Maleficent: Mistress of Evil
|Maleficent: Mistress of Evil|
|Directed by||Joachim Rønning|
|Edited by||Richard Francis-Bruce|
|Distributed by||Walt Disney Studios|
Maleficent: Mistress of Evil is an upcoming 2019 American fantasy adventure film produced by Walt Disney Pictures, directed by Joachim Rønning, and written by Linda Woolverton, Micah Fitzerman-Blue and Noah Harpster. It is a sequel to the 2014 film Maleficent, with Angelina Jolie returning to portray the title role. Elle Fanning, Sam Riley, Imelda Staunton, Juno Temple and Lesley Manville also return to their previous roles, with Harris Dickinson replacing Brenton Thwaites from the first film, and Michelle Pfeiffer, Ed Skrein and Chiwetel Ejiofor joining the cast as new characters.
After the release of the first film in May 2014, Jolie stated a sequel was possible. The project was officially announced the following June and Jolie signed on in April 2016. Rønning, who co-directed Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017) for Disney, was hired to direct the film in October and the rest of the cast was added or confirmed in May 2018, with filming beginning that month at Pinewood Studios in England, lasting through August.
Maleficent: Mistress of Evil is scheduled to be released on October 18, 2019.
The official synopsis reads:
A fantasy adventure that picks up several years after Maleficent, in which audiences learned of the events that hardened the heart of Disney’s most notorious villain and drove her to curse a baby Princess Aurora, Maleficent II continues to explore the complex relationship between the horned fairy (Angelina Jolie) and the soon to be Queen (Elle Fanning), as they form new alliances and face new adversaries in their struggle to protect the moors and the magical creatures that reside within.
- Angelina Jolie as Maleficent
- Elle Fanning as Aurora
- Michelle Pfeiffer as Queen Ingrith
- Ed Skrein
- Sam Riley as Diaval
- Harris Dickinson as Prince Phillip
- Imelda Staunton as Knotgrass
- Juno Temple as Thistlewit
- Lesley Manville as Flittle
- Chiwetel Ejiofor
- Robert Lindsay as King John
- Warwick Davis
- Jenn Murray
- David Gyasi
- Judith Shekoni as Shrike
- John Carew
On June 3, 2014, following the release of the first film, Angelina Jolie hinted that a sequel to Maleficent was a possibility. On June 15, 2015, Walt Disney Pictures announced that the sequel was in the works and that Linda Woolverton would return to write the screenplay of the film. Although Jolie's return to the sequel was not yet certain, the script was intended to be written with her in mind. In addition, Joe Roth was reported to return as producer of the film. On April 25, 2016, Disney officially confirmed Jolie's return as the title character. On August 29, 2017, it was reported that Jez Butterworth would rewrite Woolverton's script while Roth was confirmed as returning as producer. In September 2017, Jolie stated that they "have been working on the script and this is going to be a really strong sequel." On October 3, 2017, Deadline reported that the film would be directed by Joachim Rønning and it would start filming in the first quarter of 2018.
In April 2018, Ed Skrein was cast in the film to play the main villain role, with Elle Fanning returning to play Princess Aurora from the previous film. Michelle Pfeiffer was also added as character described as a queen, later clarified to be an evil queen named Queen Ingrith.
In May 2018, it was announced that Harris Dickinson would replace Brenton Thwaites in the role of Prince Phillip, due to scheduling conflicts with the latter actor. Later it was also confirmed that Jenn Murray, David Gyasi, Chiwetel Ejiofor and Robert Lindsay had also joined the cast. Sam Riley, Imelda Staunton, Juno Temple and Lesley Manville were also confirmed to reprise their roles from the prior film. In June 2018, Judith Shekoni joined the cast.
The visual effects were provided by Moving Picture Company and Mill Film, Supervised by Jessica Norman, Damien Stumpf, Brian Litson, Ferran Domenech, Laurent Gillet and Gary Brozenich as the Overall Supervisor.
The first trailer for the film was released on May 13, 2019.
- Perry, Spencer (June 10, 2018). "Disney Movie Release Dates: Poppins Moves Up, Jungle Cruise Delayed". ComingSoon.net. Retrieved June 12, 2018.
- Edwards, Chris (July 15, 2018). "My Family star Robert Lindsay teases his role in Disney's Maleficent 2". Digital Spy. Retrieved July 28, 2018.
- "Warwick Davis to Host Star Wars Celebration Chicago 2019". StarWars.com. Retrieved 2019-03-10.
- "John Carew". Panorama Agency. Retrieved March 10, 2019.
- Coonan, Clifford (August 10, 2018). "Angelina Jolie Hints at 'Maleficent' Sequel in China". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved June 3, 2014.
- Fleming Jr, Mike (June 15, 2015). "'Maleficent' Sequel On Disney Drawing Board As Linda Woolverton Makes Scripting Deal". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved June 16, 2015.
- Lang, Brent (April 25, 2016). "Disney Claims Dates for Several New Movies; Confirms 'Jungle Book 2,' 'Mary Poppins' Sequel". Variety. Retrieved April 26, 2016.
- Sneider, Jeff (August 29, 2017). ""Maleficent 2" Moves Forward as Disney Taps "Spectre" Scribe Jez Butterworth to Rewrite Sequel (Exclusive)". The Tracking Board. Retrieved September 4, 2017.
- Hammond, Pete (September 3, 2017). "Telluride Film Festival: Angelina Jolie On Directing, Netflix, Oscar & 'Maleficent'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved September 4, 2017.
- Busch, Anita (October 3, 2017). "Joachim Rønning In Talks To Direct Disney's 'Maleficent 2'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved October 3, 2017.
- Kroll, Justin (April 17, 2018). "Ed Skrein Lands Villain Role in 'Maleficent' Sequel (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved April 24, 2018.
- Kroll, Justin (April 27, 2018). "Michelle Pfeiffer in Talks to Join Angelina Jolie in 'Maleficent 2' (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved April 29, 2018.
- Kroll, Justin (May 2, 2018). "'Trust' Star Harris Dickinson to Play the Prince in Disney's 'Maleficent 2' (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved May 28, 2018.
- Kroll, Justin (May 17, 2018). "'Fantastic Beasts' Actress Jenn Murray Joins 'Maleficent 2' (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved May 28, 2018.
- Tartaglione, Nancy (May 23, 2018). "David Gyasi Joins Disney's 'Maleficent' Sequel". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 28, 2018.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (May 29, 2018). "Robert Lindsay & Chiwetel Ejiofor Joining 'Maleficent II' As Cameras Roll". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 29, 2018.
- Clarke, Stewart (June 11, 2018). "'Maleficent 2' Adds Judith Shekoni of 'Heroes Reborn' and 'Ice' (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved June 8, 2018.
- Trent, John F. (May 29, 2018). "Disney Announces Maleficent II Begins Production with Star-Studded Cast List". Bounding Into Comics. Retrieved May 29, 2018.
- Chitwood, Adam (May 29, 2018). "Filming Begins on 'Maleficent II' as Cast and Synopsis Revealed". Collider. Retrieved May 29, 2018.
- Rønning, Joachim (August 24, 2018). "That's a wrap on Maleficent 2 - and what a ride it's been! A big thank you to this amazing UK crew for spending the summer with me at Pinewood Studios - so close to Heathrow, yet so far away :) I hope you all get some well deserved time off before your next adventure ✨✨✨ #maleficent2 @disney". Instagram.com. Retrieved August 24, 2018.
- Bonomolo, Cameron (August 26, 2018). "'Maleficent 2' Wraps Production". Comicbook.com. Retrieved August 26, 2018.
- "MALEFICENT: MISTRESS OF EVIL - The Art of VFX". www.artofvfx.com. Retrieved May 16, 2019.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (March 6, 2019). "Angelina Jolie Sequel 'Maleficent 2' Moves Up To Fall 2019". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved March 6, 2019.
- Lussier, Germain (May 13, 2019). "Angelina Jolie Is Back to Her Wicked Ways in the First Trailer for Maleficent: Mistress of Evil". io9. Retrieved May 13, 2019.