Malda, West Bengal
This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Malda city skyline, Adina Mosque, Manikchak, malda, University of Gour Banga
|Railway Station||Malda Town|
|No. of Wards||29|
|• Body||English Bazar Municipality|
|• Chairman||Nihar Ranjan Ghosh|
|• Metropolitan City||81 km2 (31 sq mi)|
|Elevation||17 m (56 ft)|
|• Metropolitan City||324,237|
|• Rank||6th in West Bengal|
|• Density||4,000/km2 (10,000/sq mi)|
|• Additional official||English|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
732101, 732102, 732103, 732141, 732142, 732128
|Lok Sabha constituency||Maldaha Dakshin|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||English Bazar|
Malda is a city and a municipality in Malda district in the Indian state of West Bengal. It serves as the district headquarters. It is the sixth largest city in West Bengal. Malda is a municipal corporation with two municipalities, English Bazar Municipality and Old Malda municipality. This is an Undeveloped City becoming bigger since 1925-1930 and the city is rapidly growing and its population had now cross over a half of million people. English Bazar is the divisional headquarters of Malda Division in this state.
- 1 Geography
- 2 Civic administration
- 3 Transport
- 4 Demographics
- 5 Education
- 5.1 Colleges and universities
- 5.2 Universities
- 5.3 General degree Colleges
- 5.4 Engineering colleges
- 5.5 ITI colleges
- 5.6 Medical colleges
- 5.7 Boys' high schools
- 5.8 Girls' high schools
- 5.9 Hindi language schools
- 5.10 Muslim schools
- 5.11 Rail schools
- 5.12 English medium schools
- 5.13 Kendriya Vidyalaya
- 6 Hospitals and health care
- 7 Media And Newspapers
- 8 Notable people
- 9 Gallery
- 10 See also
- 11 References
- 12 Further reading
- 13 External links
Malda city is located at Malda district, West Bengal. It has an average elevation of 17 metres (56 feet). It is on the western bank of the river Mahananda.As in much of Bengal, the weather is usually extremely humid and tropical. Temperatures can reach as high as 46 °C during the day in May and June and fall as low as 4 °C overnight in December and January.
There are two municipalities in Malda. The English Bazar Municipality and the municipality of Old Malda.
The municipality of English Bazar is divided into 29 wards. The Trinamool Congress with 15 councillors holds power (as of 2015).
NH 34 crosses through the city. The Gour Kanya Bus Terminus serves as bus depot for both Private Buses and Government Bus Service which is operated by the NBSCT (North Bengal State Transport Corporation)
There are four railway stations which serves the metropolitan city. These are Malda Town Railway Station which serves the English Bazar area. Second one is Old Malda Railway Station which serves the Old Malda area. The third one is Malda Court Railway Station which serves the Mangalbari and Naldubi area and Gour Malda Railway Station which serves the Mohhadipur and Gauḍa (city) area. Malda's main railway station is Malda Town. It is a busy station and all trains stop here.
Malda Airport (IATA: LDA, ICAO: VEMH) was closed in 1972 due to the Bangladesh War. Before that there were direct daily flights from Malda to Kolkata, Delhi, and Guwahati. In 2014 direct helicopter services were started between Malda and Kolkata, the capital of West Bengal, by the government of West Bengal. As of 2017 the airport is under construction and the flight service will start very soon.
As of the[update] 2011 census, English Bazar municipality had a population of 216,083 and the metropolitan city had a population of 324,237. The municipality had a sex ratio of 877 females per 1,000 males and 14.9% of the population were under six years old. Effective literacy was 84.69%; male literacy was 85.44% and female literacy was 83.86%.
Colleges and universities
Several colleges and universities are in and around English Bazar. The largest is the University of Gour Banga, established in 2008. Almost all the 28 colleges in Malda, Uttar Dinajpur and Dakshin Dinajpur districts, except for Raiganj University College, are affiliated with it.
Other notable institutions include Malda College, established on 23 July 1944, the oldest higher educational institution in the city; and Malda Women's College, the only women's college in the city. English Bazar has three engineering colleges:Ghani Khan Choudhury Institute of Engineering & Technology established in 2010 is a Centrally Funded Technical Institute under Ministry of Human Resource Development Government of India; IMPS College of Engineering and Technology, established in 2003; and Malda Polytechnic, one of the oldest and best polytechnic colleges in West Bengal
Malda Medical College and Hospital is the only medical college.
General degree Colleges
- Ghani Khan Choudhury Institute of Engineering & Technology (GKCIET)
- IMPS College of Engineering and Technology
- ITI Malda
- Malda Polytechnic
Boys' high schools
- Badalmoni High School
- Bibhuti Bhusan High School
- Lalit Mohan Shyam Mohini High School
- Maheshmati Dhirendranath Saha Vidyabhaban
- Malanchapally High School
- Malda Bibhuti Bhushan High School
- Malda Town High School
- Malda Umesh Chandra Bastuhara Vidyalaya
- Malda Zilla School
- Ramakrishna Mission Vivekananda Vidyamandir
- UCB High School
Girls' high schools
- Barlow Girls' High School
- Chintamani Chamatkar Girls' High School
- Jalalia Girls' High School
- Kanya Sikshalaya
- Malda Girls High School
- Nivedita Girls High School
- Ramkinkar Balika Vidyashram
- Thakur Anukul Chandra Girls High School
Hindi language schools
- J M S Hindi High School
- Al Ameen Mission Academy
- Malda Model Madrasa
- Malda English Medium Madrasa
- Tarbiyah Cambridge International School
English medium schools
- Daffodils English Academy
- Holy Child English Academy
- North Point English Academy
- Swami Vivekananda Academy
- The St. Xavier's School
- Usha Martin School, Malda
- Delhi Public World School
- St. Mary's school
- Don Bosco school
- Kendriya Vidyalaya, Malda
- Kendriya Vidyalaya, Aradhpur (Near BSF Camp)
Hospitals and health care
Malda is becoming the medical hub of this region. Malda Medical College and Hospital is a top class hospital in the district and also nearby district. There are lots of primary healthcare centers in the city. Private nursing homes, a pathology centre, clinics, and medical stores are present.
Malda Medical College and Hospital
Malda Railway Hospital
Malda Railway Hospital is established to serve health care for railway needs. It is situated near the Malda Town Railway Station.
Media And Newspapers
All national channels and also some local media channels like Malda Today, High TV, Sabar Cable, Sabar Monoranjan, MCN News, CCN and DAM's TV are local channels which are operated throughout the city. And also serves nearby districts news like North Dinajpur, South Dinajpur, and Murshidabad
- Aamader Malda
- Guide Malda
- Rupantare Pathe
- Uttarbanga Sangbad
- English Bazar (community development block)
- Malda Museum
- List of cities in West Bengal
- List of metropolitan area in West Bengal
- "Provisional Population Totals, Census of India 2011; Cities having population 1 lakh and above" (pdf). Office of the Registrar General & Census Commissioner, India. Retrieved 27 March 2012.
- "Fact and Figures". www.wb.gov.in. Retrieved 15 January 2019.
- "52nd REPORT OF THE COMMISSIONER FOR LINGUISTIC MINORITIES IN INDIA" (PDF). nclm.nic.in. Ministry of Minority Affairs. p. 85. Archived from the original (PDF) on 25 May 2017. Retrieved 15 January 2019.
- "Urban Agglomerations/Cities having population 1 lakh and above" (PDF). Provisional Population Totals, Census of India 2011. Retrieved 10 October 2011.
- "Maps, Weather, and Airports for Ingraj Bazar,India". fallingrain.com.
- "Provisional Population Totals, Census of India 2011; Urban Agglomerations/Cities having population 1 lakh and above" (pdf). Office of the Registrar General & Census Commissioner, India. Retrieved 27 March 2012.
- Chakrabarti D.K. (1992). Notes on the archaeology of Maldaha and West Dinajpur districts, West Bengal. South Asian Studies, 9:pp. 123–135
Gour-Pandua travel guide from Wikivoyage