2009 to October 17, 2011. Moore reprised the role for a guest appearance in September 2014.
Malcolm is the half-brother of longtime character, Neil Winters. His history includes a romance with Neil's wife, Drucilla Winters, his history as a photographer, and marriages to Olivia Winters and Sofia Dupre.
The role was originated by Shemar Moore on May 5, 1994, who received a Daytime Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actor for his portrayal in 2000, with nominations for Outstanding Younger Actor in 1996 and 1997. After much speculation that Moore would exit the soap opera in 2000, he confirmed that he would depart at the end of his contract in the spring of 2001. However, in February 2001, Moore announced that he had extended his contract through the end of that year. In December, he announced that he was officially leaving The Young and the Restless, and last aired on February 14, 2002. In September 2004, after a two-year absence, Moore was announced to reprise the role. Of Moore's return, former co-head writer John F. Smith stated: "We are thrilled to have Shemar back with us. His story will be something very unexpected, off the page, and exciting. The man is going to have impact." Moore made his return on November 1, 2004. However, within weeks, Moore's publicist revealed that his return would be short-lived, as he had only signed a six-month contract. The publicist stated: "He's auditioning now [for other projects] and he has two or three films coming out next year. You know how this industry is. At least [The Young and the Restless will] have him for six months." Moore made his final appearance as the character on September 1, 2005.
In September 2009, it was announced that the soap opera had put out a casting call for the role of Malcolm. In November, Darius McCrary was announced to be joining the cast, in his first daytime television role, with his first appearance on December 29, 2009. In September 2011, it was announced that McCrary had been let go from The Young and the Restless. He made his final appearance on October 17, 2011. On July 23, 2014, CBS Daytime announced that Moore would reprise the role of Malcolm for a two episode guest stint starting on September 10, 2014.
Malcolm first arrives in Genoa City in 1994, determined to get to know his estranged half-brother, Neil Winters. Neil, at first, wanted nothing to do with his rebellious younger half-brother, but eventually decided to give him a second chance. With the help of Blade Bladeson, Malcolm became Genoa City's most prominent photographer.
He soon met Drucilla Barber, and was instantly smitten with her, but nothing becomes of the relationship and she married Neil. Malcolm and Drucilla longed for one another and had sex. However, Drucilla had taken a good dose of cold medication, and thus mistook Malcolm for Neil. Drucilla called out for Neil, which made Malcolm realize her advances were not intended for him. The following morning Malcolm realized what a mistake he had made and confides in Dru's sister, Olivia Barber.
Nine months later, Drucilla gave birth to a daughter, Lily Winters. Having convinced herself that Neil is Lily's father, Dru forgave Malcolm and Olivia soon fixed him up with her hospital colleague, Keesha Monroe. They fell in love and married, just before Keesha died of AIDS.
Malcolm then developed a relationship with recently widowed Olivia and grew very attached to her son Nathan Hastings, Jr. Malcolm and Olivia were married in 1997. One year later, Malcolm's ex-girlfriend Callie Rogers arrived in town and Olivia became jealous that Malcolm was spending so much time with her. Olivia's insecurity ultimately destroyed her marriage to Malcolm and he rebounded back to Callie. The two became engaged but Callie soon broke it off and left town. In the meantime, Malcolm continued his close relationship with his former stepson Nate, who views Malcolm as his father.
Malcolm and Neil soon found themselves fighting over a woman, attorney Alex Perez. Malcolm and Alex fell in love and become engaged, though she was also developing feelings for Neil. Malcolm catches them together and left. While Malcolm driving over a bridge in Kenya, the bridge collapses and Malcolm is presumed dead.
Malcolm returned to town two years later resenting Neil, believing he did not do enough to rescue him in Kenya. Eventually the two buried the hatchet. While in town, Malcolm briefly had a fling with Adrienne Markham, Damon Porter's ex-wife.
Malcolm then demanded that Dru take a paternity test to determine once and for all if he is Lily's biological father. When Malcolm was proven to be Lily's father, he and Dru decide to keep it a secret and he left town. While Malcolm is gone, Lily and Neil discovered the truth about her paternity, but were unable to contact him.
Four years later, Malcolm returned to Genoa City while secretly working undercover as a corporate spy for Tucker McCall. He learns that Lily had been diagnosed with ovarian cancer and attempted to support her while clashing with Neil. However, the two eventually put aside their differences and reconnected as brothers. Malcolm took a job as a photographer at Restless Style magazine and hired his adopted nephew, Devon Hamilton, as his assistant. Months after Malcolm mentioned he was engaged, his fiancée, Sofia Dupre, arrived in town. She worked for Tucker and had a business clash with Neil, and they ended up having an affair and not telling Malcolm in order to act like it never happened. Malcolm and Sofia were married soon after.
Sofia is later found out to be pregnant, though the paternity of the baby was left undetermined. While pregnant, Sofia was forced to tell Malcolm the truth about her affair with Neil, and that she wasn't sure of the paternity of the baby. Sofia gave birth to a boy named Moses Winters, after her father. Afterward, a paternity test showed that Neil is Moses's father. Devastated, Malcolm had to make a decision about his future with Moses, and visited Sofia in the hospital and asked her to sign divorce papers and tells her that he will be moving away, even though Sofia wanted to work out their marriage. Malcolm said goodbye to all his friends in Genoa City and headed for the airport.
In September 2014, Malcolm returned to Genoa City, planning to overcome his differences with Neil, and help him cope with his sudden blindness. The two re-establish their relationship as brothers and Malcolm heads off to Virginia.
- Carpenter, Anne. "Y&R Daily Recaps Archives - 2009". SoapCentral. Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- Carpenter, Anne. "Y&R Daily Recaps Archives - 2011". SoapCentral. Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- Kroll, Dan J. (19 May 2000). "Y&R Actors Rack Up Firsts at Daytime Emmys". SoapCentral. Retrieved 21 August 2012.
- "1-19-99 Soap Opera Magazine SHEMAR MOORE-TONYA LEE WILLIAMS". Soap Opera World. Retrieved 21 August 2012.
- Kroll, Dan J. (16 February 2000). "Shemar Moore: More Y&R would jeopardize my future". SoapCentral. Retrieved 21 August 2012.
- Kroll, Dan J. (4 April 2000). "Moore confusion surrounding Y&R actor's future". SoapCentral. Retrieved 21 August 2012.
- Kroll, Dan J. (4 June 2000). "Is Malcolm Staying in Genoa City?". SoapCentral. Retrieved 21 August 2012.
- Kroll, Dan J. (25 December 2000). "Shemar Moore will leave when contract expires". SoapCentral. Retrieved 21 August 2012.
- Kroll, Dan J. (2 February 2001). "Moore extends stay at Y&R". SoapCentral. Retrieved 21 August 2012.
- Kroll, Dan J. (28 December 2001). "Moore Says He's Definitely Leaving Y&R". SoapCentral. Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- Kroll, Dan J. (2 February 2002). "A week of three Y&R goodbyes". SoapCentral. Retrieved 21 August 2012.
- Kroll, Dan J. (12 September 2004). "Y&R confirms Shemar Moore will return". SoapCentral. Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- Kroll, Dan J. (16 November 2004). "Rep says Moore will be exiting Y&R in '05". SoapCentral. Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- Honzay, Laura. "Y&R Daily Recaps Archives - Thursday, September 1, 2005". SoapCentral. Retrieved 21 August 2012.
- Fairman, Michael (22 December 2009). "The Darius McCrary Interview". Michael Fairman On-Air On-Soaps. Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- Kroll, Dan J. (15 September 2009). "Y&R recasting the role of Malcolm?". SoapCentral. Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- Kroll, Dan J. (17 November 2009). "Family Matters star cast as Y&R's new Malcolm Winters". SoapCentral. Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- Kroll, Dan J. (23 December 2009). "McCrary: He is Shemar and I am Darius". SoapCentral. Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- Kroll, Dan J. (13 September 2011). "Darius McCrary latest star ousted from Y&R". SoapCentral. Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- "The Young and the Restless: Monday, October 17, 2011 - on CBS.com". CBS.com. Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- "Shemar Moore Returns!". CBS Daytime. Sony Pictures Television. July 23, 2014. Retrieved July 23, 2014.